Let's Talk With Bill G Awhile

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"cicada killer " wasp perhaps .BTW Ill.is supposed to have a bumper crop of both 17 and 13 year locusts this years according to what I've read on the net .

1718626604753.png

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding those wasps or whatever they are only the females have stingers .Which if so being wasps they are not like honey bee with a barbed stinger .A wasp or a hornet can sting you like a Singer sewing machine ,a bee can't .One and done .
I once had a bunch of hornets make a nest under the track of one of my D4 caterpillars I didn't know about .In moving the dozer it knocked the nest loose then what almost acted like million of the little azz holes launched an attack on me which caused me to abandon ship .That old antique had a hand clutch so there it went driver less clanking across a field .I had to run it down .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever the surrounding allows it I try and burn them.

Can't do that in my woodshed nor stables, so I go in with a fresh insect killer spray can and very good footwear.
They are resilient buggers though.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some fun stuff in your pipe and blow the smoke at them. Grab a gallon zip loc and peel it off the ladder. Toss some marinade in and let them cook for a while lol
The bastards made the nest right on a ladder rung. The other night I thought I could be real stealthy and climb up and get them. I had a big Zip-Loc with me. The problem was I am trying to hold the bag, and the flashlight while staying on the ladder. They were not happy. I have thought about some type of smoke but I am not sure. I could dose it with chemicals and kill them but I actually want to get a closer look at them. I have been stung by Hornets before but I never took time to examine them as they were stinging my arse.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that a Allis Chalmers 180 with a 7 ft mower will NOT outrun angry Hornets, and they do not give up once you shred their nest.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW Ill.is supposed to have a bumper crop of both 17 and 13 year locusts this years according to what I've read on the net .
Here in southern IL it is hit or miss. If I go 20 miles north or east the cicadas are so loud you can easily hear them while driving. I've only heard a few right where we are.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hornets are kind of funny because they home in on the location like they have a built in GPS not the object .That dozer deal they buzzed around where it used to be not where it was at the time .
Wild bees how ever will follow the nest like in a hollow log and hauled away .Dealt with that deal once also hollow limb from a big oak .I doused the logs with kerosene under the cover of darkness and tossed a match on it .Crispy critters .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't seen or heard the cicadas for a couple of years or the hornets .The local hill billies call them jar flies whatever that means .Maybe they stick them in a Mason jar full of moon shine like the worm in mescal .Sounds terrible !

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...............Bill I could almost recreate that cast iron pan picture to a T. I have the same pan, yellow dish and hog cutting board !!

When I taught high school woodworking, cutting boards were a nice part of my program. When I changed schools and switched from AG/FFA to Industrial Technology I had to juggle some old ideas with modern ones. The great state of Illinois is big on politically pleasing names for courses. For years the first level course was Intro to Industrial Arts. It was a one year course with 9 weeks of drafting, 9 weeks of woodworking, 9 weeks of sheet metal, and 9 weeks of plastics. Well in the late 1980's Illinois decided the names we had for courses were outdated and forced schools to change them. When I started teaching Industrial Technology the names had all changed. I had a very odd but actually enjoyable position. There was a district that had two full time teachers but needed a third person mornings only. There was a district 10 miles east that was in financial problems and reduced their Industrial Tech program to 1/2 time. I taught mornings in one and afternoons in the other.

Now in the first district the lead instructor followed the "Illinois Plan" to the letter. Yes folks it was actually called the Illinois Plan. Most of us who took shop courses years ago built our own projects and they varied in quality based on our skillset at the time. Well the Illinois Plan threw all that out. They titled the beginning course Production Technology. The students were no longer supposed to build individual projects. They were to form a production group in which each student was assigned a job in the production cycle. They were to mass produce items and sell them. No student was taught anything about pride in work, just get your job done and send it to the next person. It was dumb as chit. I hated it but I had to follow it in the morning school since I was the junior guy. In the afternoon school I was a one man show and we did it the old way, the right way!

Well one of the projects that was very successful was small cutting boards. We made them from strips of Walnut and either Maple or Oak. They were alternated to give it a nice color variation. The strips were 1-2" wide and the boards were about 12" x 16". They were a big hit. Well as my oldest son started into 4-H and woodworking projects for 4-H he did some pretty nice projects but the one that gained the most attention was a cutting board. I had switched to teaching in my home district and had access to their tools and all of my own. He built a 16" x 24" butcher block style cutting board. It was 2" thick and was done on end grain. Each section was 1" x 3/4". It was also alternating Walnut and either Maple or Oak. That style is a ton of work with a lot of gluing and clamping. The end result is well worth it though

For years many of my students wanted to build cutting boards so it became a normal project. When I finally got a 8th grade exploratory it was was the standard project every 9 weeks. We did them flat though as I did not have time for end grain nor were the students ready for that. I had to alter the strip widths with each class depending on the maturity of the students. Some were safe at 1.5" but some we went as wide as 3". Once you have a student nail three fingers on the table saw you become a little gun shy.

During each class I made one with them but sadly I do not have a single one of them now. Of course my sone still has his.

Here are some example pictures.

Ran flat.

1718654876873.png

On end grain.

1718654912353.png

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What ever that hornet/wasp is it resembles one that live in the ground and like 17 year locust larva .They act like thay have intelligence and will not harm you .They might fly around you if you are cutting into half rotten or hollow logs because they know the larva will be in there .You cut out or split the rotten part off and expose the larva ,come back the next day and they've disected the insect and carted it off in pieces .
Hornets do attack and they do it viscously.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The insect knows that if it attacks you, it will lose its own life, so it will only do it as a last resort

Here is some reading.

Here is a excerpt.

Though honeybees have venom that’s more toxic than giant hornets, the bees can sting only once. Giant hornets can sting repeatedly, and are capable of delivering about 10 times more venom. The scientists determined that the venom in one giant hornet would be capable of killing about 10 mice—and that a small colony could kill a 150-pound animal.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a high pressure sprayer you could blast it with from the ground? Use Permethrin some Dawn.

As crazy as it sounds I want to take them alive. I want to see exactly what they are. If it was a simple wasp nest it would be gone instantly but these guys intrigue me

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in southern IL it is hit or miss. If I go 20 miles north or east the cicadas are so loud you can easily hear them while driving. I've only heard a few right where we are.
As of today we have none here

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I've had it happen. It hurts too.
I have one son that if he was attacked enough it just might kill him.

Many years ago there was a beekeeper from Wisconsin that was running around the area looking for places to put Honeybee hives. I did not want them here nor did my father. Between my brother and I we had a string of little kids and even though bees are safe I did not want the risk. Well my neighbor took the cattle out of the pasture across the road from my feedlot. He allowed the guy to put some hives there. I will say 10 months out of the year they were fine and there were zero issues. The problem was in the early spring when it was warming up. Them suckers would come out and they were hungry. There was no flowers on the trees or plants so they went looking for food. I feed ground cob meal and honeybees love it. They would swarm the wagon, the feed shoot, and pile into the feed bunks. They drove both me and the calves crazy. They were basically harmless and just a nuisance but if one got trapped in your clothing it would sting. One of my sons gout stung a few times and he reacted horribly. One trip to the ER and the bill that followed was it for me. I talked to other beekeepers and they all said the same thing. The beekeeper is lazy and not tending the hives. All he had to do was feed them in the spring for a short period of time and there would not be an issue.

The hives disappeared.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever I find a wasp/ hornet nest in the ground I park the mower over it and spray raid at the end of the chute, screw outrunning them stand and fight.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As crazy as it sounds I want to take them alive. I want to see exactly what they are. If it was a simple wasp nest it would be gone instantly but these guys intrigue me
You'd be better off stealing 1$ bills out of strippers G-strings!
But hey, whatever floats Your boat.
Though, have someone film You "taking them alive"! :thumbsup: