Huskyboy meets the 572xp

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thnx
Yeah the first pics with the wide cover are at different angles. the gap on the handle bars and body are opposite by picture. This is a more straight on picture. These covers are a bit tight on this saw because no other models have the grey nylon on the inside of the handlebars. 576 have it at the bottom only. I am not sure what would hit first? It is possible it may limit the travel and hit first on an under buck.. where it shouldn't. It will happen on a 372 with worn out mounts. I can here them clunk when I walk. I ran soft mounts but then it's like... "I guess it's time I better get 'round to changin' that front mount". (Probably)
They said they tested this model through winter which has been claimed to have been 10 yr in design.
If they brought that to me to test in a Northern Canadian winter with that regular cover then it would be a bust before I fired it up. It doesn't have the clearance needed for ice. I would be in there with my bar wrench evey two minutes. I would need to cut the grey nylon down at the bottom like the 576 design. The rubber tube chain protector on the bottom of the handle bar is another part I won't run in the winter. I cut them off. My Dad always says, "I good watch maker always has parts left over"
Once the bottom weld cracks then a builder/fab started putting a chuck of red heater hose on for the summer . A couple pieces work great for a bar wrench holder in the usual place if a guy wanted. He would slip on two little narrow bands spaced apart. Much better.

The cover above is really the new style 576 cover. The wide silver cover for 376 are advertised as 572 wide covers ..AND fits... 'some' 576 (by colour)

I called the orange wide cover a 372 US-XPW on my last post but all the wide covers started with 575 /570 XPW/ g from 2004. I didn't know that.
I thought originally it was a 390 xpw/ g cover. The 390 just have a wider rubber protector in the back than the others but it's the 575 design
I have a dumb question. Are you actually cutting ice, or just frozen wood? Good info on the covers.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How did you get an orange wide cover?
You don't want it... it's like from 2004...lol
15 yrs old cover.
If you want husky orange WIDE discharge clutch cover then you order for 575 xp
#HVP 537 33 10 01.
If you want the stock colour silver Wide discharge then order 576/572.
@ # HVP 537 33 10 05
They are Only separated by colour.
Some 570 may have been both orange and silver as well some 576xp.

The only real difference on restrictions between the 362/365/371/372/570/575/576/572/385/390/ is that the 362 has a small and large mount bar but that's a few minutes per bar to file or you 'may' be able to flip the adjuster pin as it has an offset to one side? As I said with the 390xp is they have a wider deflector so they all need about 3/16 clearance off the tank from the deflector in the event someone send you one with a 390 deflector/catcher.
That is a two second fix with a sharp knife.

I do appreciate Husqvarna for that. A family of 6 with 4 cousins they get a long with. Like the good old days and the small block Chevy. She all went together like a zipper. Headers and all.
That's what I miss.
Some good old American muscle.

....oh yeah...and a lot of road

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a dumb question. Are you actually cutting ice, or just frozen wood? Good info on the covers.
Thx man. I am just trying to figure it all out. Never really ran the 5 series. I bought the last year of the 575 in a pinch when hand cutting Seismic and snag falling in 2007.
I was in North BC in the oil patch so I payed $1150. Ran it for that 28 day shift and sold it for $500. It sucked a little air when I pored the heat to it. A bit inconvenient on and off the screwdriver.

Never a dumb question.
I spent 12 winter in the north country or BC & Alberta chasing winter work.
It took me 5 yrs first to get some bawls to do it. I was raised on Southeast side of Vancouver Island so the thought of -40 scared me. Embrace your fears. I liked it.
It is better than cold rain all day some time. You can dress in layers.
Often you are dipping your bar deep in the snow and parts of the saw gets warm so it turns into ice. If you have cold weather and friction and engines then you are going to get ice. Think about falling trees loaded with snow and it lets go while wedging and it dumps in the starter cover and get flung up to the head or hits the head directly from the other side. It melts a drips. There is no getting away. I will use a heated card if anything put not heated handlebars. Snow comes off the trees and gets between your gloves and the heated handlebars and 30 sec after you stop then your thick gloves are thick ice blocks.
They are good on the milder coast winters with no gloves if it is wet or frosty.
No getting away from ice. I will even hit trees three times really fast with my axe and then get out of the way fast and let it dump off snow.
I have been clobbered to the ground (once only) with ice balls falling out of the tree from warm weather and then freezing again before the snow fell out.

No getting away from it. You definitely don't want your saw clearances restricted.
That was a a problem with the 357 up there in the winter for hand cutting in deep snow. Plus the bigger the saw the more they love to eat water and if you do drown them the quicker they can recover.

I did put on a beater chain on once and tried to cut my Supervisor's truck out when he backed up to turn around in a muskeg area in his new truck and it was -40 and his back tires dropped through the ice. His exhaust was half under water.
I couldn't get under with the saw to get much cut. There was a snow cat a long ways away. We gave him the GPS coordinates and left it bubbling in the water. We will just say it cost him $3000.
Warm water comes out of the earth and it can't freeze like you would think.
I was called out to fall some trees to assist on a recover of a cat. It was a really cold snap also and the cat was almost burred.
It was all water at the top.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
04F2E451-987F-48AF-859B-CB1F09F71BDE.jpeg
Thx man. I am just trying to figure it all out. Never really ran the 5 series. I bought the last year of the 575 in a pinch when hand cutting Seismic and snag falling in 2007.
I was in North BC in the oil patch so I payed $1150. Ran it for that 28 day shift and sold it for $500. It sucked a little air when I pored the heat to it. A bit inconvenient on and off the screwdriver.

Never a dumb question.
I spent 12 winter in the north country or BC & Alberta chasing winter work.
It took me 5 yrs first to get some bawls to do it. I was raised on Southeast side of Vancouver Island so the thought of -40 scared me. Embrace your fears. I liked it.
It is better than cold rain all day some time. You can dress in layers.
Often you are dipping your bar deep in the snow and parts of the saw gets warm so it turns into ice. If you have cold weather and friction and engines then you are going to get ice. Think about falling trees loaded with snow and it lets go while wedging and it dumps in the starter cover and get flung up to the head or hits the head directly from the other side. It melts a drips. There is no getting away. I will use a heated card if anything put not heated handlebars. Snow comes off the trees and gets between your gloves and the heated handlebars and 30 sec after you stop then your thick gloves are thick ice blocks.
They are good on the milder coast winters with no gloves if it is wet or frosty.
No getting away from ice. I will even hit trees three times really fast with my axe and then get out of the way fast and let it dump off snow.
I have been clobbered to the ground (once only) with ice balls falling out of the tree from warm weather and then freezing again before the snow fell out.

No getting away from it. You definitely don't want your saw clearances restricted.
That was a a problem with the 357 up there in the winter for hand cutting in deep snow. Plus the bigger the saw the more they love to eat water and if you do drown them the quicker they can recover.

I did put on a beater chain on once and tried to cut my Supervisor's truck out when he backed up to turn around in a muskeg area in his new truck and it was -40 and his back tires dropped through the ice. His exhaust was half under water.
I couldn't get under with the saw to get much cut. There was a snow cat a long ways away. We gave him the GPS coordinates and left it bubbling in the water. We will just say it cost him $3000.
Warm water comes out of the earth and it can't freeze like you would think.
I was called out to fall some trees to assist on a recover of a cat. It was a really cold snap also and the cat was almost burred.
It was all water at the top.
Gotcha. We normally have pretty mild winters. I know I have sure enjoyed the heated handles, but it has never really been cold enough to freeze my gloves.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how many tanks exactly but at least 10-15 on this filter. No fines passed through. Pretty good if you ask me. Might have different results in other woods, cut mostly oak and other hardwoods with it. 52BF5BBF-C86F-4FDC-A738-8B838C31CCC4.jpeg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Better video of it with the 32 and 8 pin in oak, bar is buried past the tip. Wouldn’t run it with the 8 for work, but 7 with the 32 would be fine. It oils this bar well too. Very wide torque band, held 8500-9000 with this setup lugging it down. Which is right about where peak torque is. Way stronger than a stock 372xtorq, wouldn’t even try this setup on one.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t even run a 32 here for logging. So if it can pull that with a 7 pin good in oak, then it'll do well for you guys that are cutting bigger softwoods out west and well for us here where most of the time it’ll have a 24-28” bar on it cutting hardwoods.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t even run a 32 here for logging. So if it can pull that with a 7 pin good in oak, then it'll do well for you guys that are cutting bigger softwoods out west and well for us here where most of the time it’ll have a 24-28” bar on it cutting hardwoods.

We know it works out here, with that I think you guys would be surprised how hard and flexible Doug fir is it’s not pine or Hemlock that are like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to the Janka hardness scale, doug fir registers 660, while the red oak I was cutting with the 572 in the video is 1290. Almost twice as hard as the fir. I’m sure it depends on if the wood is seasoned/dry or where it grew.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to the Janka hardness scale, doug for registers 660 while the red oak I was cutting with the 572 in the video is 1290. Almost twice as much as the fir. I’m sure it depends on if the wood is seasoned and where it grew.

That’s green fast growing young fir a big second or old growth or yellow fir isn’t the softest. How’s the side cover doing for plugging up?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s green fast growing young fir a big second or old growth or yellow fir isn’t the softest. How’s the side cover doing for plugging up?

That makes sense to me and yeah the side cover seems to be doing good. Basically the same as a 372/390. Lot wider chip clearance than a 462. The grey paint doesn’t rub off as easy as the old stuff either.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Now that's how a filter should look! Impressive.
Not sure how many tanks exactly but at least 10-15 on this filter. No fines passed through. Pretty good if you ask me. Might have different results in other woods, cut mostly oak and other hardwoods with it. View attachment 183903

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a matching outer spike coming for it from Bob. Not the large setup I was hoping to fit, but better than having just one spike (which sucks when your felling timber or bumping knots) or buying the 372 clutch cover to run the big dogs. Running just a 24-28 cutting hardwoods, should be sufficient with two standard spikes.

Last edited:

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how many tanks exactly but at least 10-15 on this filter. No fines passed through. Pretty good if you ask me. Might have different results in other woods, cut mostly oak and other hardwoods with it. View attachment 183903
Make sure if your cutting thick bark Douglas Fir to run an oiled pre filter you dont want this to happenIMG951207.jpg 20190410_125653.jpg

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure if your cutting thick bark Douglas Fir to run an oiled pre filter you dont want this to happenView attachment 185303 View attachment 185304
Useful tip, thanks man. I’m glad we don’t have that here. Only tree that’s real terrible with fines is dead ash or dead oak here. Haven’t had any fines sneak past the filter yet after 15-20 tanks or so.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last edited: