CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info guys. It gives me a good starting point to attempt my first band cut. I assume if I cut a couple thousandths into the cylinder wall that is better than leaving a slight ridge at the edge of the band? Assuming the top ring will be below the cut. I aim for perfection but am far from perfect.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info guys. It gives me a good starting point to attempt my first band cut. I assume if I cut a couple thousandths into the cylinder wall that is better than leaving a slight ridge at the edge of the band? Assuming the top ring will be below the cut. I aim for perfection but am far from perfect.
That would be correct. Don’t start with a cylinder that has a plated band. 562 is probably the worst other than a meteor or hiway.

Once you get the cylinder true, I bring my boring bar up to the edge of the plating out near the base so it’s easy to see. Set it at zero, move the bar away from the plating one full turn and then go up and zero your other slide at the squish band. Back away from the squish band 1MM or so, then re-zero your boring bar to the plating. The plating will squeal when you touch it lightly to let you know you are there.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dug into my MS660 last night, she's a bit rough. I knew it had busted case and a cracked clutch cover, but she had a few other hidden scars. The piston crack I almost didn't notice, she had plenty of compression and traces of the original machine marks so I thought it was in good shape until I noticed a hair that wasn't wiping off was a hairline crack. The exhaust flange was pretty hammered from running it with no gasket, but I think I got it flat enough. Inside the jug the plating above the exhaust port looked like it had peeled off for 1/32", but there weren't any signs of it meeting the piston. So, I did a "port job" and raised the exhaust till it got up next to the plating, then I beveled it and (hopefully) got rid of all the edges a ring might catch.IMG_2720.jpeg

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I snagged this yesterday. Story was it needed a carb and I thought that was a stretch knowing how new these are to the market. Turns out the spark plug threads are stripped. Can anyone help with the Helicoil kit I need for the NGK CMR6H size spark plug? I tried to figure it out on the NGK website and the rest of the internets, but I’ve never owned a saw with this little thread plug. Thanks fellas!

dc4f5e3175be3a6fdb50eeda1522fafb.jpg

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I snagged this yesterday. Story was it needed a carb and I thought that was a stretch knowing how new these are to the market. Turns out the spark plug threads are stripped. Can anyone help with the Helicoil kit I need for the NGK CMR6H size spark plug? I tried to figure it out on the NGK website and the rest of the internets, but I’ve never owned a saw with this little thread plug. Thanks fellas!

I take it that saw uses the 10mm plug threads? If so, it might be worth having the hole redrilled & tapped for 14mm.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I take it that saw uses the 10mm plug threads? If so, it might be worth having the hole redrilled & tapped for 14mm.
@srcarr52

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe the thread engagement on 10MM plugs is longer. So the 14MM plug wouldn’t protrude into the combustion chamber. Regardless, I don’t think a helicoil is going to last. I would send it to Shaun Carr and have it welded and re-tapped.

But I’d probably try and secure the plug in it the way it is and try getting it running first so you’re not throwing money into a saw that may have multiple other issues

Last edited:

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d probably try and secure the plug in it the way it is and try getting it running first so you’re not throwing money into a saw that may have multiple other issues
I wish that were an option. It’s like throwing a hotdog down a hallway it’s so stripped.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

10mmx1.0 helicoil works well. The threads are fine enough the OD of the coil is smaller than the sealing washer.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10mmx1.0 helicoil works well. The threads are fine enough the OD of the coil is smaller than the sealing washer.
Thanks man! I had to at least try a helicoil. Being fully aware they are not ideal for a chainsaw spark plug application all the time. If it doesn’t work I’ll just rebuild it and sell.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gettin back to a project started last fall. Pulled out of storage, now in my on deck spot for tinkerings/projects.
Last fall did a cleanup on it and did a road trip to acquire a muffler and pick up some first hand knowledge on this model.
Early next week I hope to be hearing it singing. My in town neighbors will appreciate me I bet!!!!

Attachments

• 20230228_161332.jpg
    20230228_161332.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230228_161351.jpg
    20230228_161351.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230228_161445.jpg
    20230228_161445.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 9