Huskyboy meets the 572xp

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Times change my old man was telling me a story from back when he first started out as a cutter working for the big sawmills up north in the 70's as a cutter he worked with an old cutter (they all run 090's back then cutting old growth hardwood) he said the old guy was a pro old school cutter and he learned a lot from him.
Anyways this old cutter used to fell barefoot dad reckons he would never wear boots in the bush and he's feet were like dried up old leather and tuff as nails lol

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My old man was an old school logger he only knew how to do the job through his own and other old school loggers experiences built up over decades working in the bush.
Technically specking be almost jail time if one was to get pulled up by the scalies with a load of logs like that now days the rules have changed and continue to change almost daily what was ok once is no longer ok. About a foot under the top of the bolsters is what a legal load looks like here now days.

We can't even use a bench grinder on the job down here without a full day safety course our government keeps us all very safe from ourselves lol
Yes the days of us as kids learning how to drive front-end loaders and trucks in the bush are long gone and you and I both know where the best operators come from and It isn't no bloody classroom.
All these clever dicks who make these rules have never spent a day in the bush getting their hands dirty it's a joke any wonder everything is so expensive these days takes 20 people to change a *f-worden' light bulb

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An update... the chainbrake handle is definitely the weakest part of the 572xp. My boss and my coworker broke the ones on there saws recently. As did I as I mentioned a while back. The rest of the saw is quite durable for a 70cc saw. The brake handle needs to be made of a more flexible, forgiving or thicker plastic. It’s honestly not a big deal if you keep in mind to avoid any hits to the brake handle... but hopefully someone from husky reads this thread and changes the material.

I have to ask what you guys are doing that 3 of you broke brake handles? Just seems like a very uncommon part to break.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to ask what you guys are doing that 3 of you broke brake handles? Just seems like a very uncommon part to break.
Brake handles, handle bars and av mounts are one of the most common things to get hit or break on a production saw. If you read back through the thread, I explained how I broke the brake handle. It wasn’t a big deal, but I share everything I experience with the saw in this thread... good or bad. I was just surprised how fragile the material was compared to some saws I’ve used. I’ve knocked the brag flag a few times on my dolmar/makitas and never had a problem. The plastic is more flexible on those. Other than the weak brake flag, the 572 has held up very well for me. Knock on wood... lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will add my first 572 (the OG lol) has actually outlived my makita heated handles 7301. The main bearings failed (play on both sides of crank) on that saw after one logging season. I was a bit disappointed by that as I run good fuel mix and keep up on maintenance very well. The 572 running the same fuel mix, same maintenance and with more run time is doing just fine. I still like the makita, great saw. Maybe I got bad luck with that particular one, I never base my findings off one saw. But it has proven to me that the 572 is a durable saw.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brake handles, handle bars and av mounts are one of the most common things to get hit or break on a production saw. If you read back through the thread, I explained how I broke the brake handle. It wasn’t a big deal, but I share everything I experience with the saw in this thread... good or bad. I was just surprised how fragile the material was compared to some saws I’ve used. I’ve knocked the brag flag a few times on my dolmar/makitas and never had a problem. The plastic is more flexible on those. Other than the weak brake flag, the 572 has held up very well for me. Knock on wood... lol

I'm well aware of what typically breaks on a production saw as I've been production falling for a living for the past 22 years as well as teaching felling courses. I have read through this whole thread and know how you broke yours, was just wondering how the other 2 got broken. I see the odd chainsaw get smash by a tree or pulled down a slope and get destroyed but it's not common so I was curious on how it happened. Like I stated earlier in this thread my falling partner right now has 2 572's ported by CFB and a stock 572, all with a significant amount of run time on them and the brake flags are holding up just fine, it just didn't seem like a weak point in the saw. Again just my experience.

Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm well aware of what typically breaks on a production saw as I've been production falling for a living for the past 22 years as well as teaching felling courses. I have read through this whole thread and know how you broke yours, was just wondering how the other 2 got broken. I see the odd chainsaw get smash by a tree or pulled down a slope and get destroyed but it's not common so I was curious on how it happened. Like I stated earlier in this thread my falling partner right now has 2 572's ported by CFB and a stock 572, all with a significant amount of run time on them and the brake flags are holding up just fine, it just didn't seem like a weak point in the saw. Again just my experience.

I'm with you... Kinda question a few things. But I think he is still real new to timber falling. Of course I could be wrong and not a dig at Mason by no stretch.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again just my experience.
Actually your falling partner’s experience. But thanks for the input and speaking on his behalf. I would be interested to see him start a 572xp thread on his experiences. I would be interested to learn firsthand straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak.
I'm with you... Kinda question a few things. But I think he is still real new to timber falling. Of course I could be wrong and not a dig at Mason by no stretch.
I didn’t post my experiences and pass them off as facts like some do when they start a thread or post on OPE forum. That’s not what I’m trying to do, nor act like an internet tough guy. They are just my own experiences and opinions on the saw for people to read and learn from by there own decision. People can decide for themselves when they use the saw for themselves. Not everyone is going to have the same experiences, but that’s just how it is. You share your experiences and opinions so others can get motivated to experiment for themselves. People will form there own opinions. I respect that more than someone that is a follower or a doubter who does not even own the same saw. The worst is those guys that go by what “they heard” and post it up as facts.

Last edited:

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been beating on a 572 since march, in and out of the chip truck, chucked around the job site, threw in the tool box, other saws piled on top. No break handle troubles at all. I just dont care for the saw much. To contrary to start when you run it out of fuel when it's super hot out. Not bashing you, but lack of technique I think is what's the most likely fault of nb the break flag, not so much huskys design. Just my insight.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thursday , just so you know I'm not blowing smoke about having trigger time on one. Fortunately the 390 is always more than happy to make the 572 go sit in the corner.
deba337a50daa8a6d97d20b124ca9276.jpg
529c616625fa3471ebf1cac075fddcf3.jpg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shame it split and a yard tree to boot. Otherwise woulda been a nice payday at the mill! Looks like a red or black oak? Can’t tell from the picture.
Its not split. Its white oak. It's a natural check in the butt, the tree was well over 250 years old

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t know this was the new falling technique and logging thread? It would be cool to read a thread if you guys started one so we could learn from your techniques... clearly you are very experienced... I’d be all ears. Seriously.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna need a "residential" cutter North of Pittsburgh if any interest.
Huskey boy your post at 5.20 AM is exactly how I read these as I know next to no one here.
Back to lurking, carry on.