So what did you do today?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More work on the golf carts .I modified the battery racks of the old Cushman so I can use three 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries at $122 each instead of 6 GC 110's at $150 a pop .Plus revamped the hap hazard ,half azzed method somebody used to anchor the mechanical speed switch .Chicken wire and bubble gum method .--some people --

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the other cart which is an EZGO golf cart not an industrial cart like the Cushman .The battery racks are completly rusted out as well as the anchor point for the more modern speed controller .Cosmetically it looks good not an ugly duckling like the Cushman .Because of the way it's made the racks for all intends can not be modified .Right now I'll use three size 24 automotive batteries but if that doesn't work well I can change them to three smaller marine batteries which are the same size as a size 24 . The automotive batteries should be okay as long as the voltage doesn't get below 10.5 volts before it's recharged .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as DC drive systems they all work about the same but that stiffles a lot of people not me .I started out at 19 years old in the US Navy submarine service on both nuke and diesel electric subs .In nautical slang terms I've sailed around the horn several times and did not retire as an electrician until I was 70.5 years old ,5 years ago .All that know how is in a place in my noggin that just needed to be awakened .I can't remember what I ate yesterday but this stuff I'll never forget .

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hey al, the newer golf carts run 4 12v deep cycle batteries in their 48 volt carts there may be deeper cycle that the marine ones

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm only guessing but likely if you didn't run them much lower than 10.5 volts before a charge the marine or maybe even automobile batteries would hold up ..You can get 5-6 years out of a car battery and maybe 3 from a mower battery .Of course there's lithium but my word do they cost .
This is just an experiment I fell into . As far as golf I'd just as soon as watch paint dry .
Off subject but even the giant lead acid batteries from a WW2 era sub only last about 7-8 years .That was big deal deal changing them .Those were 250 volt and another story all together .

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i havent got more than a couple of months past the warranty period on a car battery in years. several that crapped out almost exactly at the month so there wasnt any warranty left at all.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got em once .JC Penny battery life time warrenty in the original vehicle .Once for the 1966 Olds 442 and two times more after .They wanted to see the car.My reply ,can't car won't start bad battery .:aplastao:
costco had a good warranty for a long time 48 month free replacement not pro rated. but alas now they are prorated like every where else excepth they still honor it with no questions. i got two batteries for my truck at 45 months with them before they changed to 36 months pro rated

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Passed pressure vac test. My procedure is to assemble. Test. Half tank to tank at ide only. Test. Get 2 tanks in wood. Test. 2 in a row failed test 3. An 880 developed a air leak in the carb boot at the cylinder. The second was a 460. Piston warped. Taking it out of center and ate its self. HL supply finally got back to me. Going to see what happens.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my procedure is similar pressure and vac test if passes. gas em up run the snot out of them. so far so good. i had an 046 lose the seals after 30 tanks or so but it didnt cook anything got lucky

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Passed pressure vac test. My procedure is to assemble. Test. Half tank to tank at ide only. Test. Get 2 tanks in wood. Test. 2 in a row failed test 3. An 880 developed a air leak in the carb boot at the cylinder. The second was a 460. Piston warped. Taking it out of center and ate its self. HL supply finally got back to me. Going to see what happens.
You actually expect these kit saws to be warranted?