Dirty Wood

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut cable skidded logs almost always. Technique was mentioned but never really explained well.

I plunge cut almost every round using 404 semi chisel and a HARDNOSED bar as it bores much easier than a roller tip. Start at about 2 O clok position just below the top of the log, plunge until the tip is very near the far side, cut all the way to the bottom, then push the tip through and throw all the dirt away from the power head cutting the top last. The added benefit is you will never pinch the bar on a big log either since it is still attached at the top.

Too bad this guys is just demonstrating on pecker poles.

Typical log landing wood.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 9

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have an XS saw with xtra horsetorques, you can plunge in at 2 o'clock thru to 8 o'clock and then rotate the powerhead down, spitting chips and dirt off the top and bottom of the bar at the same time. :-D

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reading this with interest, as I have some small stumps in the yard that get in the way of mowing that I need to remove. Cutting them down to ground level is going to be as hard on the chain as digging down and cutting the roots.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reading this with interest, as I have some small stumps in the yard that get in the way of mowing that I need to remove. Cutting them down to ground level is going to be as hard on the chain as digging down and cutting the roots.
If you don’t have to hurry, clear the dirt away with a shovel and spray them off with a hose.