Huskyboy meets the 572xp

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this talk of fuel efficiency ported or not ported but the reality is it's the chain that matters.
Can the operater sharpen and maintain the chain many times throughout a day it only takes minutes so the saw is cutting at it's most efficient all day every day that's the real question.

This might be the fix for a thirsty saw guy's could run em 10hrs straight then.
Just run a fuel line to the carb no need to stop for anything.View attachment 266703
Very true, the key to utilising your saw is to keep it sharp.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever you wanna call it, just bolting up a V2 muffler makes a big difference over the old one.[/QUOTE
The four bolt muffler is what we get here, easy to open and work inside,
though some have way less restrictions now compared to only a few yearsr
back, I think they are realising the cooling effect of letting the gasses out,
indigestion must have taught them something.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever you wanna call it, just bolting up a V2 muffler makes a big difference over the old one.

As it should do - it's a factory muffler mod.

Another thing to consider when it comes to porting - now it doesn't matter so much what saw you get. Husky, Stihl, Echo, Dolmar, etc etc. You get whatever you can afford, or has good parts or service locally, pick your metric. Stock specs matter very little so long as the build quality is there. If you can get an Echo 7310 for $650 delivered, and if you can port the saw yourself, 70cc dyno threads mean very little. Even mildly ported, it's gonna make your job much easier. If it is easy on your bank account, all the better.

Which leads me to another point Huskyboy touched on. A saw doesn't have to be ported to within an inch of it's life to be valuable for work. If you just do a simple woods port, like the REAL woods port where you simply add some width and go easy on the timing, and maybe add some ignition advance and remove a gasket, the things will run well enough to improve your life. It won't win every GTG, but it will start every time you need it to, and the amount of fuel it burns won't upset you. In the end, maybe all ya need is a muffler mod.
My Dolmar 420 is ported, and runs strong. The last one I ported for someone else has 6* advance. Mine doesn't, and is ported more conservatively. It just gets the job done as it is.

It sort of reminds me of a time long ago, when a Norwegian man spent a good deal of his spare time demeaning Echo chainsaws that he had never used. Meanwhile, I was using an Echo 520 in logging and landscaping in England at the time that I had ported myself after paying $100 for it because it was the first 50cc chainsaw I saw for sale before literally hopping on a boat to the UK. When I checked her over and she looked great, I bought it because I knew I would get it to run how I needed it to regardless of her stock performance. When you already know you can port the thing, your options for a used saw can be wide open, especially if it is a common brand. And I used that thing to do stuff you usually do not ask a 50cc saw to do...

Last edited:

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A CS520, never heard of that model.
I see its a real model, none of the echo shops up here had them
during my visits.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in Europe we went from the 510 straight to the 530. Never seen a 520 here. I purchased that 520 stateside in Texas from a local outfit that cut railroad ties in San Antonio. That 520 lived a hard life.
I notice things are a bit different on our brands in Europe than we may find in the US. Like in the UK and Ireland, spark screens are often not even in the mufflers from the factory. And we often see different mufflers altogether. Many 261's and 241's I have see do not even have the little bolt or the hole in the muffler to hold a screen.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in Europe we went from the 510 straight to the 530. Never seen a 520 here. I purchased that 520 stateside in Texas from a local outfit that cut railroad ties in San Antonio. That 520 lived a hard life.
I notice things are a bit different on our brands in Europe than we may find in the US. Like in the UK and Ireland, spark screens are often not even in the mufflers from the factory. And we often see different mufflers altogether. Many 261's and 241's I have see do not even have the little bolt or the hole in the muffler to hold a screen.
That explains it, I had a look at the spec, right up there, 4.9kg,
took the others a while to get a saw that weight in the 50cc class,
and it had an external clutch, but they bettered it weight wise with the 501.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway, I nearly got kicked out of here before,
hint hint, off topic, and off to bed here.

Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel consumption ported 395 vs stock 395 is not enough difference to want to run a stock one...

But I get what Colton is saying and have had the same feelings.

Which, btw I'm sure y'all aint saying he dont know what a sharp chain cuts like because I seen his vids and he definately knows a sharp chain

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well for what it is worth I used to sell firewood to put food on the table My saw of choice for the larger stuff was an Ms 460 .
got Randy to port it with torque in mind not neck-breaking speed and result is a saw that will pull a 32 inch bar in Aussie hardwood and that takes a bit of doing .
stringy bark and gum I use just a smidgen over three quarters of a tank to cut 1 cubic metre of wood , in stock form and I had two 460s in stock form it used to take the whole tank so a port job was worth it with the fuel savings at the end of the year .

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To truely understand how much gain you get from porting you have to test it against a muffler modded stock saw. Testing against a bone stock saw leaves the question up in the air of if it was really mostly the muffler that was the gain. I’ve seen some saws gain up to 27% just from a proper well executed muffler mod. Others only gained 5%. You don’t know until you actually test it. But really that’s a whole other can of worms that doesn’t really relate to my thread. I foresee a debate lol.
I have seen the same and I absolutely agree.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I see a ported saw before and after video, the difference is clear,
I can only imagine how that adds up over a day, there is definitely gains,
and you can use a lighter saw owing to the extra power available.
Some saws need modded to save them from themselves, they are so restricted to meet the emissions standards.

Well, why just imagine how it adds up? Let's put a little math to it. There aren't that many before videos, but let's try and quantify what a stock vs modified saw might do in a typical size log. Say on a 15" hard maple log, a modded 70cc saw bests a stock saw by 4 full seconds. That seems like an eternity if my saw is getting smoked by someone at a GTG. But what if I'm just cutting a pick up load of firewood? And, maybe I need to make 30 such cuts to fill the truck. So, I've saved a a whole two minutes cutting a load of wood? Is that significant? Granted, I'm definitely smiling more with the ported saw, and I won't get smoked at the GTG either. But it's really not a big deal. Not trying to spoil the fun, cause it's all about fun for me. :)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To truely understand how much gain you get from porting you have to test it against a muffler modded stock saw. Testing against a bone stock saw leaves the question up in the air of if it was really mostly the muffler that was the gain. I’ve seen some saws gain up to 27% just from a proper well executed muffler mod. Others only gained 5%. You don’t know until you actually test it. But really that’s a whole other can of worms that doesn’t really relate to my thread. I foresee a debate lol.

You're always on top of it Mason!

In a similar can of worms, the gains you can get from a simple gasket delete bumping the compression up 20-25 PSI is also not due to "porting".

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now let's say you have numerous large White Oak rounds that need to be noodled before being fed into the splitter, and your trying to get this done in a limited amount of time, your large powerful saw with sharp chain (that you don't really need) just became priceless!

It is also nice to have when your milling!

I guess the more things you do, the more you want the right tools to do them.

Attachments

• IMG_WhiteOak90828-2.jpg
    IMG_WhiteOak90828-2.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_WhiteOak90828.jpg
    IMG_WhiteOak90828.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 21

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're always on top of it Mason!

In a similar can of worms, the gains you can get from a simple gasket delete bumping the compression up 20-25 PSI is also not due to "porting".
Yup I agree with you. It’s why I mod my own saws now. I get more enjoyment out of it and if the gain wasn’t what I expected... hey I only have my own time invested, not 300$. I can respect if others want to do it, that’s fine. I also prefer only mild builds, no need for extreme compression and crazy rpms for what I do. Reliability is important.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock with a muffler mod was about 14.5% slower than the ported one. It still wasn’t a slouch and with 24” bars the difference isn’t mind blowing. The long bar shows the real power difference better. The muffler mod is good for about 5%. The muffler isn’t as restrictive as it looks, it has lots of holes feeding the area under the deflector. The compression is fairly good stock as well. I guess the guys doing machine work and extensive modifications could eke out a few extra % but really the 572 is a pretty good runner stock. The average logger or tree guy is going to be happy with the performance.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock with a muffler mod was about 14.5% slower than the ported one. It still wasn’t a slouch and with 24” bars the difference isn’t mind blowing. The long bar shows the real power difference better. The muffler mod is good for about 5%. The muffler isn’t as restrictive as it looks, it has lots of holes feeding the area under the deflector. The compression is fairly good stock as well. I guess the guys doing machine work and extensive modifications could eke out a few extra % but really the 572 is a pretty good runner stock. The average logger or tree guy is going to be happy with the performance.

This... You don't go home any sooner in the residential tree business because you have a ported saw. Bob mentioned the fun factor, and that's a big part of it. I'll say it's nice having a saw with extra nuts at times to get through a cut quicker in certain scenarios. But most of these new saws with a muffler mod cut fast enough in a real world work scenario.