Saw video thread

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to clarify if I may. Standard spline is smaller than large spline. Large spline fits 066/660, standard spline fits 044/440.
Some 036s are still microspline if it has the smaller 10x13x10 bearing. With the upgraded 10x16x12 bearing and sprocket, they use standard spline.
044/440 uses same rims as 066/660. Large/standard is one in the same size. There is large/standard, small, and stihls proprietary micro spline.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And sprocket size affects the oil rate too, so big sprockets don't go with big bars in that sense.
You get the same amount of oil with a 7 or 8 pin. People get confused and think larger sprocket you get more oil. Nope... just more chainspeed. The oil pump worm driver and stroke of the pump determines max output. So your actually wearing the bar and chain faster with a 8 pin... because it’s getting the same oil output as a 7 pin with increased chain speed.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some saws oil output is enough to handle the increased chainspeed and some not so much. I find a 24” 3/8 with a 8 pin needs about the same oil as a 28” 3/8 with a 7 pin for example.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You get the same amount of oil with a 7 or 8 pin. People get confused and think larger sprocket you get more oil. Nope... just more chainspeed. The oil pump worm driver and stroke of the pump determines max output. So your actually wearing the bar and chain faster with a 8 pin... because it’s getting the same oil output as a 7 pin with increased chain speed.
I meant the sprocket affects the effective oil rate, not the pump volume rate, but oil per chain distance traveled, kinda the same as far as the chain is concerned. Plus if you cut more wood with fewer RPMs with a bigger sprocket, then your oil lasts longer, according to the amount of wood cut, as if the oil rate was decreased.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant the sprocket affects the effective oil rate, not the pump volume rate, but oil per chain distance traveled, kinda the same as far as the chain is concerned. Plus if you cut more wood with fewer RPMs with a bigger sprocket, then your oil lasts longer, according to the amount of wood cut, as if the oil rate was decreased.
A larger sprocket does not improve oil output, if that’s what your saying?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do think some saws can benefit from it depending on what your doing and the bar length/chain used. Especially a 90cc with a short bar. Some of the older big saws can benefit too, they don’t have a lot of rpms, have a lot of torque and can use more chainspeed.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In theory. Come move a whole round to the splitter.

I agree with you Al … I have found it is easier to noodle with my saw than convert to splitter to vertical. I will half it, or quarter it, or whatever it takes, then just lift it into the splitter in horizontal mode. It goes much faster also.