Axes and associated items

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best wedge pounding axe I’ve ever used is a 5 pound Hults Bruks- Stroh ax. I think Stroh is the name of the distributor. The ax was made in Sweden and has very dense steel. Side by side with a 5 pound Collins the HB drives wedges much easier. Guy on eBay has some and wants $500 a head. Wow. I have a Granfors Bruks 4 pounder that has the same kind of super dense steel but doesn’t have quite the right shape. I use it a lot in small timber and it will out drive my other 4 pounders. I think they heat and fold and beat the steel over and over to get it so dense. I just know when you hit a wedge with those Swedish steel axes it really sinks it.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you really need an expensive axe to drive wedges? I don't drive them often but I use an old cheap axe that I painted completely orange so I wouldn't lose it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you really need an expensive axe to drive wedges? I don't drive them often but I use an old cheap axe that I painted completely orange so I wouldn't lose it.

No one needs an expensive anything ;) but I'm not shopping for the most expensive anything. A friend on here has some vintage heads and what not that I am interested in.

What is everyone using for wedges these days? I bought some long ago on Amazon that were excellent, very hard. Redneck Convent was the name.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one needs an expensive anything ;) but I'm not shopping for the most expensive anything. A friend on here has some vintage heads and what not that I am interested in.

What is everyone using for wedges these days? I bought some long ago on Amazon that were excellent, very hard. Redneck Convent was the name.
Granted they don't see much use, but I bought the orange ones from cold Creek loggers on Amazon. They were like $22 for 6. They are the 5 or 5.5 inch.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

K&H and some cheap Madsens brand mixed in.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah you don't need a $500 ax to smash wedges, but you do want something with good balance so blows are accurate. Something around 22-28" you can choke up & use one handed with ease/accuracy. It will get used for knocking out face cuts & maybe some splitting. Out of like 10 axes you try something will just feel right.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is and older no name head about 3.5 pounds, I put a new shorter handle in it. To me a shorter handle is a little more convenient and easier to handle in the woods. 8" husqvarna wedges I picked up a couple weeks ago on clearance for $3 a piece, would have bought more if they had anymore.
b851ca6e81ee7150adacf6b6a42e3609.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk