Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I know there have been a couple threads about this saw. I saw a couple of you comment on how you liked the saw @leadfarmer had, but not too many thoughts about it as a everyday worksaw. Sew I thought I’d kick things off with this thread.

I’ve had my hands on one of theses for a few weeks now and have had a chance to put around 6ish tanks through this saw in stock form, and I have to say I dig it so far. I earn a living from my equipment so yes I keep my saws pretty clean. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.00A50097-FCE4-4705-862B-31E5C129DDA6.jpeg
Let’s get weights and measures out of the way first. I know this saw is supposed to weigh the same as a ms362 and slightly less than a 562 but this saw seems somehow less…. Clunky than a ms362. The saw kind of feels like a snotty redheded mutt of a 562 and an 044 to me. Like a modern super light 044 with the same grunt, faster spool up, and way, way smoother. I could throw up some pics of this thing ready to cut on my super official bathroom scale, but really what would that prove?

It would make a great one plan firewood saw. Slots in nicely between a 50cc and an 80/90cc saw classes in a 3 saw plan. It really does blur the line between the 60 and 70cc saw classes.

Today I used it to fell and break down a 40 foot backyard white ash. Not something I’d normally do with just one saw. Usually I start with a 2511 and then move to a 50cc saw and then move up to a 7910 or 066/395 if it’s a large tree.

I didn’t feel fatigued using the 400 on the ash today. I think this saw readily handles anything I can cut with the 20” bar and chain on it. Speaking of chain I should mention that I am running 3/8s .050 full comp and chisel. Square ground of course.

I’ll throw up some more pics here of the saw after a awhile, but I’ll leave the tear down pic up to @Red97 to post if he wants when he ports it. If Joe feels like it he’s welcome to share the stock dyno run here as well.

I should have some in tree use feedback here in a couple weeks when I remove a medium size Black walnut tree in a tight back yard. In the meantime does anyone else wanna share some daily-ish use thoughts on this saw?

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have ported quite a few of them, same chasis as the 362 but different piston and cylinder, they do run quite a bit better stock then a 362 imo, ported I felt like they made solid gains and I think they would be great as a firewood saw, if memory serves the handle was all plastic and that part felt cheap to me but otherwise I really liked it, in my area it definitely fills a spot for most who heat their homes, and we mostly run 20" here in my area.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad, in line with you saying it would be a great 1 firewood saw plan, in stock form what length bar do you think it would be able to run for say a number ofcuts if a larger tree was happened upon by said firewood guy? That's without totally Piltz-ing it out..

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad, in line with you saying it would be a great 1 firewood saw plan, in stock form what length bar do you think it would be able to run for say a number ofcuts if a larger tree was happened upon by said firewood guy? That's without totally Piltz-ing it out..

That’s a great question Ed. Although I haven’t tried it, I think this saw could run a 24” b&c in such a situation. I’ll give it a try, but it balances really well with the 20 that’s on it. The guy I was talking with at the Stihl shop said he had someone ask him to set one up with a 28” full skip set up. I think that seems pretty extreme/piltzy for the chassis of this saw to deal with.

fwiw I haven’t noticed the handle seeming any cheaper than Stihl’s other plastic handles.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have ported quite a few of them, same chasis as the 362 but different piston and cylinder, they do run quite a bit better stock then a 362 imo, ported I felt like they made solid gains and I think they would be great as a firewood saw, if memory serves the handle was all plastic and that part felt cheap to me but otherwise I really liked it, in my area it definitely fills a spot for most who heat their homes, and we mostly run 20" here in my area.

Plastic handle on a 800+$ saw? That’s surprising.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The factories seem to be hopping most all of these new saws up nowadays. Tough to get big gains like everyone got from the older saws.
Good time to be looking for a new saw.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plastic handle on a 800+$ saw? That’s surprising.
Is it really? How long has Stihl used plastic handle bars now? Since the days of the 026. Not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with this comment Mason but let’s keep the husky/Stihl poo flinging to a minimum. They both make nice saws and I think this one will be a winner.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know there have been a couple threads about this saw. I saw a couple of you comment on how you liked the saw @leadfarmer had, but not too many thoughts about it as a everyday worksaw. Sew I thought I’d kick things off with this thread.

I’ve had my hands on one of theses for a few weeks now and have had a chance to put around 6ish tanks through this saw in stock form, and I have to say I dig it so far. I earn a living from my equipment so yes I keep my saws pretty clean. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.View attachment 310868
Let’s get weights and measures out of the way first. I know this saw is supposed to weigh the same as a ms362 and slightly less than a 562 but this saw seems somehow less…. Clunky than a ms362. The saw kind of feels like a snotty redheded mutt of a 562 and an 044 to me. Like a modern super light 044 with the same grunt, faster spool up, and way, way smoother. I could throw up some pics of this thing ready to cut on my super official bathroom scale, but really what would that prove?

It would make a great one plan firewood saw. Slots in nicely between a 50cc and an 80/90cc saw classes in a 3 saw plan. It really does blur the line between the 60 and 70cc saw classes.

Today I used it to fell and break down a 40 foot backyard white ash. Not something I’d normally do with just one saw. Usually I start with a 2511 and then move to a 50cc saw and then move up to a 7910 or 066/395 if it’s a large tree.

I didn’t feel fatigued using the 400 on the ash today. I think this saw readily handles anything I can cut with the 20” bar and chain on it. Speaking of chain I should mention that I am running 3/8s .050 full comp and chisel. Square ground of course.

I’ll throw up some more pics here of the saw after a awhile, but I’ll leave the tear down pic up to @Red97 to post if he wants when he ports it. If Joe feels like it he’s welcome to share the stock dyno run here as well.

I should have some in tree use feedback here in a couple weeks when I remove a medium size Black walnut tree in a tight back yard. In the meantime does anyone else wanna share some daily-ish use thoughts on this saw?

Very nicely done review BTW.

Thank you for taking the time to write this Brad.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 261, 362, and this saw use a hollow plastic handlebar. I've yet to see that be an issue. I'd imagine it is used to save a couple of ounces.
Your definitely right, probably used to save weight or $. Imo they are fine until you use them in wet conditions, get oil on your hands or sweat (pretty much a guaranteed using a chainsaw). A rubber grip of some sort like they do on metal handles would be great.

Last edited:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many cc’s is this saw? I got somewhere inbetween 60-70 from the OP. U know for us not as ejumacated stihl guys:D referring it to a snotty 562 makes me think shes a goodin! My 562 feels amazing with a lite 20”. I dont think id run a different bar ever. Just the bar that stays on that saw. As a hobby cutters POV.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many cc’s is this saw? I got somewhere inbetween 60-70 from the OP. U know for us not as ejumacated stihl guys:D referring it to a snotty 562 makes me think shes a goodin! My 562 feels amazing with a lite 20”. I dont think id run a different bar ever. Just the bar that stays on that saw. As a hobby cutters POV.
I think they’re 66cc. Might be 67

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the good info Woodpecker. We have been thinking about using these saws on our fire crew and from everything we hear they may fit the bill perfectly. The part I am not sure about is using a 28" bar on it. That size of bar is standard for us up here in north Idaho. We'll use it for some brushing and limbing but they'll also get used for a fair amount of falling and bucking. Sometimes cutting through fire hardened woods or some big trees. We've got an abundance of those of here. Do you happen to know what the weight difference is between the 400 and 500i?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your definitely right, probably used to save weight or $. Imo they are fine until you use them in wet conditions, get oil on your hands or sweat (pretty much a guaranteed using a chainsaw). A rubber grip of some sort like they do on metal handles would be great.

Interesting take. Wouldn’t have thought of that. Never had a problem with the plastic handles in those conditions myself. In comparing this handle to my 395 handle I have to say the 395 feels more slick. It’s more solid for sure. I think the plastic handle is nice because it doesn’t transfer as much vibration. That’s significant to me with saw related nerve damage. I’ve also had them shrug off minor impacts without bending. Ymmv.