Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr. Chain Guru @Philbert , You like my chains?
If they cut, they cut!

Lots of ideas for muddy logs: even brushing off dirt before cutting.

Peeling bark off green trees.

Maybe even a bristle brush on an angle grinder?

OPā€™s suggestion seems to work for him. Perhaps, with a large number of cuts, you dedicate one saw/chain to cut through the muddy bark, and another to cut the cleaner wood?

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone noticed oregon semi chisel being prone to cut crooked? Dry dirty euc.
Oregon makes semi chisel?
Huh! :thinking:

I have Dolmar branded semi chisel, Oregon makes it. šŸ˜‹
You are doing something wrong during sharpening!

Or, Your chains DL's are bottoming out in the bars groove!
Worth checking.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of ideas for muddy logs: even brushing off dirt before cutting.

OPā€™s suggestion seems to work for him. Perhaps, with a large number of cuts, you dedicate one saw/chain to cut through the muddy bark, and another to cut the cleaner wood?

Philbert
Yes absolutely. There are a lot of ways to go about this. In my example, Iā€™m just showing that it can be done efficiently with a little forethought.

This is how I make my living, so Iā€™m certainly looking for the fastest, most efficient way to get it done. Swapping chains takes time. Sharpening chains takes time, and uses up chain life. Iā€™m certainly not going to peel bark, walk all the logs and scrub them with a brush, etc. But those methods absolutely work to get the debris off the logs.

How else do you guys go about cutting dirty wood?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old bar, did you re-dress bar when installing new chain?
I checked it. Swapped back to skip full chis and it cut fine. I had hit debris and touched it up with a file freehand. I had to either go through and do all the cutters and rakers with a husky roller guide and measure to length or my stihl USG grinder. Never had so much trouble with tiny imperfections or inconsistencies having such a dramatic effect.

@Wilhelm Oregon Duracut aka multi cut

Inferior to stihl RM

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked it. Swapped back to skip full chis and it cut fine. I had hit debris and touched it up with a file freehand. I had to either go through and do all the cutters and rakers with a husky roller guide and measure to length or my stihl USG grinder. Never had so much trouble with tiny imperfections or inconsistencies having such a dramatic effect.

@Wilhelm Oregon Duracut aka multi cut

Inferior to stihl RM
I bought some of the triple chrome plated Oregon semi-chisel 2 years ago to try in dirty conditions and I really dislike using it. Iā€™ve tried different sharpening angles and depth gauge heights, and I just can not get it to perform. I just tried it again the other day on a couple logs and the only way it would cut was dogged in - and thatā€™s in green Red Oak!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... Oregon Duracut aka multi cut

Inferior to stihl RM
IMHO, the fancier the products name the worse its performance!

I haven't purchased Oregon chains in over a decade, so my experience may relate to old stock.

Just suck it up and try Husqvarna X-Cut, if You haven't already.
It is superior to Oregon LGX/LPX.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought some of the triple chrome plated Oregon semi-chisel 2 years ago to try in dirty conditions and I really dislike using it. Iā€™ve tried different sharpening angles and depth gauge heights, and I just can not get it to perform. I just tried it again the other day on a couple logs and the only way it would cut was dogged in - and thatā€™s in green Red Oak!
I feel better now. Only way I could get it to cut well was to put so much hook in it that it was delicate despite the ā€œtriple chromeā€. I have a theory from looking at Oregon and stihl chain. 10Ā° down on the file puts the working corner up where it should be vs. down on the side how Oregon is. Unfortunately my USG has offset but not tilt.

IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7831.jpeg

@huskihl also pointed out the stihl RM is less rounded. Itā€™s interesting how different cutter geometry translates to different shapes/angles even when ground at the same settings on my USG.

My plan for these chains is to put a durable grind on them, drop the rakers, and let the 3120, the Euc, and the CBN wheel Kill them.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel better now. Only way I could get it to cut well was to put so much hook in it that it was delicate despite the ā€œtriple chromeā€. I have a theory from looking at Oregon and stihl chain. 10Ā° down on the file puts the working corner up where it should be vs. down on the side how Oregon is. Unfortunately my USG has offset but not tilt.

View attachment 401137
View attachment 401138

@huskihl also pointed out the stihl RM is less rounded. Itā€™s interesting how different cutter geometry translates to different shapes/angles even when ground at the same settings on my USG.

My plan for these chains is to put a durable grind on them, drop the rakers, and let the 3120, the Euc, and the CBN wheel Kill them.
I did the same, more aggressive hook ,

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
* I'm not one of those that think safety chain cuts significantly slower than std...but I DO hate how it gets in the way of my progressive raker guides.
Use a digital angle gauge on a small piece of flat steel (1x4 or longer).

I get that the progressive works great, I use it.

But for race chain or ā€œothersā€ that the progressive doesnā€™t work on, itā€™s pretty easy and quick, super accurate too

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 401137
View attachment 401138

I did the same, more aggressive hook ,
Iā€™ll have to try even more hook and see what happens.