Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 500 and the big honker in the last video rip, nicely done!!! The 462 isn't terrible either ;)
That rock hard crotch gave the smaller saws a HUGE advantage, as we made each cut, the next saw had more to cut. We started small and went bigger. The cut times for the ported 462 were pretty good considering she was wearing an 8 tooth. Its got grunt and unless you ran the other saws, you'd think that ported 462 had a pair.

Then we ran the ported 500i ............... just start the videos to see, start the 462 video first, dont even hit pause, (heck, you can even take your time to adjust the volume on both) then start the 500i. Incredible what it does with them 7cc's

Enter that ported 880 ............... we had to "work" the saw, otherwise it would eat and go hungry in the cut. Chainspeed was rediculous and effective, I like that saw alot !!!!

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That rock hard crotch gave the smaller saws a HUGE advantage, as we made each cut, the next saw had more to cut. We started small and went bigger. The cut times for the ported 462 were pretty good considering she was wearing an 8 tooth. Its got grunt and unless you ran the other saws, you'd think that ported 462 had a pair.

Then we ran the ported 500i ............... just start the videos to see, start the 462 video first, dont even hit pause, (heck, you can even take your time to adjust the volume on both) then start the 500i. Incredible what it does with them 7cc's

Enter that ported 880 ............... we had to "work" the saw, otherwise it would eat and go hungry in the cut. Chainspeed was rediculous and effective, I like that saw alot !!!!
Generally speaking here, I have found that sometimes too fast chain speed cuts a bit slower with a given chain. SOMETIMES, by going a bit slower, ie smaller rim sprocket, that the saw is allowed to take bigger, longer chips. Thus resulting in faster cutting times. GENERALLY SPEAKING HERE.
But those saw were definitely scooting right along. [emoji106]

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally speaking here, I have found that sometimes too fast chain speed cuts a bit slower with a given chain. SOMETIMES, by going a bit slower, ie smaller rim sprocket, that the saw is allowed to take bigger, longer chips. Thus resulting in faster cutting times. GENERALLY SPEAKING HERE.
But those saw were definitely scooting right along. [emoji106]
Raker height and tooth sharpness have more to do with that than chain speed.
I have never encountered what you speak of Jeff.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your probably right. From my experiences, the wood density also has something to do with it. Maybe my chain was dialed in for slower chain speed? Sometimes wood is so hard that fast chain speed just skips across the top and takes smaller chips. Vs. Slower chain speed taking longer, bigger chips.
Maybe it's just me...

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Realistically, depending on how much you dog in. Rpm can change quite a bit, do you think chain speed would be much different than smaller sprocket and higher rpm?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally speaking, if what you're saying is true, you have a dull or mismatched chain for your application

Raker height and tooth sharpness have more to do with that than chain speed.
I have never encountered what you speak of Jeff.

THIS