High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The timber is seasoned rock hard eucalyptus.
We dont have pine, or any softwood to make the saw look fast :crybaby2:
I prefer hard woods let a saw work like is stolen. I run my piped saws in hard wood just cause I can as we're others at gtg run race chains and won't touch anything big or hardwood.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Iggesund Forest R2 bar on the saw that ran on "fast forward"! :)

Dull chain:
DSC00194.JPG

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell couple good swipe that'll cut
No worries!
That chain got a lot more hours on it since then, got worn down to "triangles" and started loosing teeth while on bush clearing duty - it is in the metal scrap bin now.

This is what caused the chains dullness:
DSC00182.JPG DSC00184.JPG DSC00186.JPG DSC00187.JPG DSC00188.JPG

7.9x57mm bullet, jacket & core both steel!
Considering, that chain looked great after such an encounter.
No teeth bent or broken either.

EDIT:
The encounter! ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Luckily only a single cutter, it'll get filed back as the entire loop gets sharpened over time.
Archer loop, regular work chain.
DSC08743.JPG DSC08746.JPG

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys this should fall inline with the thread topic here I hope. I have a new to me grinder I purchased from another member here that worked fine for them I have no doubt. Only difference is they were using a CBN wheel on it where im using an Oregon.

The grinder is an Oregon model #108181. I’ve dressed 2 wheels for the .325 and 3/8 per the little orange guide that comes with the grinder. Ground the chains then checked the rakers. Angle is set to 30. The motor head arm is fixed position and do not know what it is.

I ground three chains and all looked good but once you put them in the wood they wont cut and will actually start smoking. Im doing something majorly wrong.

I can file them sharp by hand no problem but this grinding thing is new to me any help would be appreciated.

d5ed60e92f90e265233c57db7d325434.jpg

479daba1ce911d2bad0c90628b532b55.jpg

0dee6203a8e2d7c7b05296737fb916f4.jpg

ec79172ef3df5ee238d32e608ab85423.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to tell from your photo of the chain. That grinder has a fixed head angle, probably at 60°, which may be different from what you hand file, but should still cut. Couple of questions:

- Did the color change on the cutters as you ground (red, blue, or black)?

- Can you hold a filed cutter next to your ground ones and see a difference in the edges (top and side)?

A light touch on the grinder, and a well dressed wheel, can address both of those issues (if present).

I looks like you may have taken the wheel pretty deep into the gullet, where you end up sharpening / shaping with the side of the wheel instead of the rounded edge. Again, hard to tell from the photo.

Grind as You File.png

Philbert

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had to tell from your photo of the chain. That grinder has a fixed head angle, probably at 60°, which may be different from what you hand file, but should still cut. Couple of questions:

- Did the color change on the cutters as you ground (red, blue, or black)?

- Can you hold a filed cutter next to your ground ones and see a difference in the edges (top and side)?

A light touch on the grinder, and a well dressed wheel, can address both of those issues (if present).

I looks like you may have taken the wheel pretty deep into the gullet, where you end up sharpening / shaping with the side of the wheel instead of the rounded edge. Again, hard to tell from the photo.

View attachment 255318

Philbert

-The color didnt change. (I will double check) I was careful to adjust the chains a little at a time to where they were lightly touching the cutter.

-Unfortunately I ground all my chains thinking there wouldnt be any issues.

-I did run a file over a few and it felt loose, wouldn’t grab very much pushing through the cutter (so the deep gullet premise might be a factor here)

Let me get some more pictures in the AM and go from there. Thanks

Last edited: