High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Question from a non chainsaw using person.

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure I will get eaten up for asking this but hey I'm a noob and you admit it. So knowing nothing you have to start somewhere. I was on Reddit and met a member from here over there and he recommended coming here because there are a lot of great folks who are mostly Profesionales or long-time users.

I recently purchased a lot behind where I live and I would like to clear the brush back and remove some of the trees to clear the land to make an area for kids and maybe put up a few sheds. I knew this old corded saw that was given to me years ago would not do the task so I figured let's just find a new chain saw. To be clear I'll probably use it to clear brush then it will just sit there or end up selling it off just to get some money back out of it. I'm not trying to start a wood cutting business or anything like that. I'm interested in learning wood milling tho. Something about salvaging something and turning it into something beautiful intrigue me.

So started my search for which saw to get that best fit my needs. Who knew there were a few big players, bunch of other guys, and a few knock-off ones. Then the choice of Gas or Battery operated ones. Gas I think is always the best choice because you are going to get the most power from it. Battery-operated tools have come a long way. For me, they are easy pickup and go as long as they are charged, and since I'm not good with small engines kind of makes it a good choice plus being quiet is a big plus where I live.

So now unsure what type or brand to get I have turned to the internet which is even worse a million people who say they know what they are talking about but all they offer are links to Amazon Affiliates in their articles or videos. Please explain to me how you can write these when one of the bigger names doesn't really sell online and say it's not biased? Most of them are basic crap articles without any real-time experience using the machine or a weekend warrior trying to get views on their youtube page.

Then it comes down to do you get a cheap saw that will just get the job done or do you invest in a mid-grade saw or a beginner pro-grade saw that will hold its value and is made of much better quality. So I think it's pretty clear what I'm looking for advice on so I won't even ask the question. I would love to say Thank you in advance and for all the people who talk crap and want to complain thanks for the entertainment to whoever laughs at it. It's been fun checking out this site.

I do have a separate question GTG I'm guessing this is like a Car Meetup of the Chainsaw world? Everyone brings out their toys to show them off?

Attachments

• Untitled design(9).png
    Untitled design(9).png
    251.5 KB · Views: 19

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I will get eaten up for asking this but hey I'm a noob and you admit it. So knowing nothing you have to start somewhere. I was on Reddit and met a member from here over there and he recommended coming here because there are a lot of great folks who are mostly Profesionales or long-time users.

I recently purchased a lot behind where I live and I would like to clear the brush back and remove some of the trees to clear the land to make an area for kids and maybe put up a few sheds. I knew this old corded saw that was given to me years ago would not do the task so I figured let's just find a new chain saw. To be clear I'll probably use it to clear brush then it will just sit there or end up selling it off just to get some money back out of it. I'm not trying to start a wood cutting business or anything like that. I'm interested in learning wood milling tho. Something about salvaging something and turning it into something beautiful intrigue me.

So started my search for which saw to get that best fit my needs. Who knew there were a few big players, bunch of other guys, and a few knock-off ones. Then the choice of Gas or Battery operated ones. Gas I think is always the best choice because you are going to get the most power from it. Battery-operated tools have come a long way. For me, they are easy pickup and go as long as they are charged, and since I'm not good with small engines kind of makes it a good choice plus being quiet is a big plus where I live.

So now unsure what type or brand to get I have turned to the internet which is even worse a million people who say they know what they are talking about but all they offer are links to Amazon Affiliates in their articles or videos. Please explain to me how you can write these when one of the bigger names doesn't really sell online and say it's not biased? Most of them are basic crap articles without any real-time experience using the machine or a weekend warrior trying to get views on their youtube page.

Then it comes down to do you get a cheap saw that will just get the job done or do you invest in a mid-grade saw or a beginner pro-grade saw that will hold its value and is made of much better quality. So I think it's pretty clear what I'm looking for advice on so I won't even ask the question. I would love to say Thank you in advance and for all the people who talk crap and want to complain thanks for the entertainment to whoever laughs at it. It's been fun checking out this site.

I do have a separate question GTG I'm guessing this is like a Car Meetup of the Chainsaw world? Everyone brings out their toys to show them off?
For your uses I would recommend looking into a 50cc pro unit, anything from the main manufacturers would work. For example, an Echo 4910 is $350 brand new and will carry a 5 year warranty for you. It can cut comfortably 20-24” trees to fell or buck. Not the fastest thing in the world but will be reliable and serve you well. Most importantly, stay safe and read or watch some tutorials on dropping trees and notching from reliable sources. Maintain a sharp chain always and use quality fuel.

the issue with milling is that it requires a very large and expensive saw (minimum 90cc if you want to be fairly efficient) and those from an OEM manufacturer will be $600+ even used. A Chinese equivalent can be had for 3xx dollars and would serve you fine to start out with.

And yes, the gtg is like you explained. Everyone brings out their modified saws and run each other’s and race sometimes, it’s fun!

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. Is there any recommend reliable sources? I know this is open to integrations from some.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for your insight. Is there any recommend reliable sources? I know this is open to integrations from some.
It’s been a few years, but this is a very basic notch and will suffice in 90% of cases. Stay inside your skill level when you’re fresh, trees don’t give second chances! Pick up a few wedges to put in the back cut (can also use when bucking to prevent getting pinched).

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can you explain more about the wedge?

pavel408

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Attached pdfs should answer your questions.
Basic tips far falling/bucking are also in each chainsaw Operator's manual.

Attachments

• WCB fallers_buckers.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • Competenz Tree Felling Best Practice 2017.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 17

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know you guys recommended the Echo 4910 I was also looking at the 501p I think it was. I have a chance to get from a local guy who flips storage sheds brand new unopened a CS490 for $255 any thoughts. I'm always leary buying things like this.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I know you guys recommended the Echo 4910 I was also looking at the 501p I think it was. I have a chance to get from a local guy who flips storage sheds brand new unopened a CS490 for $255 any thoughts. I'm always leary buying things like this.
The cs490 is the predecessor of the cs4910

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The cs490 is the predecessor of the cs4910
I know I'm just wondering am I just better off picking up the 4910 or just taking this deal. In the end, I'm saying 100 bucks but I'm taking a chance it doesn't run and there is no kind of warranty.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 4910 is the new 490 but I think Echo still has specs for both on their website. 4910 is more powerful and maybe lighter. But for $100 less, I would probably get the 490 especially since it will see limited use anyway.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I'm just wondering am I just better off picking up the 4910 or just taking this deal. In the end, I'm saying 100 bucks but I'm taking a chance it doesn't run and there is no kind of warranty.

I understand. I guess you just have to go with your gut feeling on this.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy, welcome. I think the warranty would be more valuable for someone who doesn’t work on their stuff…yet. ;-)

another bit of advice is to buy the brand that you have a good local dealer for.

waldorbigbill

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I ended up going with the CS-490 deal it was brand new and never opened. Turned out the guy was retiring and selling off a bunch of his stuff. I figured if I don't like it I can flip it for like $200-$225 and consider it a rental and purchase something else. I want to thank everyone for their help. I look forward to learning more on this site.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I ended up going with the CS-490 deal it was brand new and never opened. Turned out the guy was retiring and selling off a bunch of his stuff. I figured if I don't like it I can flip it for like $200-$225 and consider it a rental and purchase something else. I want to thank everyone for their help. I look forward to learning more on this site.
Good luck

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might seem a little underpowered at first. Don't get discouraged with it. They take a few tanks to break in. It's customary to post pictures when you get a new saw.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some well intentioned comments, based on your original post.

As a ‘new guy’, you will need to rely more on a good dealer for support and advice. You already bought a saw, so try to throw some other business their way to start a relationship, even if more expensive than on-line.

Get PPE to go with your saw BEFORE you start cutting: good boots; chainsaw chaps; gloves; safety glasses; ear protection; hard hat / helmet, at a minimum. These can cost more than your saw.

Don’t cut alone. Try to get someone more experienced to mentor you, especially at first.

‘The tree is more likely to kill you than the chainsaw’. For real. Even ones on the ground. Learn about tension, compression, torsion, binds, and stored energy. Always have multiple escape routes.

‘The chain is the most important part of the chainsaw’. Have at least 3 chains to swap out as they get dull (can take less than a second). Learn how to do basic sharpening - not hard, but it is a skill that takes a little time to develop.

Have fun!

Philbert

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I missed the part about where you live (for type of tree) and how big the trees are.

Personally I believe a 60-70cc saw would be my one saw plan, but as above would in part depend on cutting needs. If soft woods/saplings and cleanup a 50cc might do.

Echo claims a good warranty but most haven’t had good experiences with that. The fact that they sell at Home Depot helps, as they can be returned in a timely fashion for a full refund if needed.

Personally I woulda gone with the echo 590 instead. Still a good deal. You can always use a bigger saw to cut smaller wood.