Country flag

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So then the shelf is the step on top of the gullet and the gullet is the material itself that is under the shelf.
So then also if you completely remove or 'clean out' the gullet, there is no longer a gullet at all. It's gone, no gullet.
I can live with that...

A very misused, abused and misunderstood term, gullet is...

Is there a term for the empty area in front of the cutter in the absence of said gullet?
Gulletless cutter?

Is 'beak' the correct term for the point or points at the end of the shelf?
I ask because it's also used for the overhang of the top edge at the point of the cutter when the corner gets too low and deep.
<Edit>Never mind, just read up on 'side beaks' and 'top beaks'...

In my last post I was looking at the gullet as a space or area and if completely cleaned/cleared out it was still there, just empty. Now that I know it's the actual protruding material, saying that you're 'leaving a long gullet' becomes self explanatory. Thanks.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So then the shelf is the step on top of the gullet and the gullet is the material itself that is under the shelf.
So then also if you completely remove or 'clean out' the gullet, there is no longer a gullet at all. It's gone, no gullet.
I can live with that...

A very misused, abused and misunderstood term, gullet is...

Is there a term for the empty area in front of the cutter in the absence of said gullet?
Gulletless cutter?

Is 'beak' the correct term for the point or points at the end of the shelf?
I ask because it's also used for the overhang of the top edge at the point of the cutter when the corner gets too low and deep.

In my last post I was looking at the gullet as a space or area and if completely cleaned/cleared out it was still there, just empty. Now that I know it's the actual protruding material, saying that you're 'leaving a long gullet' becomes self explanatory. Thanks.

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_beaks.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cutter has had the shelf removed to make the gullet deep and clean. A small beak was left for performance purposes.

An hour ago that's how I looked at it too but according to Madsens, that has no gullet...

And that's a side beak, which I formerly referred to as a top beak.
I used to call a side beak the point on the top of the gullet at the end of the shelf.
I don't think I even had an actual term for top beaks as I now know them....

Last edited:

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Notice they omitted the fastest bucking chain... the only one that matters really.

Yep, this is the article I was looking for with a search when the race chain tips & tricks article popped up. I was wanting to see the #1 bucking chain like CJ mentioned, but they never showed it. Kind of makes no sense in the context of the competition.

The competition was the best in all 3 categories. It not placing in the top 6 overall or in the top 4 of the other two tests is interesting. Would be great to see them all.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bill, my understanding is those are top beaks, which a slight amount does not detract (or may help) performance, but a side beak, when you file the corner too high, destroys performance.

That there is race chain Jim, with the rivets filed and everything!

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bill, my understanding is those are top beaks, which a slight amount does not detract (or may help) performance, but a side beak, when you file the corner too high, destroys performance.

That there is race chain Jim, with the rivets filed and everything!

A side can hurt performance especially on a work chain when the beak or corner gets turned down you lose the cutting edge which in turn means a dull chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apparently a side beak is when the side is ground back too far and a top beak is when the top plate is ground back too far.
Seems ass backwards but it is what it is...

Mike, I think you know what you mean and are correct in that regard but like me, your terminology is skewed.