Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure the bottom ring is in the intake. It is on a 460

B

Backyard Lumberjack

What's that horseshoe shaped thingy on the roof of your intake? Maybe just a casting flaw you can fill in with epoxy?

just some magic marker marks. guidelines to tweak the port shape a bit futher... help bend the colum of air to enhance better crankcase filling... I made them and also marks, scribes on the side after the intitial port work, and having place the boot onto the intake port flange... so as to better see the shape. liked what I saw, but noted bit low in port ie, horseshoe makr... and a small mill ridge line on L side inner of rubber boot to casting...

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Pretty much all you need to be concerned about there is possibility of the piston skirt catching on the bottom of that port. I'd put a good bevel on it for sure. Rings don't travel that far down. That's a skirt wear line

well, thanks for the tip. I will look into it. I mocked up the piston and noted the pin and gap aligned. but I just now went and looked at AM piston and OE piston. the OE skirt corner is in line, too with the pin. the same gray mark is also burnished on the piston skirt... cannot even feel it, only see it. so thanks... will help me further 'read' the slug n jug...

I appreciate your input! it's always in the details! :)

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well, thanks for the tip. I will look into it. I mocked up the piston and noted the pin and gap aligned. but I just now went and looked at AM piston and OE piston. the OE skirt corner is in line, too with the pin. the same gray mark is also burnished on the piston skirt... cannot even feel it, only see it. so thanks... will help me further 'read' the slug n jug...

I appreciate your input! it's always in the details! :)
Just be watchful of the rings coming down into the top of the intake port. That port looks quite wide. If only the bottom ring drops in, I might run only the top ring. If a ring drops that low, id give a the top of the port a good arch.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

I told a guy a while back it's like combining machine work and art ...and both are important

Zoo City Sawz

it is, requires an intelligent approach and then u shake up the two... and so then: what can 'you' achieve!

:)

ps: tain't easy!

B

Backyard Lumberjack

i am good with a burr grinder as i am a boilermaker and do pressure welds in power plants running on right is the key to smooth and accurate our waterwall boiler tubes have a 3/8 inch spacing so things are a little tight when welding plus we buddy weld where we pass the arc off to have a continuous weld

I am a skilled welder, but never heard of passing off the arc to another... wow! :)

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mdavlee knows what i mean

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
welcome but it keeps all the starts on the front where it is easier to clean up and less chance of porosity our welds are pressure tested to around 4200 psi has to be 1 1/2 times the working pressure for insurance reasons

B

Backyard Lumberjack

welcome but it keeps all the starts on the front where it is easier to clean up and less chance of porosity our welds are pressure tested to around 4200 psi has to be 1 1/2 times the working pressure for insurance reasons

comprendo! handing off the arc, and ensuring the quality of the weld puddle... can clearly see the importance of not stopping and inducing a cooling effect... as the metallurgy would change...

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Just be watchful of the rings coming down into the top of the intake port. That port looks quite wide. If only the bottom ring drops in, I might run only the top ring. If a ring drops that low, id give a the top of the port a good arch.

appreciate your input. I don't feel I removed metal excessively. not my first rodeo. :) tool was held with finger tip pressure... lite use of the cutters. minimal pressure if any at all... that port was wide OEM. rings show at BDC, in intake port window, bottom and half top. crankcase pressure for transfers/intake function 6 psi more or less... a gentle push... force... no ring req'd... the CR can see 150-170 depending... and when ignition takes place pressure rises fast. down comes the piston, rings hard at work and then next lady in line is... the exhaust port... when the piston clears the top of the exhaust port, there are no rings in the intake port. down comes the piston and introduces blowdown... at this time... there is no pressure on the rings... just in for the ride... concave of the piston does the work in this phase... albeit a call to duty only moments away... I think 'we' are on the right path... and the porting has been carefully thot out and executed... time will tell....

stay tuned! :)