iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a little late to the party but these angles have worked well for me in hardwood, they’re hand filed but cut very smooth and fast. Rakers are at 0.30”

Attachments

• 6067AE79-632B-465A-A0AE-452134A02C19.jpeg
    6067AE79-632B-465A-A0AE-452134A02C19.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 44
  • E0284131-BE07-4AEB-A395-626AB10D11FB.jpeg
    E0284131-BE07-4AEB-A395-626AB10D11FB.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 797351CD-34B8-424C-92F2-4B3A392B4C86.jpeg
    797351CD-34B8-424C-92F2-4B3A392B4C86.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1F7CFF37-B703-4EAE-A3D5-1BFA19BF3C20.jpeg
    1F7CFF37-B703-4EAE-A3D5-1BFA19BF3C20.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the latest from me. I’ve switched over to the CBN wheels for my grinding and I think I’m happy. I use Diamondwheel’s 4 3/4” diameter 3/16” for round grind and gullet/raker removal and I sprung for one of Cowlitz River Rigging’s CBN Square grind wheels. At $300 it was a bit of a risk considering I had no idea what angles were set up in the wheel. It’s also an electroplated wheel so the abrasive is only skin deep. I was reassured it would be good for “hundreds of chains” and could be plated again for half the original cost.

When talking with the fellow at Cowlitz I was told the wheel would only work on the Simington swing arm, not on a Silvey RSII. After using it on the Simington I think the Silvey certainly could be set up to use it.

I went from one extreme to the other when trying to find a suitable grind and found the best (so far) by moving the chain in as far as possible and lowering the chain holder as low as you can go.
IMG_5629.jpeg
Here are the results on a 3/8 .063. I was able to get this with very little material removal. It went very fast. There were a few cutters where the side plate didn’t fully develop and a few where I just nicked the chassis. I was having trouble getting the chain to lie flat in the holder (new .063) and I think that contributed to those exceptions. IMG_5627.jpeg
The wheel is 6 3/4” in diameter and is steel (heavy). There is NO dust and no dressing the wheel. That contributes to the speed of the operation. I back my grinder up to my gunsafe and the iron filings bounce off the door and fall to the floor where I can vacuum them up.
It’s great. The absence of the dust and no dressing is what I’m happiest with. The grinding is at least as good as with a stone wheel and maybe could be better with more experience .
IMG_5628.jpeg
I’m very happy with all this. I will probably move it over to the Silvey and give it a try. I’ll measure the distance from the chain holder to the bottom of the wheel and lower the slide on the Silvey to match. It should run fine.
Edit: I was so pleased with the outcome I forgot to mention a big CON concerning the Cowlitz wheel. It didn’t fit my 1” arbor. It should have, it’s advertised as having a 1” hole. It came in at .980 as best as I could measure. Wasn’t too big a deal for me as I have access to a lathe, and was able to get it just right. But for someone who does not and paid $300, I recon it’d be a big deal. I called Cowlitz and was told they were aware and were working to get it fixed with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the latest from me. I’ve switched over to the CBN wheels for my grinding and I think I’m happy. I use Diamondwheel’s 4 3/4” diameter 3/16” for round grind and gullet/raker removal and I sprung for one of Cowlitz River Rigging’s CBN Square grind wheels. At $300 it was a bit of a risk considering I had no idea what angles were set up in the wheel. It’s also an electroplated wheel so the abrasive is only skin deep. I was reassured it would be good for “hundreds of chains” and could be plated again for half the original cost.

When talking with the fellow at Cowlitz I was told the wheel would only work on the Simington swing arm, not on a Silvey RSII. After using it on the Simington I think the Silvey certainly could be set up to use it.

I went from one extreme to the other when trying to find a suitable grind and found the best (so far) by moving the chain in as far as possible and lowering the chain holder as low as you can go.
View attachment 404605
Here are the results on a 3/8 .063. I was able to get this with very little material removal. It went very fast. There were a few cutters where the side plate didn’t fully develop and a few where I just nicked the chassis. I was having trouble getting the chain to lie flat in the holder (new .063) and I think that contributed to those exceptions. View attachment 404607
The wheel is 6 3/4” in diameter and is steel (heavy). There is NO dust and no dressing the wheel. That contributes to the speed of the operation. I back my grinder up to my gunsafe and the iron filings bounce off the door and fall to the floor where I can vacuum them up.
It’s great. The absence of the dust and no dressing is what I’m happiest with. The grinding is at least as good as with a stone wheel and maybe could be better with more experience .
View attachment 404608
I’m very happy with all this. I will probably move it over to the Silvey and give it a try. I’ll measure the distance from the chain holder to the bottom of the wheel and lower the slide on the Silvey to match. It should run fine.
Keeper going,👍

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess mine was the 3rd but who knows.
That's what I'd guess, it looks 👍.
i think mine was the top one i never worry about the intersecting of the corners
Really, not a stihl chain lol.
Corners(inside) matching all depends on the brand/style of chain and how aggressive you're making it in my experience.
I would have guessed yours was the bottom and you left the raker high for him to set as needed.

Can you pick out which one was @Armbru84 ?

One was @dall but the tag came off so not sure which any more.

One is ATOP.

One was Ben.
Top I'd guess was the ATOP.
Which one worked best for you.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Corners(inside) matching all depends on the brand/style of chain and how aggressive you're making it in my experience.
I would have guessed yours was the bottom and you left the raker high for him to set as needed.

i run alot of oregon chain
i ordered a roll of stihl chain back 3 years ago and never got it

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fricken stihl 😜.
That really does suck though.
I like the x-cut chain, maybe that's too far right for you though lol.
you must buy chain and when dull throw it away if it has to be something special

because once you touch a cutter with a file or grinder the name or style means nothing

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
x cut is what oregon rebranded style ?
No, it's new husky chain, good stuff.
Very fast cutting out of the box and it's quite hard so it holds up great initially and when converted to square.
you must buy chain and when dull throw it away if it has to be something special
No, not me, I'm pretty frugal. That's why I have all the grinders and scads of files and gizmos, that's how you save a buck lol.
because once you touch a cutter with a file or grinder the name or style means nothing
I 100% disagree with this statement.
Shoot me your address and I'll send you some nice vanguard chains :lol:.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, it's new husky chain, good stuff.
Very fast cutting out of the box and it's quite hard so it holds up great initially and when converted to square.

No, not me, I'm pretty frugal. That's why I have all the grinders and scads of files and gizmos, that's how you save a buck lol.

I 100% disagree with this statement.
Shoot me your address and I'll send you some nice vanguard chains :lol:.
im all good thanks anyway

i still dont think husky has their own chain dept same way i dont think stihl does either

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Atop was fast but not smooth, a little aggressive, probably human error.

Dall’s worked well on my XS 346

Ben’s I don’t remember

I have two Cole chains a 20” play, almost comp and 24” kinda play…I think it was the fastest 24” but it’s been a long time. There are vids of them on my XS 2166 in pine on my YT. Everyone that has seen those vids was impressed. Green pondo

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not going to do a multi quote!

Chain brand & model does matter!
Archer & TriLink ground the same way as Stihl, Oregon/Dolmar, Carlton, Husqvarna doesn't cut nearly as well as the later!!!

Vanguard is great chain, I got several loops from the US and even purchased some intentionally!
Wore down a couple.
One of the best chains I ever encountered.

For me X-Cut is better than Stihl RS!

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Round ground Vanguard loop on my PS-6100 MMWS in Turkey Oak, not factory stock/ground, true 20"/72DL B&C

Last edited: