High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

can we have basic porting term thread?

B

Backyard Lumberjack

The putting back is kinda hard ....lol [emoji200]

Zoo City Sawz

for those interested, what I learned today, is enthusiasm is one thing... desire and motivation quite another... but before you get further than mere casting clean up... lay out your port shape modifications with some medium as painter's blue tape. then you wont go wrong... just know... the ring gap rides on the thin side, not over there on the exhaust side of cyl where it is wide...

I had an apprehensive moment today, but alas!!... room to spare, however as I mentioned over in finger porting thread... not 2 rooms! I really had thought: well, oh damn! me and my wider is better... first saw porting, first ruined cylinder!!! :aaaaa: lol... then thot, oh ring gap rides on wide side... surely... but then I mocked up the piston and rings spaced to ring pins.... eeek! :eek: close, but no cigar! room to spare [as BL wiped his forehead]... well, I got that lesson down pat now... LOL

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use to love nights and would be up in the morning and get called to go into work on a emergency outage for that night and be there till 7 or later the next morning it makes a old man out of you

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
for those interested, what I learned today, is enthusiasm is one thing... desire and motivation quite another... but before you get further than mere casting clean up... lay out your port shape modifications with some medium as painter's blue tape. then you wont go wrong... just know... the ring gap rides on the thin side, not over there on the exhaust side of cyl where it is wide...

I had an apprehensive moment today, but alas!!... room to spare, however as I mentioned over in finger porting thread... not 2 rooms! I really had thought: well, oh damn! me and my wider is better... first saw porting, first ruined cylinder!!! :aaaaa: lol... then thot, oh ring gap rides on wide side... surely... but then I mocked up the piston and rings spaced to ring pins.... eeek! :eek: close, but no cigar! room to spare [as BL wiped his forehead]... well, I got that lesson down pat now... LOL
Yea the whole "ring end" thing without an assortment of small squares and measuring tools is voodoo. It takes a good eye to figure out where they're at on the cylinder wall. Unless they line up with the skirt. On a used jug you can usually see where the skirt rode

B

Backyard Lumberjack

I lay out ring ends if it's something I've not done 5 or more of. Thin marker and a set of calipers is what I use to make vertical lines.

I pulled it off thinking: conservative, know your port, the mod... and its mechanical effect on other related items... the air flow is 2ndary, if u miss your mark! if in doubt :stop:

here I will show you all on my 044 porting project... sure was a fun afternoon... sunny, windy... C&W playing an me sitting at my chain saw porting bench... for first time. main thots: really do need to move this inside... lol... ie, warmer

lookie here... almost got my tail end bit... its kinda ghostly... but u can see the ring line... up down... burnished in pattern... trust me, that port is as wide as its gunna get!!! lol... on the intake side, L. but interestingly enough, I did not go overboard, loose my place... or fall asleep with the porting tool spinning at 35,000 rpms... I was just pushing the OE casting a bit... i bet the pattern shifted as a mold. ok to run, but not to modify. really almost lost the cyl... but the creed of conservatism was my guide and battle cry! actually, I was just lucky!!! ;) :campeon:time to make it ring sliding happy.... :sing: and some hand filing, too...

close but no cigar 044 ported port:

P2080030.JPG

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I pulled it off thinking: conservative, know your port, the mod... and its mechanical effect on other related items... the air flow is 2ndary, if u miss your mark! if in doubt :stop:

here I will show you all on my 044 porting project... sure was a fun afternoon... sunny, windy... C&W playing an me sitting at my chain saw porting bench... for first time. main thots: really do need to move this inside... lol... ie, warmer

lookie here... almost got my tail end bit... its kinda ghostly... but u can see the ring line... up down... burnished in pattern... trust me, that port is as wide as its gunna get!!! lol... on the intake side, L. time to make it ring sliding happy.... :sing: and some hand filing, too...

View attachment 9863

What's that horseshoe shaped thingy on the roof of your intake? Maybe just a casting flaw you can fill in with epoxy?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Does a ring drop in the intake on a 044?

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Yea the whole "ring end" thing without an assortment of small squares and measuring tools is voodoo. It takes a good eye to figure out where they're at on the cylinder wall. Unless they line up with the skirt. On a used jug you can usually see where the skirt rode

ha! right on! voodoo, good eye... some tools, or just plain good ol luck! I learnt my lesson!!! lol.....

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

lookie here... almost got my tail end bit... its kinda ghostly... but u can see the ring line... up down... burnished in pattern... trust me, that port is as wide as its gunna get!!! lol... on the intake side, L. time to make it ring sliding happy.... :sing: and some hand filing, too...

View attachment 9863
Pretty much all you need to be concerned about there is possibility of the piston skirt catching on the bottom of that port. I'd put a good bevel on it for sure. Rings don't travel that far down. That's a skirt wear line

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does a ring drop in the intake on a 044?
Hmm. I bet it does. I just did a KS 10mm and after taking .050 off the base, I could see the bottom of the ring at bdc