High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Anybody else satisfied with stock chainsaws?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that it makes me sounds boring,

And it could get me ostracized on a fan site like this.

But it's an election year, so a good time for all opinions to be heard.

Anybody else satisfied with stock chainsaws? Happy if they start and run the way that STIHL or Husqvarna (or other) engineers intended them to? I never heard of 'modded' saws until frequenting sites like this. And a few have been fun to try at GTG's. But I have had plenty of frustration with saws that wold not start, or were dirty, or poorly maintained. So give me a clean, well maintained saw that starts, runs, and has a sharp chain, and I am probably going to be a happy camper.

(flame on)

Philbert

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Best stock saw I have run would be an 044, 10mm. That saw was really strong.

Have an 034, and 7900, 7300 that are stock and run well enough to leave alone.

Stock 200t runs great also.

Sharp chain makes all the difference, IMHO

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have quite a few that are only have muffler mods and few have both base delete and mm and a few that are ported. I only have two saws all stock.. A 192 and a 026 and I do run them both.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have quite a few that are only have muffler mods and few have both base delete and mm and a few that are ported. I only have two saws all stock.. A 192 and a 026 and I do run them both.
Advance the timing about 6° and open the exhaust hole up and your 192 will be a different saw.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
192 is much better modded, just like the early 201s. Most of my rear handles are pretty stock except for a few muffler mods.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with exSW, if you select good performers to begin with its not that neccessary. And as Thomas1 says about chains is true, how many saw vids do you see a hopped up saw cutting with a poor chain. Even without a fordom, degree wheel and lathe you can do simple things to improve performance like simply bringing a saw to the engineers original design specs, removing casting flash, port match gaskets improving muffler flow etc. I have had some impressive results modding carbs using strato carbs on non strato designs etc. Porting and squish band mods are good too but not all builders are brilliant, so finding a good builder is hard too. Many saws in vids would improve a lot just being tuned properly with a well filled chain. Having said all that, a well moddified saw done by a real pro can completely change a saw's personality and improve enjoyment using it. Done not so well can leave you with a fuel pig, high revving guttless POS.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw modding is very much a "to each their own" practice. I can honestly say that I had no complaints about my saws before I started tinkering with them. The only reason I started modding them is, well, because I could. Lol! It has become a hobby to me and in the end I get a saw that runs better than it did before. Is it needed for what I do? Absolutely not. Is it fun? Heck yeah! Guess it stems from years of wrenching on and modding wheelers and SBCs (Insert Tim Allen more power tool time grunt). Next step for me is going to be scavenging up the coin to send one of my saws to a pro like Mastermind to really get it running to its potential.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw modding is very much a "to each their own" practice. I can honestly say that I had no complaints about my saws before I started tinkering with them. The only reason I started modding them is, well, because I could. Lol! It has become a hobby to me and in the end I get a saw that runs better than it did before. Is it needed for what I do? Absolutely not. Is it fun? Heck yeah! Guess it stems from years of wrenching on and modding wheelers and SBCs (Insert Tim Allen more power tool time grunt). Next step for me is going to be scavenging up the coin to send one of my saws to a pro like Mastermind to really get it running to its potential.

That guy is a complete hack.

Talk to Treemonkey. He's the real deal.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No refunds.

Exchange only.

Sew Solly
I would say I was just busting your balls, but I'm sure your sore enough. I just got my 460 back from Randy for those that are wondering what's going on. Great guy to deal with by the way. Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran most of my saws for a while stock. They of course were a joy to run. (346, 262, 365p, 7910) Now I have all 4 of them ported and like them even better.

I have a 288 and 550 that are on my bench right now. I honestly have no intentions on porting those two saws once they are running.