Not sold on square ground yet

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll say this much about square chisel chain, I definately like how smooth it is, I always try different things with the raker and cutter on round to duplicate it and I haven't figured it out yet...its just too expensive for me and for the most part I get round files for free.

If I ever get into saw racing and videos I'm sure I'll be down with square.
I agree with your opinions on square chain for tree service or firewood use. You do really need a Silvey/Simmington to make it a realistic option. I like the way square cuts particularly how smooth it is compared to round. A idea to consider....square chisel off the roll has more 'meat on the bone' compared to round as the don't remove as much cutter with the factory grind from a blank. You could buy a roll of RSK or CL and use it a few times until its dull or if you can't be forked touching it up with a chisel bit file then round grind it. You will be better off than buying factory round cutting more wood/sharpenings per loop. Yeah so it kinda makes sense to buy rolls of square whether you have a Simington or not if you use full chisel for work chain IMO. I basically use all round semi chisel so this is not what I do. But if I was cutting different wood species often...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then with a 2/10th cut time improvement using square combined with a ported saw with 'maxed out' cylinder porting, your trees service will go into overdrive. To match these speed efficiencies the chipper will need more power to keep up, groundies will need running shoes & a big turbo fitted to the chip truck. This will all pay for itself in short order due to increase efficiency.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then with a 2/10th cut time improvement using square combined with a ported saw with 'maxed out' cylinder porting, your trees service will go into overdrive. To match these speed efficiencies the chipper will need more power to keep up, groundies will need running shoes & a big turbo fitted to the chip truck. This will all pay for itself in short order due to increase efficiency.
Finally....all summed up in one post. Lol

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
View Quote
To quote captain O'Hagan:

ill-believe-that-when-me-*s-word-turns-purple-and-smellslike-28092189.png

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. My local Stihl dealer is not a rocket surgeon by any means. But if I take him a Stihl part number, he will order it. No questions asked. At first he would ask what saw it went on and go through his online catalog but he now knows this isn't my first rodeo.

He asked me a few months ago how I came into possession of the IPLs and SMs of so much Stihl equipment. My answer? I was a paratrooper in my former life. I know how to beg, steal, or borrow to get the job done...:dancer2:
Rocket surgeon eh? You must watch AVE.

is this the new oil thread? Lol
I was thinking the new GFY thread.....

Last edited: