MS462 Design Changes

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
2:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny how the STIHL sales guys are familiar all the shortcomings, problems, issues, with the Husqvarna and Echo Chainsaws . . .

Philbert
I believe that I've been trapped in conversation with ALL of the brand salesmen.
Sometimes I feel like pulling a Ron Swanson on them and saying, " leave me alone ,I know more than you."

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy I just checked my non-in Tronic you just did for me, do you know off the top of your head if it’s the new version from what I can tell the number is bigger so I’m assuming it’s the new version.

Yes. Your saw is the latest version.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really. They just decided that the divertor under the piston wasn't needed. That makes it simpler.....

Also to consider is that there was a rash of broken pistons on the 462. This change could be more about strengthening the slug than anything else I suppose.
Believe it or not mine is stock, 2 years running like that. It still works just fine. Running it till it pukes. I'm even a rebel and run it in 50 2 1. But I can sharpen a chain with a file. No excess heat on internal components.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well…After reading about this and the obvious bias arising out of the situation, I took my ported and polished 462 down and showed it some love. I know which version it is but it matters not to me.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why didn't they discover this when they were being tested ???
Real life field stressing is a far more heavier load to any machinery than half rigged laboratory testing will ever be!

Besides, nowadays the end user is the tester!
Those that must have the newest products even before they are officially released usually bathe out production faults and shortcomings.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Real life field stressing is a far more heavier load to any machinery than half rigged laboratory testing will ever be!

Besides, nowadays the end user is the tester!
Those that must have the newest products even before they are officially released usually bathe out production faults and shortcomings.
Those ham hands can break everything here.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
2:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Back at the STIHL booth at the State Fair. Different guys. Just as evasive. ‘Did not hear of it’. ‘I’m just a sales guy’. (Showed them the photos) ‘Probably was a materials thing’.

:-(

Philbert
I love watching reps dodging for cover when they are pushing something else

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An easy way for seeing the difference in displacement.
Fill a beaker with water to the brim, And catch the water displaced by the saddle when it’s put into the beaker , you may want to add the old piston, or just compare the displacement of each piston .

the arithmetic is up to you. ;)

my guess is slightly more space (less case pressure) in the new version. But if it will make any difference is up the the dyno thread guys to Fathom out:)