GoldMember
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't read all, but sory to hear you lost a saw, I think I read it
was a porting misadventure, is this so.
Yes. When I had it ported I said "I want it all, leave nothing on the table". It ran like a violated primate til it hung a ring. It was...excellent.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I'm going against the prevailing religion here, but some, (emphasize some), of the argument in favor or porting is to help justify the time and/or expense involved in porting a saw. Similar I think to the expense of simply buying another saw when you already have 30 of them. "Hey, there's a real tangible value there.". There's nothing wrong in my book with just saying that a ported saw is a hoot to run, and for the individual owner, the fun factor alone can make it worth your while. There are no doubt some examples where a ported saw, if done right might pay dividends for a pro user. But there's only as handful of us here that can make a claim like that. Whether it's porting, ever more saws, choosing high end pro models, it's pretty safe to say that we all spend money on saws that far outweighs what we actually need to. So what? It's a lotta fun; just enjoy it. :)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported saws, and multiple saws are fun, but they also enable you to complete projects faster.

Using the larger saws for bucking and the smaller ones for limbing not only speeds things up but it keeps me from wearing out.

And if I rock a chain I don't need to change or fix it, I just PU the next saw and keep going.

The increased performance of a strong saw and sharp chain is it's own reward.

I honestly believe most of my ported saws will cut at least as much as a stock saw on a tank of fuel, they will just do it in less time.

Having multiple saws also helps to preclude pushing a dull chain. No, I don't NEED them all, but they are fun to have and they make projects easier.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. When I had it ported I said "I want it all, leave nothing on the table". It ran like a violated primate til it hung a ring. It was...excellent.

Did it hang on the xfers or the exhaust? Just curious.

I port my own saws, so it's definitely worth it for me.

170860333.a94lyyYy.jpg

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I'm going against the prevailing religion here, but some, (emphasize some), of the argument in favor or porting is to help justify the time and/or expense involved in porting a saw. Similar I think to the expense of simply buying another saw when you already have 30 of them. "Hey, there's a real tangible value there.". There's nothing wrong in my book with just saying that a ported saw is a hoot to run, and for the individual owner, the fun factor alone can make it worth your while. There are no doubt some examples where a ported saw, if done right might pay dividends for a pro user. But there's only as handful of us here that can make a claim like that. Whether it's porting, ever more saws, choosing high end pro models, it's pretty safe to say that we all spend money on saws that far outweighs what we actually need to. So what? It's a lotta fun; just enjoy it. :)
When I see a ported saw before and after video, the difference is clear,
I can only imagine how that adds up over a day, there is definitely gains,
and you can use a lighter saw owing to the extra power available.
Some saws need modded to save them from themselves, they are so restricted to meet the emissions standards.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To truely understand how much gain you get from porting you have to test it against a muffler modded stock saw. Testing against a bone stock saw leaves the question up in the air of if it was really mostly the muffler that was the gain. I’ve seen some saws gain up to 27% just from a proper well executed muffler mod. Others only gained 5%. You don’t know until you actually test it. But really that’s a whole other can of worms that doesn’t really relate to my thread. I foresee a debate lol.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh dear, not so good when things dont go to plan. I couldnt click like.
Well, things happen. I wasn't mad then and I'm not now. I covered the parts, builder happily ported the new cylinder and did all the other work on the house, I felt it was very fair. I look forward to having her back. It is my favorite 70cc saw to date and I've had lots of em.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To truely understand how much gain you get from porting you have to test it against a muffler modded stock saw. Testing against a bone stock saw leaves the question up in the air of if it was really mostly the muffler that was the gain. I’ve seen some saws gain up to 27% just from a proper well executed muffler mod. Others only gained 5%. You don’t know until you actually test it. But really that’s a whole other can of worms that doesn’t really relate to my thread. I foresee a debate lol.

Just make sure when you go to the ported testing phase that you don't bury the bar so deep in a chestnut that it now has difficulty clearing chips(which is usually unusual for an ms261):

These mofos get loud if you are generous with the exhaust opening:

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just make sure when you go to the ported testing phase that you don't bury the bar so deep in a chestnut that it now has difficulty clearing chips(which is usually unusual for an ms261):

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg
Very nice runner, clearly a much faster cut.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant to do one with timing advance before and after. That vid doesn't have any advance. When I was finished advancing the timing, it woke up even further. But I ran out of time to do the vid before the owner picked her up :(

What you can't see in the vid is the saw feels much stronger and revs better after port work. I think port work is worth it alone for how much more responsive the saw is in the cut and for limbing, etc. It just makes work easier.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg

The V2 muffler doesn't have that tube in there, I'm assuming thats the reason the V2 261 runs better in stock trim than the first model.

You can tell just by holding the 2 mufflers how much lighter the V2 muffler is.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The V2 muffler doesn't have that tube in there, I'm assuming thats the reason the V2 261 runs better in stock trim than the first model.

You can tell just by holding the 2 mufflers how much lighter the V2 muffler is.

It's not really a tube in the first version - more of a shelf. It forces the gases all the way to the front, and then it has to do a 180 to get to the tiny exhaust hole.
Having said it, this was still a very drastic exhaust mod, regardless of what baffle or not may have been there. It is a hole nearly as large as the exhaust outlet is at the cylinder, and the outlet it is very close to the cylinder as well. You can even tell in the video how much louder the thing gets when it's done:

But, to be fair, it was also done in very cold and dense/damp conditions(nov 27th after a rain). On a hot, dry day, the difference may not have been so much. And since the saw was having trouble clearing chips, it is also faster ported than one might think.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not really a tube in the first version - more of a shelf. It forces the gases all the way to the front, and then it has to do a 180 to get to the tiny exhaust hole.
Having said it, this was still a very drastic exhaust mod, regardless of what baffle or not may have been there. It is a hole nearly as large as the exhaust outlet is at the cylinder, and the outlet it is very close to the cylinder as well. You can even tell in the video how much louder the thing gets when it's done:

But, to be fair, it was also done in very cold and dense/damp conditions(nov 27th after a rain). On a hot, dry day, the difference may not have been so much. And since the saw was having trouble clearing chips, it is also faster ported than one might think.

Whatever you wanna call it, just bolting up a V2 muffler makes a big difference over the old one.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I completely agree, be nice to test it out in some wood. I also would have to say all the ported saws I have owned and built are definitely thirsty compared to a stock or muffler modded saw, it's a trade off in most cases, takes fuel to make power.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like how you think, cold and dense, that will certainly alter
the outcome, Might ask to get into a hotel fridge to do a reset,
just to be sure.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also would have to say all the ported saws I have owned and built are definitely thirsty compared to a stock or muffler modded saw, it's a trade off in most cases, takes fuel to make power.

That’s the conversation, around how people define ‘thirsty’, of course it takes fuel to make power, a ported saw will empty it’s tank faster, I don’t think anyone has a problem with that, but was the fuel used efficiently? Less, more or the same cuts made?

A dyno could be used to calculate bsfc, brake specific fuel consumption, lb of fuel per horsepower hour produced, or Grams per Kilowatt hour.