NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be much easier to dial-in the cylinder if you remove the outer piece of aluminum and added nuts on both sides of the cylinder flange...
That picture was before it was chucked up. Although I kept that plate, I did back nut the base flange to it. My challenges were mostly due to how worn out my buddy's lathe and chucks are. I tried shims, yada yada... I spent over 4 hours trying to dial it in. It walked on me. I had a feeling it would.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That picture was before it was chucked up. Although I kept that plate, I did back nut the base flange to it. My challenges were mostly due to how worn out my buddy's lathe and chucks are. I tried shims, yada yada... I spent over 4 hours trying to dial it in. It walked on me. I had a feeling it would.
That sucks.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got done rebuilding an 026 also, mine idles well but seems to run out of gas on the high end. I was using a Chinese carburetor so I guess now I'll go back to the Walbro 194 and see if it does any better. I put a new fuel line on it also so I guess I'll see if it is kinked or anything. It's bad to buy a bunch of new parts and find out the parts you took off were just as good as the new ones you bought..

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got done rebuilding an 026 also, mine idles well but seems to run out of gas on the high end. I was using a Chinese carburetor so I guess now I'll go back to the Walbro 194 and see if it does any better. I put a new fuel line on it also so I guess I'll see if it is kinked or anything. It's bad to buy a bunch of new parts and find out the parts you took off were just as good as the new ones you bought..
I learned the hard way on this build too man. I started out with a farmertec copy of the 194. It ran but wasn't very tunable. I bought a new 426b for it and it was perfect. Also, definitely don't go aftermarket on fuel or impulse hoses. Trash. Oem only.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh... And the fuel line likes getting sandwiched between the carb and the air filter when you you tighten the filter down. Make sure that is below the air filter.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks.
As I said when I joined this site... I knew this would be hard, and was prepared to fail. Not a huge loss... It was a hyway topend. And, it runs. Tomorrow I'll try and tune it and put it in some wood. If it'll cut, that'll buy me some time to for something from a real saw porter! 😁😁😁

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I said when I joined this site... I knew this would be hard, and was prepared to fail. Not a huge loss... It was a hyway topend. And, it runs. Tomorrow I'll try and tune it and put it in some wood. If it'll cut, that'll buy me some time to for something from a real saw porter! 😁😁😁
Best of luck man, hopefully it gets you by for a whle. At least the mindset was correct. "If you ain't f'n $h!t up, you ain't learning"...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best of luck man, hopefully it gets you by for a whle. At least the mindset was correct. "If you ain't f'n $h!t up, you ain't learning"...
That's exactly right. You can't learn anything unless you try. There are millions of those cylinders out there too. Ruining a few ain't the end of the world.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When possible, I enlarge the bolt passages through the fins so that I can utilize modified bolts/studs... should resolve most if not all chatter issues. Your set-up has excessive weight away from the chuck, then add the rotation/axial forces (wanting to twist and catch)... due to the lack of rigidity.
Hopefully you don't ming me dropping pics and a video or two to show what I do. I feel it could help tremendously to reduce/remove chatter. There's many ways to skin a cat.. this is just how I do it.

FYI 1/4-20 all thread can be reduced to 5mm and quickly threaded with a die if you want a studier stud on these small cylinders that are held down with 5mm bolts. Then you don't have to enlarge the bolt access holes.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI 1/4-20 all thread can be reduced to 5mm and quickly threaded with a die if you want a studier stud on these small cylinders that are held down with 5mm bolts. Then you don't have to enlarge the bolt access holes.
Yep, many ways to skin the cat... I think that's why (or one of the reasons) I enjoy working on saws... personally i prefer opening the access holes to allow for a snug fit between the cylinder and the studs. The 460bb I opened the holes approximately. 020" in-order to use 5/16" studs. Made for an extremely snug but rigid setup.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just run M5 threaded rod up through the fins and flange nuts on the base. Only time they move is from chatter. Either from a dull bit or from an asswhole 562 plated band. About .0005” per pass until through the plating. If the band isn’t plated I’ll take .015” in a single pass

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just run M5 threaded rod up through the fins and flange nuts on the base. Only time they move is from chatter. Either from a dull bit or from an asswhole 562 plated band. About .0005” per pass until through the plating. If the band isn’t plated I’ll take .015” in a single pass
I take anywhere from .010" to .025" per pass depending on the tool/insert being used. The standard boring bar insert I take .010"... the 3 point insert i face feed relatively heavy, .025".

Last edited:

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet that's how I moved it. I thought 3thou nips were gentle enough. Bet money I wasn't through the nikasil yet. 5 tenths woulda been tough on that sloppy lathe though.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet that's how I moved it. I thought 3thou nips were gentle enough. Bet money I wasn't through the nikasil yet. 5 tenths woulda been tough on that sloppy lathe though.
Mine is true but the wheel threads are sloppy. Backlash central. I tighten the gibs down a little on tough bands

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is true but the wheel threads are sloppy. Backlash central. I tighten the gibs down a little on tough bands
Showing my ignorance... The gibs are the screws on the part that slides on the ways, that tightens said part on said ways? I was not successful in eliminating all lash using those. There seemed to be a ton in the threaded portions (threads that dials drive). If I had this to do again, I'd want to mill fixture plates and use aluminum bar to support them, like @Rich Fife did. I like the idea of bolting the jug to the base plate, rather than running through the fin holes. I have to look back to see who to credit that idea with. When I worked at the machine shop, I made lots of fixtures for making parts. We made parts for mistubishi heavy industries corrugation division. Those Japanese fellas wanted some tight tolerances. Which was fun to try and achieve in a non climate controlled hot/ice box. I found fixtures and setup, like with most things, is key. On this saw project, I definitely lacked a mill, and the ability to stress setup. There wasn't a true dimension on those plates I made. That's why I marked them for orientation. I basically had to pick a side, (the least fubucked side lol), and work off that as the datum. Sheeesh. Next time I try this, I'll either have a small mill and my own lathe, or, I'll take my old boss at the shop some cookies in hopes he'll let me spend a Saturday making up fixtures and such lol. I still have my edge finders, mics, and verniers, and indicators... And he's still running ancient matsura's. And I think I might remember g code still, although most of this stuff can be done manually.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Showing my ignorance... The gibs are the screws on the part that slides on the ways, that tightens said part on said ways? I was not successful in eliminating all lash using those. There seemed to be a ton in the threaded portions (threads that dials drive). If I had this to do again, I'd want to mill fixture plates and use aluminum bar to support them, like @Rich Fife did. I like the idea of bolting the jug to the base plate, rather than running through the fin holes. I have to look back to see who to credit that idea with. When I worked at the machine shop, I made lots of fixtures for making parts. We made parts for mistubishi heavy industries corrugation division. Those Japanese fellas wanted some tight tolerances. Which was fun to try and achieve in a non climate controlled hot/ice box. I found fixtures and setup, like with most things, is key. On this saw project, I definitely lacked a mill, and the ability to stress setup. There wasn't a true dimension on those plates I made. That's why I marked them for orientation. I basically had to pick a side, (the least fubucked side lol), and work off that as the datum. Sheeesh. Next time I try this, I'll either have a small mill and my own lathe, or, I'll take my old boss at the shop some cookies in hopes he'll let me spend a Saturday making up fixtures and such lol. I still have my edge finders, mics, and verniers, and indicators... And he's still running ancient matsura's. And I think I might remember g code still, although most of this stuff can be done manually.

Yes, the gibs screws are the screws on the side or if it has a tapered gib on the front/rear of the cross slide. These are supposed to be adjusted to take out perpendicular movement to slide. Making these a little tightening will create more drag and hopefully keep the cross slide lead screw loaded to where it doesn't self feed into the cut.

It's normal to have a fair amount of backlash in a lead screw on a lathe, or any manual machine. They rely on mass, drag and tool load to keep screw engaged.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a mill you can split the brass nut to help eliminate or greatly reduce the backlash in the screw/nut engagement... but, like most manual equipment, the area of use is very limited to a localized area which will yield more wear in that area... if you tighten the gib(s) to remove or minimize the slop chances are when you move the carriage away or out of that specific area the table top or carriage (depending on if it's a lathe or mill) will bind... when I worked with a millwright we stoned flame hardened ways on an old Century Lathe and made new gibs... swore I'd never do the *s-word again. Lol