First Cut With 660

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had this Granberg for probably 3 years and never have used it until today. I decided to give it a quick run, just to see how good, or not good, the 660 could go through it. The fat end is 2 ft and the small end is 18 inches and it's maple. The dark spot is rot unfortunately, but it doesn't go all the way through.

Thankfully, I have a fella on here building me a ported 394, because the 660 is lacking power for sure. I may even invest in a 3120 as well, because I was pretty shocked at how slow a go it was. I know the stock 660 isn't heavy on the wow factor, as far as power compared to ported 394's/5's, or 100 cc plus saws, but still. This isn't that big of a chunk of wood either.

Even with that said, I'm happy to get this going and start cutting slabs. Seems to me, this could become pretty addictive.
IMG_20220506_135757_722.jpgIMG_20220506_135757_722.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_135808_181.jpg
    IMG_20220506_135808_181.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220506_135816_792.jpg
    IMG_20220506_135816_792.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 29

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling isn't a fast thing and a ported 066/660 doesn't do too bad on a mill. That's what I started with but I just built a 395 to replace it. I added the winch and built a auxiliary oiler so ill never have to worry about the bar getting enough oil.

Yes I agree this can be addictive! Nice looking slabs!

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling isn't a fast thing and a ported 066/660 doesn't do too bad on a mill. That's what I started with but I just built a 395 to replace it. I added the winch and built a auxiliary oiler so ill never have to worry about the bar getting enough oil.

I was just looking at the winch, because after 3 cuts my pushing hand is feeling it and I'm a manual laborer, so it's not like I'm soft. Lol Auxiliary oiler is also on the list. I was just taking my little oiler and oiling the nose end every couple minutes but an automatic setup would be tons better.

I bet ported would do a lot better. I did take the chain off and touch it up, even though it wasn't bad at all and the second cut went a bit better, but then halfway through the 3rd the chain was lacking again. Looks like I'm gona need to touch it up every cut. The second cut was twice as fast as the first or third. So apparently it takes a wicked sharp chain. Which isn't too bad overall I guess. Even if a guy goes through a chain per trunk, it would be fine I'd reckon, if he got 8 or 10 slabs. At least I'd be fine with it.

Thank you Mr. Dan! I appreciate it!

Modern 660s aren't as good as the older models at least until you open up the muffler

I'm not sure where this 660 falls into line, but I got it from The Chainsaw Guy, up in Canada. It was completely rebuilt when I got it a couple years ago and has only been used for maybe 6 tanks since then, but it has 2 pipes (dual port) muffler on it and a Max Flow air filter, but other than that it's stock. It does perfectly fine power wise for me, cross cutting, but I'm still going to upgrade.

Here's the next couple cuts. I really wish that rot wasn't in there, but it is what it is. I have a couple dozen big honey locust trunks I'm going to do when I get a bigger saw. Thanks goodness I'm moving to the country in 6 or so months, because I think people are going to get tired of me milling. lol

20220506_163616.jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I forgot to ask, is your 395 ported?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet the ported 394 is twice as fast as a stock 660

That's going to be so nice. It's going to be awesome. I can't wait! I mean, I can wait and will wait.............you get the point. Lol

I have a roughly, 3x4x6 honey locust trunk that's going to be one of the first ones I do, after a few tanks.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are planning on investing in a 394 and a 3120 I would suggest putting your money in a band mill. You are losing 1/4” of material every cut and as you have found out, it is painstakingly slow.

It appears your chain got dull on that slab to the left and you started pushing the saw. As you can see on this walnut slab, a band mill will give a smoother finish while wasting less material.

5578D064-EBE4-47E1-9D6E-DC40010A8AF6.jpeg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are planning on investing in a 394 and a 3120 I would suggest putting your money in a band mill. You are losing 1/4” of material every cut and as you have found out, it is painstakingly slow.

It appears your chain got dull on that slab to the left and you started pushing the saw. As you can see on this walnut slab, a band mill will give a smoother finish while wasting less material.

View attachment 335959

Yep, it did for sure. Been reading a bit more and I'm going to work the chain over a bit and try some of what others have tried. The second cut was a lot better than the first and 3rd. I'll get it figured out and get it to where it's not quite as bad.

I'd love a bandsaw mill, but to get one that can do the widths I want and plan on doing, they're pricey. I have a lot of 3 and 4 foot diameter trunks I want to mill. That's what keeps me from going that route. If 2 ft was the max I'd want to mill, I'd definitely be looking at a bandsaw mill.

I also do a bit of tree work, so the saws will be used for that as well. Dual purposes.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling is fun to see the reveal of wood as each slab comes off….but chainsaw milling is a lot of work…and rough…bandsaws are awesome.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling is fun to see the reveal of wood as each slab comes off….but chainsaw milling is a lot of work…and rough…bandsaws are awesome.

Maybe someday one will be in the cards, but chainsw milling is going to have to do for now. I'm trying to get a house and a shop built at the farm, so a bandsaw mill is low on the priority list. It would be cool though.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had a dollar for every time someone said “you need to buy a bandsaw”…small wood that fits in a band saw is easy stuff and doesn’t bring much value for resale. The price of a large bandsaw capable of handling 48”+ is ridiculous. A winch and dual chainsaw powerhead is much cheaper and can get guy into many large logs. If I wanted to get into a dimensional lumber marker a cheaper bandsaw setup would be worth it. As it stands now most wood I cut is too wide for a bandsaw so as mentioned here before the price of them to cut the same wood just doesn’t make sense.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Second hand from a guy I used to work with. It was a cheap little Hud-Son with worthless log. Clamps but it did cut some lumber for me.

I live out on the plains in KS (hence the username), so our second hand market for anything bandsaw, or chainsaw for that matter, is all but nonexistent, unfortunately.

The closest thing to decent saws that pop up around here are the farm and ranch line of Stihl and I can honestly say, in my few decades of life, I've never seen, or heard of anyone owning a bandsaw mill out here. Not saying there isn't one somewhere, but we don't have the trees for anyone to invest in that.

I get a bit jealous of people who can find used saws left and right because they live in wooded areas. I have to buy new, or off Ebay, or if I buy one from someone on here.

Bottom line, someday I'll get something, or make one, but it's going to be awhile and it won't be big enough to handle some of the bigger stuff regardless, but one for smaller stuff would be pretty cool.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had a dollar for every time someone said “you need to buy a bandsaw”…small wood that fits in a band saw is easy stuff and doesn’t bring much value for resale. The price of a large bandsaw capable of handling 48”+ is ridiculous. A winch and dual chainsaw powerhead is much cheaper and can get guy into many large logs. If I wanted to get into a dimensional lumber marker a cheaper bandsaw setup would be worth it. As it stands now most wood I cut is too wide for a bandsaw so as mentioned here before the price of them to cut the same wood just doesn’t make sense.

We gotta work with what we got, or can reasonably attain sometimes.

I just looked after I started this thread, because it had been awhile since I checked, but after quickly checking a few sites, it looks like 20k is what it would take to get one big enough to do the trunks I have and that's before shipping and tax. So add another 3k probably to that. That's a bit more than, walking around money, for me. Lol

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very true. I’m happy to be wrong in suggesting a bandsaw mill. I could build one like Matthew Cremona (YT) at work if I’d make the time…

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s my goal someday, it would have to be home built and setup like his to make it worthwhile I think.