NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf256 shipped me an oem p&c he had already ported for someone else. After install, I'll post a video of it running. So this one is the before... With the muddled cylinder lol.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf256 shipped me an oem p&c he had already ported for someone else. After install, I'll post a video of it running. So this one is the before... With the muddled cylinder lol.
Sounds good.
How does it respond dogged-in with a decent load on it?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s the P/C I did for Definitive Dave before I did his last one with the 246 piston and fingers. He sent it back to me because he only ran one 026.

An older build from back when I had a crappy atlas lathe. The piston crown a bit too grooved for my liking these days, but was a fine runner.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How tight do you run your chain? It might just be funky audio but it kinda sounds like your chain is so tight that it halts as soon as you let off the throttle. I would think that a chain being that tight would put a fair amount of extra drag on the engine. Someone please correct me if I am over thinking this.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How tight do you run your chain? It might just be funky audio but it kinda sounds like your chain is so tight that it halts as soon as you let off the throttle. I would think that a chain being that tight would put a fair amount of extra drag on the engine. Someone please correct me if I am over thinking this.
It is a little tighter than I normally run. I was hasty in my adjustment as I was messing with the tripod I got to make that video. Rain was pending and I was in a hurry. Usually, I like it to sag just barely off the bar at rest, brake off. More loose than most guys like. I'm sure that's wrong. But I don't throw chains. I leave the slashing to the lil echo cs 3450

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking forward to your report of enhanced performance after running Doc’s top end!

These 024/026 saws are light, powerful, and handle great.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking forward to your report of enhanced performance after running Doc’s top end!

These 024/026 saws are light, powerful, and handle great.
I'm stoked! It's been a fun journey... Now it's time for this saw to WORK 🤣

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I arrived home from work at 4:30, doc's care package had arrived. I wasted no time... 20230403_173138.jpg
Those are where mine wound up after all the molesting... I measured everything I had in the interest of keeping good track. Disassembled, cleaned base mate, installed doc's piston with no ring, snuggled the jug with two bolts, and measured everything. The squish was perfect at .018". I documented the new numbers but I won't be posting them as requested. I did however say I was going to take pictures, but like a child on Christmas morning, I did not. All I can tell you is that I saw what he did and it was delicate, symmetrical, clean... Exh port is shorter, yet wider than mine. Nice subtle notches on the outer floor. The lowers appear untouched. The intake got alot of attention. And the uppers as well. So I assembled. I discovered the pin clips from the hiway kit don't fit the oem pistons. So be mindful of that if swapping around. It's possible to get the clips to appear installed. One of those pops out and it's likely the end of the whole unit. The other discory I made was that to get these things in the ballpark, the cylinder has to be lowered so much that the exhaust needs the bolt holes altered. Lots of meat off the base. Easy fix, port matched the gasket and muffler... I'm also considering finding a slightly longer stud for the top engine cover, and possibly a shim for the rubber bumper that goes on the other one. @drf256 had also sent me a nice metal screen filter, but I haven't put that on as my 426b carb has that vent nipple with oring that goes into my current airfilter. I figure that discovery has been made by many on here, so I'm sure there's a mod, or, a better carb I should be running. Regardless, put it all together, pulled twice with switch off, choked, and pulled once and it was immediately alive. I did the base carb tuning. Tomorrow morning when I get to work, I'll see if I can get a video of it cutting. It sounds RIGHT!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the muffler, just drill the two lower muffler holes on the can and lid bigger. That will allow the entire muffler to sit lower on the case and the bolts to line up. The Fly side of the 026 mufkin has a protrusion that fits into a recess in the Fly side of the case. Gotta drill that out, or it will try to pull the muffler up.

As for the AF, you can either swap into an OEM Nylon filter, or swap your metering plate to a flat one. If you swap your metering plate and use the metal filter, your rear cover won’t lock on, and you’ll need to find and old style rear cover.

Last edited:

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the muffler, just drill the two lower muffler holes on the van and lid bigger. That will allow the entire muffler to sit lower on the case and the bolts to line up. The Fly side of the 026 mufkin has a protrusion that fits into a recess in the Fly side of the case. Gotta drill that out, or it will try to pull the muffler up.

As for the AF, you can either swap into an OEM Nylon filter, or swap your metering plate to a flat one. If you swap your metering plate and use the metal filter, your rear cover won’t lock on, and you’ll need to find and old style rear cover.
The muffler is on, as you described! I matched it to your port too. I'm excited to get this thing into some wood Al! I'm going to try to get to the shop early and setup the tripod. Thanks again man! It's beautiful!

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want to run the mesh filter but only have the new style filter cover, a small piece of duct tape works just fine to hold it to the tank.
I did that on my 036 before I found an old type cover.