Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Splitting technique also weighs in a lot.

I rarely try to split large rounds in halfs/quarters, I like to slice them up from the outside to the center.
It works for me and I don't ever utilize a maul.

These I sliced up and chooped further down in size .
IMG_20211018_110744.jpg

These I only quartered.
IMG_20211019_104114.jpg

IMG_20211019_111149.jpg

All turkey oak 24+" in diameter, all rounds were split with a 1.8Kg ax sporting a 40" long handle.

It helps a lot if You can spot natural "break points" in the round/wood and place the splitting hit into it.

Different wood species behave differently though, no argument there!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am on my second morning coffee.

It is raining outside, either I'll stay in and enjoy the weekend, or I'll go outside and sharpen about half a dozen chains.

I am currently leaning toward staying in the house, but I also want my saws to be ready for action.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am on my second morning coffee.

It is raining outside, either I'll stay in and enjoy the weekend, or I'll go outside and sharpen about half a dozen chains.

I am currently leaning toward staying in the house, but I also want my saws to be ready for action.

Do both
Stay in house for a while then go sharpen chains [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do both
Stay in house for a while then go sharpen chains [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey hilltop
I did, got outside at 11AM, came back inside at 7PM. ;)

I cleaned and maintenanced a neighbors Husqvarna 365 Special, took me a while (3 passes) to sharpen/file the rocked Stihl RS chain.
The saw was ran with a Stihl bar (12mm slot) without any adapter, the clutch cover is fairly mushed up.
IMG_20211023_124411.jpg

I made "adapters" from two M8 nuts, it is a little flimsy to set up but it works well.

Watching TV (BluRay) now.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned the garage all day. I gotta start getting rid of items I have in multiple quantities. Just to much stuff & being blessed with being able to purchase it turns into a dog gone curse when you wind up with so much of it. Dad passed away a few years back & so did father in law. Inherited a lot of nice tools but in actuality how many carpenters hammers/ socket sets/ electric drills / does one guy need.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cleaned my air filter and resealed it with grease well enough to make @Wilhelm proud (no filter pics sadly)

Touched up my chain

Tanked up on YamaScuff at 32:1 and filled the oil reservoir

Had to cut up a pile of limbs that I couldn’t break that I had been putting aside because they were too long for the pickup bed

Made one dump run and filled the bed for another

Got some cleanup to do by hand and a trash can but got all the piles lining the driveway finally

528ad63c53f78bf3be4093676eb6b33d.jpg

98b0b2f2e3b8cde848918dd45f1e091c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New BAHCO Oberg round file did not survive sharpening a rocked factory round ground Stihl RS loop (it took three passes), very disapointing! :(

That sucks to hear

The list of files that suck seems to be growing and the list of keepers is getting down to an alarming level

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cleaned my air filter and resealed it with grease well enough to make @Wilhelm proud (no filter pics sadly)

Touched up my chain

Tanked up on YamaScuff at 32:1 and filled the oil reservoir

Had to cut up a pile of limbs that I couldn’t break that I had been putting aside because they were too long for the pickup bed

Made one dump run and filled the bed for another

Got some cleanup to do by hand and a trash can but got all the piles lining the driveway finally

528ad63c53f78bf3be4093676eb6b33d.jpg

98b0b2f2e3b8cde848918dd45f1e091c.jpg

I am wanting to add a Dolmar PS-5105 to my collection! :cool:

That sucks to hear

The list of files that suck seems to be growing and the list of keepers is getting down to an alarming level
I even took one pass off the teeth with an old Stihl file, the BAHCO file still dulled alarmingly fast. :(

I will try get a couple more to make certain it wasn't a fluke.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wanting to add a Dolmar PS-5105 to my collection! :cool:

I even took one pass off the teeth with an old Stihl file, the BAHCO file still dulled alarmingly fast. :(

I will try get a couple more to make certain it wasn't a fluke.

I wish I had run a stock 5105 so I had a comparison but with the MMWS port job this thing is a beast

I like your plan to check consistency and it would be cool if you could find some somewhere other than where you bought your Bahco

Just to see if maybe a different batch or something made a difference

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New BAHCO Oberg round file did not survive sharpening a rocked factory round ground Stihl RS loop (it took three passes), very disapointing! :(

Just a suggestion

Maybe you might want to post this result in the “who’s making good round files” thread as well

I know it’s a few years old but stuff seems to get posted there often enough that it’s kind of the reference thread for stuffs like this

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What sorta camper top deal you got going on here?

It's a Softopper, made of a canvas type material. probably one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. the rear panel is removed, but all 4 sides roll up. It easily folds forward & the whole thing can be removed in less than a minute. best of all, made in the USA.

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snapchat-1496389429.jpg Snapchat-167982847.jpg

stopped over at my buddys place this afternoon, he had some of his property logged. they left the tops & he said come cut & take as much as you want. helped him get stuff cleaned up, ran out of daylight so I didn't get much cutting done. but I'll be there all day tomorrow

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a suggestion

Maybe you might want to post this result in the “who’s making good round files” thread as well

I know it’s a few years old but stuff seems to get posted there often enough that it’s kind of the reference thread for stuffs like this

Will do, didn't think of it last night! :)

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Switched tires on truck to winter (salt rim) ones. Split a little more red oak in between lake effect rain showers. Bet @huskihl has seen them, before it switches to snow soon.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Switched tires on truck to winter (salt rims) ones. Split a little more red oak in between lake effect rain showers. Bet @huskihl has seen them, before it switches to snow soon.
Gat damn near every day here until January. Rain for 4 days, cloudy and no rain for 1, rain for 4 days…..

We don’t see sunshine very often from October through March