MS462 Design Changes

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost sounds similar to the 10 mm 044s. A few of them had problems, and the rest of them seem to run forever even if abused!

That said, I'm glad to hear the problem was addressed so future buyers don't have to worry about it.

They seem to be selling so briskly that it is unlikely new buyers will get old stock.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think pictures of the damage are going to help or change anything. If @Shanesaw80 says he found a cracked piston and cylinder on what most of us would classify as a high hour saw then I am sure that is exactly what occured.
In the days before OPE Forum, I’d have called him out on this.

But !!

He has been working many years in the trees, and his posts now aren’t the immature drivel they were. I’ve grown to respect him and his posts, and if he says it, I believe it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that we are questioning his credibility asking for the photos of the carnage. I think it just helps to get a better understanding of what happened as far as damage is concerned.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I didn’t realize this would stir up like this or I wouldn’t have even mentioned it. Or the fact that people would question if I was telling the truth or not. So to appease people I asked my wife to try and take a pic of the piston for me and this is what she got.

As for the cylinder it’s still in a box that she couldn’t find so no pic of that. But if you really want confirmation of that then ask Shaun Carr. I had sent the cylinder to him for repair of the spark plug hole and it was him that told me about the cracks going from the intake to the strato ports on each side. I honestly didn’t even look, like I stated earlier the only reason I torn it apart was because of the spark plug. It was only after he pointed this out that I inspected the piston.

FCC00840-EF3A-4A44-9FBD-F184863FEF51.jpeg
B61C67C4-6B68-4207-8B54-5BD778E02A5A.png

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I didn’t realize this would stir up like this or I wouldn’t have even mentioned it. Or the fact that people would question if I was telling the truth or not. So to appease people I asked my wife to try and take a pic of the piston for me and this is what she got.

As for the cylinder it’s still in a box that she couldn’t find so no pic of that. But if you really want confirmation of that then ask Shaun Carr. I had sent the cylinder to him for repair of the spark plug hole and it was him that told me about the cracks going from the intake to the strato ports on each side. I honestly didn’t even look, like I stated earlier the only reason I torn it apart was because of the spark plug. It was only after he pointed this out that I inspected the piston.

View attachment 318598
View attachment 318599

I never doubted your word brother.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... I asked my wife to try and take a pic of the piston for me and this is what she got. ...
View attachment 318599
Thanks to you and your wife for the helpful images, which show two symmetrical failure lines on each side of the "notch". I suspect that the shiny portion closer to the top of the piston retained more heat from combustion while the lower skirt was cooled by the air/fuel mixture. Resulting differential thermal expansion rates between these two areas plus metal fatigue over time were resolved when the shiny area was displaced outward along the two fault lines. Pretty sure that this is what Stihl was seeing when they made the design changes.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was waiting for Shane to come home safety and take pictures.. Just for curiosity not doubting though.

I highly suspect that is metal fatigue. When those parts get loads and unloads too much. Like plane windows are rounded so cabin pressured and unpressured wont fatigued the corner of the squared windows. Learn that from Air Crash Investigation.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the days before OPE Forum, I’d have called him out on this.

But !!

He has been working many years in the trees, and his posts now aren’t the immature drivel they were. I’ve grown to respect him and his posts, and if he says it, I believe it.
It seems that I have mistaken this Shane for the old "Westcoaster" Shane
My apologies for my confusion @Shanesaw80