High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Axes and associated items

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
5:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have Fiskars axes in a few sizes, They lack the fashion statement appeal but are very practical and durable.
Can be made razor sharp and no problems banging on plastic wedges.

The hatchets especially are constant companions around the acres here and can serve a wide variety of tasks.

Edit: I like modern materials and designs. Tools should evolve for the better when possible.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a smallish old 3lb plumb axe head from ebay and mounted it on a 26" curved Tennessee hickory high grade handle. I cut off half the "swell" for more comfort when banging wedges. I went w/ the tallest axe head I could find in my weight range for max area to bang wedges. She's a short tall axe head. It could certainly chop out a stuck saw too if need be. But old axe heads is where it's at for tough good metal. I'll post a pic later.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t claim to know much about axes but here’s my opinion based on beating on a lot of wedges. A good wedge pounder should be proportionally heavy enough for the size of the trees you’re lifting,I like the striking surface of the head to be wide and slightly rounded. some axes are narrow and flat with sharp edges and they eat up wedges fast. Ever look at the face of a golf club, like a driver? It’s not perfectly flat, it’s slightly rounded so you don’t have to hit the ball perfectly square. Gives you more of a sweet spot. The distance between the handle and the striking surface is important. Too far and it has more propensity to twist in your hand. Too short and it’s easy to hit the handle on the wedge and break the handle. I have modified axes with a grinder to get a more wedge friendly profile, dipping in a bucket of water to keep them cool. Council axes are pretty inconsistent and that is sometimes good because you can look through a bunch and occasionally find one that’s wider with a shorter poll and they pound good. Collins aren’t too bad, a little long in the poll. I cut one down a bit and changed the striking profile with a grinder and I like it. It’s like a poor man’s Stroh although I lost a little weight from the mod. There’s my long winded opinion on wedge pounders

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don’t claim to know much about axes but here’s my opinion based on beating on a lot of wedges. A good wedge pounder should be proportionally heavy enough for the size of the trees you’re lifting,I like the striking surface of the head to be wide and slightly rounded. some axes are narrow and flat with sharp edges and they eat up wedges fast. Ever look at the face of a golf club, like a driver? It’s not perfectly flat, it’s slightly rounded so you don’t have to hit the ball perfectly square. Gives you more of a sweet spot. The distance between the handle and the striking surface is important. Too far and it has more propensity to twist in your hand. Too short and it’s easy to hit the handle on the wedge and break the handle. I have modified axes with a grinder to get a more wedge friendly profile, dipping in a bucket of water to keep them cool. Council axes are pretty inconsistent and that is sometimes good because you can look through a bunch and occasionally find one that’s wider with a shorter poll and they pound good. Collins aren’t too bad, a little long in the poll. I cut one down a bit and changed the striking profile with a grinder and I like it. It’s like a poor man’s Stroh although I lost a little weight from the mod. There’s my long winded opinion on wedge pounders
Well fer a guy who dont "claim" to know much about axes you sure do know much about axes...
Thanks

Guess my yellow handle "harbor freight " special is gonna have to be retired... :)

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha. Anything will work, I’ve beat on wedges with big pieces of limbs after I broke a handle. I see guys on YouTube spanking with little hammers. They all work and if you’re not doing it every day it probably doesn’t make much difference :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL...[emoji106][emoji16]

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 3lb Husqvarna axe that I’ve done hours of carving work with. It’s not a fallers axe but the steel is excellent. The grind was too fat from the store, but now it’s shaving sharp.

My Dad set me up with a 30” Kelly stamped CCC that I do real chopping with. May be the first and last axe I’ll ever own.

I usually drive wedges with a 3lb sledge painted hot pink (Pinkster). Turns out there is very little in the woods that is neon pink. My smallest wedges are the same color. When you touch one with the chain neon confetti goes everywhere.