High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Dogging in vs self feeding - Tooth length too! The truth of it.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like there's lots of love for .404 chipper. :periodico:
Only when necessary, it vibrates like crazy and steals horsepower like a fat kid in a candy store.
It does cut well in dirty wood and doesn't require as much maintenance.
Alot of old gear drives had 1/2" chipper.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not claiming to be an expert, when filing 3/8" "termite tree chain" I lift the round file up another 10-20% above the top of the cutter (so from around 20% to around 35%, depending) so the cutter face is less hooked and much flatter, and may also reduce the angle from 30° to 25°. It will take 2/3 to twice as long to complete a cut on the first two cuts, though since it doesn't dull quickly in termite trees it will be as fast as standard semi-chisel on the third cut (or thereabouts) and then outpace the semi-chisel. Instead of 5 standard cuts (30" tree, 18" bar, 5 sections cut) I can get 25+ cuts out of the "termite tree chain" and the chain isn't damaged, just dull when it dulls out.

Granted, since then the good folks here suggested I use a hard-nose bar and loose .404 chipper chain with full open oiler setting, and that's "the bomb" for lots of rotty stuff.
I switched to 25° and never turned back.
What a revelation in cutter endurance with little to no loss of cutting speed.
Talking 3/8" in Turkey Oak/hardwood

I have a couple short loops of that stuff! :)

Yeah, it's a power hog and slow.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing that makes the most difference seams to be the thing that gets the least attention.

The wee little do dads infront of the cutters.

Why is it that average Jeffrey Leroy can cut half his life and never heard of playing with them. They can make or break a day cutting and yet are still a dark art with Joe homeowner. Angles can be all over the show to a point and can cut fairly well if them little whatsit's are OK ish.

The other extreme is watching a guy lower his with a cordless grinder lol

A long bar in good wood they gotta be pretty close to where ya like em

Doing some tree removals at the workshop for the boss some of my work mates were shocked at a rowdy 272 with a mean chain. They think that is a big saw too🤣
Yeah but most are stuck with only two settings soft or hard using a progressive raker gauge.. or even just one setting with some gauges.

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah but most are stuck with only two settings soft or hard using a progressive raker gauge.. or even just one setting with some gauges.

Yeah I tend to use it more as a reset/even em up tool and learn it's needs from there. In gum trees on the 32 the hard setting is OK but in pine or macro the soft is a tad aggressive at that length. Set it at hard then a couple strokes from there n see how it goes. A million variables.

I have considered making some up at different heights

Do you guys have many macrocarpas around?

The yanks know it as monterrey cypress.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I tend to use it more as a reset/even em up tool and learn it's needs from there. In gum trees on the 32 the hard setting is OK but in pine or macro the soft is a tad aggressive at that length. Set it at hard then a couple strokes from there n see how it goes. A million variables.

I have considered making some up at different heights

Do you guys have many macrocarpas around?

The yanks know it as monterrey cypress.
Yeah same tune rakers for the job at hand based on feedback from saw and chain as you say variables are many.

Never heard of Macrorocarpas only native pines I've had experience with here is Hoop pine and Cypress pine.
Have cut introduced Radiata pine and Slash pine dirty sap oozing crap lol

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And the hard setting in .404 on Stihl is still too aggressive for the powerhead to pull haha. I’m going to modify my .404 progressive gauge so it takes less off the depth gauge and see how it goes!