can we have basic porting term thread?

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG
This is what we call a open port design. It came before the closed port design. Saws from the 50's 60's and 70's and some even into the 80's had the open port design. the piston has a full skirt and it forms one wall of the port. This is a new old stock homelite super 925 xl. There is no intake port as this saw uses reed valve induction. The carb feeds into the crankcase through the reed block. Some folks refer to the angled third port on the right hand side of the cylinder a "boost port" , although it is not a true boost port like the big McCullochs or motorcycle engines have.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG
Here's a Husqvarna 385 xp cylinder. It's in the closed port family of saws, but we just call it a quad port cylinder. It has two separate tunnels to each of the port on each side of the cylinder. Hence a quad port. There are some intermediate designs, Echo cs 8000 comes to mind, with one large lower that splits into two port per side. The newest, stronger running designs seem to have the lower transfers feeding from the case and not the cylinder wall.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 9819 View attachment 9820

Here's the money shots. A degree wheel, you'll need to make one using a drill chuck to get the blow down numbers. Many builders here will share with you on how to use one. It's how I learned.

When I finally put a wheel on a saw and played around with it is when it really started clicking. Funny thing is once I got the wheel it makes you start thinking of a hole other ball of wax!!!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a degree wheel i bought when i was building my old truck motor comp cams degree wheel with dial indicator but you guys are speaking a whole nother language on this to me

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i have a degree wheel i bought when i was building my old truck motor comp cams degree wheel with dial indicator but you guys are speaking a whole nother language on this to me
That is where mine came from, rescued from a life of dialing in big chevy cams. It now lives in a world of much higher gains of performance and vastly higher RPM's.