So what did you do today?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure, get a Alaska Clone, mill to the thickness you want, then use a skill saw and/or table saw to make them the right width.

I built my upstate cabin (in the Catskills) with 6.5" x 6.5" Ash for the posts and beams, all milled with the Beam Machine. That is the least expensive one, but requires some set up time. The 2X4 you use as a guide must be perfectly straight, and level (side to side, not end to end).

You can run as many as you want for the length you want (I have some 27' Ash beams).

Not as precise as the other guides, but if you learn to be consistent with it, it can turn out some good products.

For wider boards, I would recommend one of the other setups.

For the Alaska mill, a lot of folks use a ladder as a guide.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I was working on a Stihl FS250 trimmer today that I bought "as is" at a sale and after redoing the carb it would idle but wouldn't rev up. Max rpm I could get was probably about 25%. So since I didn't think it was the carb, fuel lines or filter, had new gas, I'm thinking bet it needs the valves adjusted. But then...I decided to take a look at the muffler and lo and behold, I found the problem. This is a pic of the spark screen that screws into the muffler. (it's basically the tail pipe). I don't think the "screen" was passing much airflow. Don't know how it ran at all as I couldn't find any opening in it anywhere.
upload_2020-8-7_21-53-25.jpeg

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sharpened a couple of chains for the 5105. Good news is my filing has improved quite a bit. Bad news is that a sharp chisel chain will cut the $hit out of your finger and I’m still a dumba$$.

I did another muffler mod on a 2nd 590 and trimmed the limiter tabs. Have a little more chain sharpening to do tomorrow and everything will be caught up for now.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sharpened a couple of chains for the 5105. Good news is my filing has improved quite a bit. Bad news is that a sharp chisel chain will cut the $hit out of your finger and I’m still a dumba$$.

I did another muffler mod on a 2nd 590 and trimmed the limiter tabs. Have a little more chain sharpening to do tomorrow and everything will be caught up for now.
Caught up? I’m not sure I know what that means. If you’re caught up you must not be doing something right

luckydad

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pool company came and layed out our new pool, digging in a couple weeks.
fa402d653b8f916fea116fd6e6d096ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought one of the spindles was bad on dads mower. Jacked it up and got under it today. Everything was tight, so I changed the blades and got out from under it. Set a block in the seat and fired up the mower to engage the blades at low rpm to see what was happening. The belt was flopping and yanking the tensioner pulley around. Shut it down and pulled the belt around slowly to inspect it. There were several big chunks missing out of it about an inch long or more in a couple areas where it was about to break and it was really barking when those areas were running through the pulleys. I’ll grab a new belt while I’m in town tomorrow and I’d much rather put a new belt on than a spindle!

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It started out with a commercial fire wood guy asking me if I could fix his MS460. He then asked if I had any saws to sell.

Well, I had a couple of Asian clones I don't need, so I brought two of them over (with full disclosure of what they are). (a 440 big bore and a ported 660).

Well, they like both of them, but were ga ga over the 660, so we made a deal. Then some tree service guys come over. Seems the fire wood guy leases outdoor space for 4 different tree service companies to store their vehicles. The tree service guy tests and buys the 440 big bore, and also runs the other guys 660. He buys the 440 on the spot and asks me to build him two Asian 660s!

I also end up going home with the 460 to repair from the fire wood guy, and 6 saws from the tree guy (3 are just parts saws). There is another 460, an 880, two 441 parts saws, and two top handle saws (one is just for parts, the other seems to have a clutch problem).

I will miss my Asian 660 Blue Beast, it is a good running saw, but I just have too many to keep them all. It is just a hair less powerful than my Flying Tiger, and had a ported Cross cylinder and a Meteor piston.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mowed the lawn in the late evening till dark.

Also, a coworker came by to drop off a desktop PC part (VGA card), we chatted a little and had a beer.
He let me turn his BMW around in my yard. Damn, close to 200hp Diesel requires next to no throttle first gear and reverse.
Wouldn't wanna own one of those though, he is facing about 1500$ worth of maintenance expenses (if done in an official BMW shop).
It's an expensive chick magnet, whichever females fall for that don't deserve any better anyways.

I cuddled a lot with my moms pup Heidi.
IMAG0875.jpg