High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chain grinding and filing thread

bottlefed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess an easy way to explain it without a picture would be that on a top beak you can see the beak looking straight down on the top of the chain. And conversely a side beak can be seen from the side of the chain.

Totally counter intuitive to me as when one says top beak, I would naturally assume it means that the beak is on the top of the chain.....whereas it is actually on the side....stupid terminology if you ask me.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A strong cutter will get more work done than a sharper one ,beaks are ok for racing i guess.
Yup..
I like perfect corners..
If there were such a thing. Lol

Every time I think I have created the perfect intersecting line, I look at it from a different angle, and it shows me different..

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every time I think I have created the perfect intersecting line, I look at it from a different angle, and it shows me different..
The camera gets me every time. I think I have a pretty good cutter then I zoom in and take the pic which shows me I wasn't as good as I thought.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup..
I like perfect corners..
If there were such a thing. Lol

Might try a little grease in your cutter then stick the wheel into the tooth, myself I’ll fog up the tooth to find the corner easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hand filed some chain. Just missed the corner a slight bit. Still cut well though.
9b206d8cdfcee6aef8335cc545aa7919.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still cut well though Mike. I will try and touch it up with a chisel bit file and cut again. See which works better.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wearing reading glasses when sharpening helps see the corners ,there is always the force Luke also ,once you are one with the file or the grinder wheel you can feel when you have the corners without even looking at the chain. Thats what the grinder stops are for ,use them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find the rectangular style (on the right) easier to use correctly, and I believe Brian prefers them also.

That said, your tooth looks nice Grazer!

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A man named Bob Walker in Canada i heard say to sharpen the chain for the powerhead it is being used for ,took me a bit to understand but if use less hook and top plate and high rakes my stock 026 ,will pull a 28 inch bar without bogging and using the dogs,it it not the fastest through the log but the chain was tuned for the powerhead it was on

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of variables though Brian.