sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't be so negative Ryan. Lol

How the fukk is that negative ?, I look at those things as being realistic.

I know it works for certain guys in certain applications, but the scenarios guys try to play out on these forums are borderline retarded.

"Production" does not apply to a guy that cuts firewood recreationally..like I said...to each is own...not to mention a well filed round chain cuts faster than off the roll square anyway, if that matters to you..

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In case someone cries foul because the wood is square...
3.5 last cut

I got 3 seconds flat on the last cut

So yeah, .5 seconds in a small piece of bone dry oak. I get it, no big deal. In my experience as a firewood hack, square is more durable. It holds an edge longer than the round I used for years, same cutting conditions. I give zero focks if someone doesn't like it. It's a free country (mostly), so do whatever works for you.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How the fukk is that negative ?, I look at those things as being realistic.

I know it works for certain guys in certain applications, but the scenarios guys try to play out on these forums is borderline retarded.

"Production" does not apply to a guy that cuts firewood recreationally..like I said...to each is own...not to mention a well filed round chain cuts faster than off the roll square anyway, if that matters to you..
It's all in your verbiage Ryan. But no worries.
I am not a PROFESSIONAL like you Ryan just a firewood hacker who has cut wood for over 40 years.
No probs. Carry on.

Furthermore, I was just funnin ya!!!

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all in your verbiage Ryan. But no worries.
I am not a PROFESSIONAL like you Ryan just a firewood hacker who has cut wood for over 40 years.
No probs. Carry on.

Furthermore, I was just funnin ya!!!

I'll say this much about square chisel chain, I definately like how smooth it is, I always try different things with the raker and cutter on round to duplicate it and I haven't figured it out yet...its just too expensive for me and for the most part I get round files for free.

If I ever get into saw racing and videos I'm sure I'll be down with square.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually just do square filing for fun. Just for the challenge. I suck at it. I cut with round filed chain just fine. Round is much easier for me to sharpen.
I like the smoothness of square file chain too.
We need @John Reilly to give us some square filing 102 snd 103 lessons.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually just do square filing for fun. Just for the challenge. I suck at it. I cut with round filed chain just fine. Round is much easier for me to sharpen.
I like the smoothness of square file chain too.
We need @John Reilly to give us some square filing 102 snd 103 lessons.

I'm average at it on a good day and probably for the most part suck at square filing.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a thought but I wonder how long it takes to hand file a chain square file and how long round file? That 0.5 second faster multiplied by the DL might not add up to a savings in the end.
Not here. If you learn it, filing is basically the same. A few swipes and you're off sawing.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep Dustin, once you get the angle of the file learned, it's just a push or two across the cutter, just like round.

More expensive chain, file and grinder plus most guys can't sharpen it in the field. All to save .5 seconds per cut! I cut for production all winter and run full chisel round. It's easy, simple and readily available.
Gains were over a second per cut in the first vids, in small wet poplar cant. So imagine a 30+" round log. What I can't show in a video is how much smoother square cuts. It's like going from a 2 series Husky to a 5 series (antivibe wise).