High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

So what did you do today?

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
For those that don't know and most really probably don't care anyways I closed up my small tree service as of the end of 2019. Now I spend my days working as a Ford tech. My entire background has been around automotive since I was a little guy. Now with it being around holidays work is super slow. I should probably bring in a saw to work on then during down time I can tinker there on stuff. We are flat rate so no work no pay. It will get busy after 1st of year. It usually does. So today I did little for little pay so how's that:confused:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those that don't know and most really probably don't care anyways I closed up my small tree service as of the end of 2019. Now I spend my days working as a Ford tech. My entire background has been around automotive since I was a little guy. Now with it being around holidays work is super slow. I should probably bring in a saw to work on then during down time I can tinker there on stuff. We are flat rate so no work no pay. It will get busy after 1st of year. It usually does. So today I did little for little pay so how's that:confused:

Sucks to see small businesses go under

Hope the wrench gig kicks into high gear for you

Good thoughts for the new year

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify. I didn't go under. I choose to shut it down. I couldn't keep up with it with the equipment I was running and wasn't able to find anyone worth hiring to grow the business. At my age I was at a cross roads. Ether go big or go another direction for work that is easier on myself , wife and family. Plan to be retired in 10 years or less. The business itself was great. Just not easy when the only person I could rely on to help was my 120 lb wife to do all the ground work when she already works a full time job. She sure knows how to run a lowering device like and expert. Something I truly enjoyed working with. A decision had to be made in everyone's best interest. I also have asthma so every time I finished a tree removal or large stump grinding job my breathing was not good and I have never smoked a cig in my life, but have lots of them not by choice. Thanks Mom!

If I had seen this opportunity with the tree 20 years ago I would be all in.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut down a huge tree today...

Should have video'd it, but I took down the Christmas tree and limbed it with the 7300 and cut the tree up in pieces. It was hard work for 30 seconds.

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last big tree I did.
22f374b8db427f1f106590a886b1b5cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude, is that $hit ever going to end?

Is this routine maintenance or upgrades or what?

Are you being punished?

Damn

:tiburon:
We do Depot Level maintenance on C-17’s. Combination of routine/flight hour maintenance and many upgrades on the entire AF active/reserve/National Guard fleet. It’s a 365 day a year job, for as many decades as you can stand before you pull the plug and retire. It never ends. Robins also does Depot Level maintenance on F-15’s, C-5’s, C-130’s, EC-8 JSTARS, RQ-4 Global Hawks as well. It’s a busy flightline.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its the small things that will get you..

A couple of years ago I purchased a stihl 036 along with a ms390 as a package deal from a golf course. The 036 had a 18" bar and the 390 had a 20" bar. With a little maintenance and cleanup they were both running.

I installed the 18" bar on the ms390 and put it to work. All good.

I put the 20" bar on the 036 and gave it a test run, no bar oil. I removed the drum and found it to be cracked, ordered and installed updated version with the large rim. I removed clutch to find the plastic worm gear had failed. Cleaned out the debris and installed new aftermarket worm. Installed the 20" bar and went to test cut. Chain oiled fine for about a 1/4 tank and started to get warm/dry. Removed bar and chain, checked tank vent, took a blow gun and blew the rails out. Blew air through the oil holes on bar to clean out. Topped off oil and test ran without bar, pumped oil fine. Installed bar and test cut for about a 1/4 to 1/3 tank and again chain got dry. Set saw to the side, time to read up and study the internet for suggestions.

Months later I found a suggestion about draining the oil, rinsing with gas, and actually letting the saw pump the gas with the bar off to remove any contaminants. I did that and put saw back to work cutting firewood. It seemed fine for a few days and all of a sudden dry. I remembered that when I was surfing the internet for a cure to the problem, aftermarket worm gears were not highly respected. Naturally this will be the problem. Ordered brand spanking new worm gear from the STIHL dealer. Removed clutch and found old gear to appear fine but installed new one. Test cut and again after doing the same practice of blowing the bar rails and oil hole out it seemed good for about a half of tank. Put saw on the way back burner.

A couple weeks ago had to rearrange my corn crib where i stack my wood and saw the 036 from satan. The stubborn german in me kicked in and I decided to give it another try. I disassembled and removed oil pump. In the attempt to remove the suction hose and screen I tore it slightly. I noticed it seemed kind of hard and brittle. Maybe it was not pliable enough to keep sealed against pump. Ordered new suction hose and oil tube kit from hell. With pump removed and turning the gear by hand, it pulsed oil out fine.

That brings us to today. New parts are here, saw is cleaned up, tank is spotless and time to put together. Suction hose and screen into tank-easy. New oil tube to bar-not so much. Attempted to install tube on pump cold, not a chance. Warmed up with hair dryer, got over first barb and stopped. Go find the worst china pliers and drill a .200" hole in the jaws. Reheated tube and pump and with pliers was able to get on the rest of the way. Finished assembling saw and test ran with out the bar. Pumped oil instantly. cleaned off the bar with the blowgun and installed. Started saw and warmed up. I noticed it was oiling nicely. I made a short cut and set saw to side idling while moving some wood around for more cutting. When I went to cut, oil came slinging off the chain like a non pro 026 with a crank driven pump. Happy me, until... several cuts later, not enough oil. WTF?

Just for chits and grins removed bar and inspected and found oil hole to be blocked with saw dust. What do I have to loose, installed 18" bar. Cut wood a few hours with 18" bar and seems to work fine. I'm confused. Is the chain for 20" bar causing a problem? Did I get the rails too tight when doing bar maintenance? Are the oil holes formed differently on this stihl bar than the others? Time to investigate. Wiped off bar with a rag and grabbed a pick that fits between the rails. Doug out the burnt sawdust from not having oil from between the rails. Got to the rear portion on one side and felt a slight bump. I scraped around with an oring pick and cleared the oil passage and sure enough it was partially blocked but not with sawdust. It was hard. It felt like the right angle pick was about to break when it finnaly freed itself from the grove. Its a 1/4" long and .050 wide. It does not stick to a magnet so im guessing its aluminum. bar junk.jpg

The saw might have worked fine if the bar would have been installed the other way. I was always mindfull to put the more worn side up. This time it cost me.
Thats what I did today!

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We do Depot Level maintenance on C-17’s. Combination of routine/flight hour maintenance and many upgrades on the entire AF active/reserve/National Guard fleet. It’s a 365 day a year job, for as many decades as you can stand before you pull the plug and retire. It never ends. Robins also does Depot Level maintenance on F-15’s, C-5’s, C-130’s, EC-8 JSTARS, RQ-4 Global Hawks as well. It’s a busy flightline.

It never ends. LOL, there is always another aircraft waiting somewhere that conveniently takes the spot of the completed aircraft. It's when they stop coming and you are sitting in an empty hangar you worry.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It never ends. LOL, there is always another aircraft waiting somewhere that conveniently takes the spot of the completed aircraft. It's when they stop coming and you are sitting in an empty hangar you worry.
We keep twelve C-17’s under hangar roofs at all times seven days a week, another four to five get worked outside. The only time a hangar dock is empty is when a bird is tugged out and taken to Functional Test for ops checks/flight control checks/engine runs. When everything checks, another C-17 outside is tugged in to take its’ place. It’s a never ending cycle.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to town to get oil change supplies for my car, and while at Walmart someone decided they needed my small saw(Makita DCS34) more than me. I came out to an open trunk and missing saw and small tool box that had an extra bar, few chains and some other small stuff. I'm pissed. I use that saw almost daily :(

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk