~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Could a guy slot the holes?
oh yeah.
In 2007, my Walkerized 357 only had the aluminum catcher and a small single dog. It was in the oil patch hand cutting Seismic line on heli portable. Needed another 372 but they only had a new on the market 575 so a did a shift with it and talked to walker's about porting it and they weren't so happy with gains it seemed so I said how about a 357. The said oh yes. So the Bused it up. What a money maker that was. They caught me running it with one dog and shut the saw down. BC Fallers thing. Have to have dogs and adequate for the timber size. The 357 has the big lump between the stud holes as it has the outside guide plate screw that sets in there from the inside. So I had to file a small 372 dog by hand to clear. the hump and the top as well I believe. A lot to file.
The dogs were not even comparable. Close though. I had it chomping through the wood so bad that you couldn't have used the dogs for falling anyway. It go so evolved shortly after all 357 had wraps and falling dogs.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect! Sooo now I know the fuel weight. Lol. Well thank you. Very nice of all you guys. That's real cool. How 'American'. Love 'American' and the people and everytime I loose my cool in the UK then I ALWAYS make a point of saying don't blame Americans, I'm Canadian. That is true...well except I'm born British. It is hard to get a good cup off coffee over here therefore my nuts do unravel ol' boy.

I have ran in to all manner of cultural differences and encounters being an American in Europe from language to measurements to customs etc etc. Every day is a new day.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Totally empty. It is the same saw with the small spike removed and the large dogs and large wide cover. The large dogs are quite heavy.

Saws start to pile on the weight quickly when you add things. Here's the 7th mount and outside dog on a 281/288xp coming in at nearly 14 ounces - the outer dog is 5 ounces:

162586844.GHVHYGs8.jpg

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Based in my testing years ago, stock the 385xp was just a little ahead of the 7900 in 28" wood, so I do not see the 572 being equal or ahead of the 390, maybe in the dinky small wood I've seen the comparison in so far, but anything larger the 385/390, and 7900 will pull ahead, as they should.

The problem with comparisons is the whole 'all things being equal' thing. I've seen seven pin 7900's with 28 inch bars go up against 8 pin 390's with 32 inch bars in small wood, and folks say 'those are close'. Of course, they aren't. So we all have to take these things with a grain of salt. People who know what they are doing will set up their kits accordingly.

I have a vid of different chains I am testing in 20 inch Alder between a 372, a 385 and an 066. The 066 comes in dead last running stock chisel on a bar that's 6DL shorter and a bit duller. But what the vid doesn't tell is the 066 is trying to pull itself out of my hands the whole time, whereas the 385 and 372 are using a rather warmed over set of square chain to stay ahead, and I have to be careful to let them cut at their own speed. Had they all ran semi chisel on a 36 inch bar in 3 foot of douglas fir, I know who wins.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw comparisons must be run with same bar and chain. Or at a minumum same chain. Same wood. Same operator. Same cutting style and pressure.
Yes things need to be equal. Trying different sprocket sizes will allow you to find the power band for each saw, even if the chain it's self isn't spot on for the saws power band.[emoji111]

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw comparisons must be run with same bar and chain. Or at a minumum same chain. Same wood. Same operator. Same cutting style and pressure.

Same operator same wood sure but you don’t need the same chain just the same stops set on the grinder, if you use the same chain each cut will be duller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Metals406 on AS cut them for me wish I could take credit for them but they work great. The small stock ones wouldn’t dig in the thick second growth fir bark we cut these will actually stick in the tree if you need to get up on a board which is a huge bonus.

I would love to have a set for mine. Maybe I could get a hold of him and get the patterns. I helped him make a few of the spikes he cut using my saws and templates.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Huskyboy
b68978c3a6dafcf0df8a07741b88fcd7.jpg
dc9905240fd4b79118fce79fb7e85452.jpg

Stock is on the bottom when do you want it shipped?

Looks awesome man, ship it whenever you get a chance. Just pm me when you get her out. Maybe if it comes in time I could use it at the CT gtg for comparison testing this coming weekend.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Same operator same wood sure but you don’t need the same chain just the same stops set on the grinder, if you use the same chain each cut will be duller.

I think that is the best and if they are from the same manufacturer and with the same cutter length and fresh dressed and rakers technically gauged from raker to tooth. Does this make any sense? Not a grinder guy though
Dual dawgs are a requirement even for bucking a single you will wonder when trying to line up cuts. A single or no dawg saw isn’t much good or anything other then maybe a mill.

Yes it is either dual dogs or none with square chain. Yeah square chain is definitely going to steer pretty easy by pressing up one side or even not paying attention in cedar.
Round file is a lot different. You could pressure up one side with true gear. Saw hacks would like one dog for round file because two dogs will bind and stop you dead if chain/bar isn't running true.haha Don' t you dare ask me how I would know that. Nah, only takes a bit of a dusting on one side. It is only a problem free handing with round file when going around big back cuts in cedar usually. It is when you are not very deep. If you are slowing down and porpoising over the vains that are at the right height for inertia kicks then it won't work out often.
Best to bore through them and to keep straight. It sucks doing them one handed blind instead of setting a board.
It is no fun on the wrist getting 4 one handed inertia kicks in one minute when trying to navigate blind flat at 16 grand.
The secret is to do it fast, in a forward motion sucking the chain tight. I am not talking about scribing either. That is for the kids.
I can bullshît everybody. 40 yr coast Fallers that are supervising. Answer their questions, falling trees in front of them and give them pretty stumps to satisfy their books...but when you are in a pickle by yourself then there will always be that one guy you can never possibly bullshît

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just
Ill probably end up just making the 390 dogs work with the stock cover when I get my own 572 or buy the 572 outer dog.
I would just tell them you want an old skool cover when you buy your saw. It is 30g more weight is the reg 365/372 cover but it is not a slashing saw so who cares.
Tell them ahead of time and get a 390 wide cover with a bit more added weight.(if you like ) You should run the grey 390 chain guides anyway on all covers instead of the white nylon. They have the screw on guide. Much better and replace them often.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just
I would just tell them you want an old skool cover when you buy your saw. It is 30g more weight is the reg 365/372 cover but it is not a slashing saw so who cares.
Tell them ahead of time and get a 390 wide cover with a bit more added weight.(if you like ) You should run the grey 390 chain guides anyway on all covers instead of the white nylon. They have the screw on guide. Much better and replace them often.
I did notice the superior cover on our 390. Good idea, think I’ll do just that. Sure it’ll be orange.... not that I care if it’s orange or silver. It ain’t no fashion show in the log woods lol.