RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK...
Maybe the way I file my chains, and the way my saws are tuned and run are a bit different? 6 of 1, half dozen of another.
I was just speaking from my experiences.
I choose a different path to get the job done...
My chains are NEVER, EVER Dull, and they cut very well. I have nothing to prove as far as that goes.
My chains fit my cutting techniques. I work alone 99% of the time, so I am into smoothness and match the chain to the wood and saw. I'm just a firewooder hacka with 40 plus years of experience in staying warm in the winter. I experiment alot with different things. Just conveying my thoughts and ideas with the regular average guy.
I got nothing for you PROS.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK...
Maybe the way I file my chains, and the way my saws are tuned and run are a bit different? 6 of 1, half dozen of another.
I was just speaking from my experiences.
I choose a different path to get the job done...
My chains are NEVER, EVER Dull, and they cut very well. I have nothing to prove as far as that goes.
We aren’t hating on you Jeff. Just straightening out misconstrued information that you are passing on as fact.
Chains don’t need “time” to cut, they need to be sharpened properly for the saw and wood type.
Your saws and chains may cut well for your perspective and that’s all that matters.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never pass anything on as fact. Just my experiences and observations. They may be different from yours, and Kevin's. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong. I speak in layman's terms.
It's all good in the hood...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never pass anything on as fact. Just my experiences and observations. They may be different from yours, and Kevin's. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong. I speak in layman's terms.
It's all good in the hood...
A few years ago a farmer gave me some locust fence posts that were 60yrs old and it didn't matter how fast or sharp the chain was they all took little chips, with stuff like that I have gotten the best results from old .404 chipper chain.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years ago a farmer gave me some locust fence posts that were 60yrs old and it didn't matter how fast or sharp the chain was they all took little chips, with stuff like that I have gotten the best results from old .404 chipper chain.

About twenty years ago I had to fall and buck some larger Hemlock on the coast that were all "sand blown", meaning the sand had impregnated the bark of the trees from years of wind storms.

I ended up running Oregon .404" "Micro-Chisel" which is a sort of hybrid between semi-chisel and chisel, but with a more semi-chisel profile. It worked great. I'd hand file every couple of tanks.

Regular square-ground .375" was only lasting about 15 minutes.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About twenty years ago I had to fall and buck some larger Hemlock on the coast that were all "sand blown", meaning the sand had impregnated the bark of the trees from years of wind storms.

I ended up running Oregon .404" "Micro-Chisel" which is a sort of hybrid between semi-chisel and chisel, but with a more semi-chisel profile. It worked great. I'd hand file every couple of tanks.

In that conditions the big chains shine

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Now you know what we cut around here every day but we have to pull the file out every tank .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now you know what we cut around here every day but we have to pull the file out every tank .
Honestly that probably makes you very good at sharpening!
I can only think of a few people who are obsessed with sharp chains around me. I can't think of a more disappointing scene than when I pull up to a storm damage area and see someone burning their way through a tree.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to be clear I was talking about vids I've seen on youtube guy's running big power heads 3foot bars and crazy chain speed must be trying to run 10pins?
Is actually scary to watch not much in the way of in control going on dude hanging on for dear life saw's climbing in the cut pushing back out of the cut yeah thats safe lol