High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Another chainsaw dyno...

Walter Glover

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
B2B666EA-9FE9-4F01-B806-532FC50565B2.jpeg What an impressive thread! Found this searching for dyno numbers. I have built a disk brake dyno and playing with a 372xp kit saw for testing dyno. I can only get 2.85hp out of it so far. My question is for Red as I see the graphs have corr torque and hp trends. Is that ‘corrected’ numbers and if so what does that mean?
Thanks fellas

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 290259 What an impressive thread! Found this searching for dyno numbers. I have built a disk brake dyno and playing with a 372xp kit saw for testing dyno. I can only get 2.85hp out of it so far. My question is for Red as I see the graphs have corr torque and hp trends. Is that ‘corrected’ numbers and if so what does that mean?
Thanks fellas

Nice setup.

What do you have measuring tq? And rpm?

Maybe you are missing part of the calculation somewhere.

"Corrected" means the weather conditions are all recorded and corrected to the same baseline.

So a saw run on a hot summer day, would be corrected to the same standard as one run a cold winter day.

Temp, humidity, barometric pressure is all monitored and recorded throughout the runs. Those things can change the output of an engine this size.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 290259 What an impressive thread! Found this searching for dyno numbers. I have built a disk brake dyno and playing with a 372xp kit saw for testing dyno. I can only get 2.85hp out of it so far. My question is for Red as I see the graphs have corr torque and hp trends. Is that ‘corrected’ numbers and if so what does that mean?
Thanks fellas
A good test might be to run a wimpy little 25cc saw on there and see if it can reach anywhere near the rpm it can off the dyno with a regular bar and chain. Such a test may show more friction in your setup than expected.

Are you figuring the gear ratio and rpm properly? Looks like if the HP was doubled it would be correct. 2.85x2 = 5.7hp

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nutball,I am using the dyno rpm and torque to get hp
Is that not correct?
7.5 pounds torque at 2000 rpm = 2.85hp

This is where it gets very difficult....

Calibrating everything from scratch.

Can you set a known weight on your cylinder and measure the reading?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nutball,I am using the dyno rpm and torque to get hp
Is that not correct?
7.5 pounds torque at 2000 rpm = 2.85hp

I'm not the best at math, but best bet is convert torque and rpm back to what the engine is putting out. In theory the HP should be the same at the dyno end, but there may be a conversion error somewhere.

2.85 is right, maybe just a junk saw?

Oh, yea, what Red sed, calibrate. And you don't want any other forces finding their way in like the weight if the braking system if it could skew the results. Darn variables.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice setup.

What do you have measuring tq? And rpm?

Maybe you are missing part of the calculation somewhere.

"Corrected" means the weather conditions are all recorded and corrected to the same baseline.

So a saw run on a hot summer day, would be corrected to the same standard as one run a cold winter day.

Temp, humidity, barometric pressure is all monitored and recorded throughout the runs. Those things can change the output of an engine this size.
SO... there are variables??? HaHaHaHa...

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SO... there are variables??? HaHaHaHa...

He could throw out the numbers entirely.

And see what changes come about

That is where all the extra gadgets come into play.

Average,and correct everything back to the same baseline no matter the variables.

It is all just part of learning the system. That is also the reason I took the route I did with a mostly store bought system. Tech support sure is handy at times.

Walter Glover

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A buddy just delivered a properly calibrated large scale pressure gauge. Also will upgrade the force sensor mounting for near frictionless action. Torque arm and caliper were made in such a way that they are balanced and bearing mounted.
I will check calibration with a known weight
Also recheck tach cal
Thanks fellas

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red will do that tomorrow. Was excited to see the big gauge reading so nice!

If you have a lesser saw to try out as well.

I will warn you..... this dyno adventure is going to test your patience something fierce.... But it can be so much fun too.