Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I am wondering why he wants to do that.
Alternator case would be the negative side. He would have to find an isolated case alternator with separate ground wire to keep it a positive ground system. Probably the price is the determining factor.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In his second sentence he mentioned the bearings went out on the current one.
Yes and they are rebuildable. Buesing's In Davenport Iowa was the king of doing it since 1925. They are gone now but there are others around.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I am wondering why he wants to do that.
parts availablity and prices, original altenator/generator is close to non existant.

I am sure theres an old guy who hasnt yet retired running an altenator/starter rebuild shop somewhere that could rebuild what its got, but unfortunatley the guy I used to use in Missoula shut down a few years ago and I havent researched anyone else.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alternator case would be the negative side. He would have to find an isolated case alternator with separate ground wire to keep it a positive ground system. Probably the price is the determining factor.

Though I've never done it...A GM one wire alt can supposedly be converted to positive ground. It would only be a matter of isolating the negative terminal from the case and grounding of the positive terminal.
Should be easier than rewiring everything electrical from positive ground to negative ground.

Edit: it would be worthwhile to ohm the negative wire terminal, once isolated from the case, and verify it isn't internally grounded as well.

It's possible I'm wrong....that happens sometimes.

There's probably a good article out there on the interwebs for such a conversion.

Last edited:

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes and they are rebuildable. Buesing's In Davenport Iowa was the king of doing it since 1925. They are gone now but there are others around.
We had several in the area for years, but I believe most have faded away. Last few starters/alternators we took in, we were told it would be cheaper to buy a new one that pay labor and parts to fix the older one. If armature and windings are good you can try a rebuild yourself. Used to you could walk into a parts store and pick up a kit that had brushes, rectifier and bushings for next to nothing for a chevy alternator. 230 Farmall in the field was positive ground an we put a 12v battery and alternator to it with no problem. Ballast resistor to the points to keep them from burning up was the only change we had to make. Starter was directional and didn't care which post it saw, positive or negative, on the switch.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
parts availablity and prices, original altenator/generator is close to non existant.

I am sure theres an old guy who hasnt yet retired running an altenator/starter rebuild shop somewhere that could rebuild what its got, but unfortunatley the guy I used to use in Missoula shut down a few years ago and I havent researched anyone else.
Buesing's here was awesome. That is where everyone sent their stuff. I believe at one time they also had a shop in Cedar Rapids Iowa. The main place was in a rough part of town in Davenport. You would go on there and there were 55 gallon drums full of starter, alternator, and generator parts. It looked like a dump but their work was top notch. I have personally walked in with an issue that any other place would have just sold me a new unit for $500. They said that was not the issue and did not charge me. The shop has been gone since about 2016 though.

I saw last night that Jensales up in Minnesota was advertising one for the TD-14 but from the generic application they provided I am very suspect on it. One of my son's works for the Deere heavy equipment dealer here. Of course I am sure they just remove and replace but I will ask him if they every send any out. Completely different animal but Saturday when he was here he was bringing back a hydraulic cylinder of my brother's Deere 700 dozer they had rebuilt.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apparently my pic did not load earlier. I have been sitting here the last few hours smoking a cigar or three and bullshuten saws on the phone. It is now well past dark and time to put on the bee suit .........

Sheet still did not load from my phone ........maybe from the ER

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I donned the bee suit and took the enemy alive in a cheap Wally World "Zip Loc " bag. They are pissed.

Damn Amazon suit was far from perfect and a couple made it in, It was still better than my bib overalls so I call it a success.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I donned the bee suit and took the enemy alive in a cheap Wally World "Zip Loc " bag. They are pissed.

Damn Amazon suit was far from perfect and a couple made it in, It was still better than my bib overalls so I call it a success.
If you're not posting this from the ER....sounds like a solid win Bill. 👍

Are you going to shake the bag up every now and to make sure they're still alive?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're not posting this from the ER....sounds like a solid win Bill. 👍

Are you going to shake the bag up every now and to make sure they're still alive?
You ought to see the pics I posted in October 2022 from the ER when I cooked my feet in oil. Some on "another" site got squismish when I posted skin graft surgery pics on my feet and legs.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ought to see the pics I posted in October 2022 from the ER when I cooked my feet in oil. Some on "another" site got squismish when I posted skin graft surgery pics on my feet and legs.
At least you didn’t have pics of your ass where the grafts came from 🤣

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
10:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Next time buy a D!(K suit!
Nothing wants to mess with a 5-6ft d!(K.

So, analysis made yet?
What are they?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...............So, analysis made yet?
What are they?
Mostly DEAD!.........well some got away.

All joking aside I really do not know. There are millions of subjects I am clueless on and insect identification is one. They appear to be some sort of a Hornet. The head and tail seem to be black and white with the body being black. I am going to "bug" one of our Illinois or Iowa Extension folks next week and see what they say. My gut is they are just simple Hornets.

1719082986701.png1719082986701.png

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time buy a D!(K suit!
Nothing wants to mess with a 5-6ft d!(K.
That reminds me of a funny story. My wife's family used to have a big Halloween bonfire and party. You were encouraged to wear a costume but not required. Well the first year we were dating was an awesome party. Her Mom made her Dad dress up as a cheerleader complete with a skirt and pom-poms. He had to wear a wig and makeup also. What really put it over the top was she made a huge phallus that was hanging out the bottom of the skirt. It was hilarious. Damn I wish I still had those pictures.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
10:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mostly DEAD!.........well some got away.

All joking aside I really do not know. There are millions of subjects I am clueless on and insect identification is one. They appear to be some sort of a Hornet. The head and tail seem to be black and white with the body being black. I am going to "bug" one of our Illinois or Iowa Extension folks next week and see what they say. My gut is they are just simple Hornets.

View attachment 423577View attachment 423577
If You can get a clearer more close up picture You can try searching it through Google Lens.
I am having decent search results looking up bugs and grubs.