Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve I recommend coming on down I65 south a little to the Cave City area. Mammoth Cave National Park has miles and miles of hiking trails, opportunities for kayaking on green river and you can also mountain bike some of the trails. This on top of the cave tours of course. And in the surrounding area there are some good places to eat. A few golf courses. Some antique shops, some gimmicky souvenir shops, a few shops that sell local stuff.
Plenty of reservoirs in the area too.
Just depends on what you guys are in to.
A few more miles down the road in Bowling green is the National Corvette museum.
But October (specifically mid-late October) is the best time to be outside here in the bluegrass. Usually the temps are nice and the leaves are changing.

Sweet! I'll check those areas out!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea what part of Missouri you are coming from. If you are in the southern region such as Springfield area then you will go right through Harford Kentucky. I would stop at Ohio County Farm and Home and talk with Nic Kavanaugh. He collected a large amount of hard to find Stihl saws. He got the second to last new in the box Stihl Contra that was among the 5 found in SC/SE Iowa. I have heard Nic sold some of his saws but I cannot confirm it.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea what part of Missouri you are coming from. If you are in the southern region such as Springfield area then you will go right through Harford Kentucky. I would stop at Ohio County Farm and Home and talk with Nic Kavanaugh. He collected a large amount of hard to find Stihl saws. He got the second to last new in the box Stihl Contra that was among the 5 found in SC/SE Iowa. I have heard Nic sold some of his saws but I cannot confirm it.

You know exactly where I live Bill! I told you in a PM last week! Lol!!

I'll be taking I-64 the entire way.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know exactly where I live Bill! I told you in a PM last week! Lol!!

I'll be taking I-64 the entire way.
Chit I am lucky to remember what day it is some times. I keep a open word doc on my computer of appointments and events so I do not forget them and I still do sometimes. I looked where you were and if you go up to St Louis and come across 64 Hartford would be a bit of the path. I cannot believe you do not have a Mississippi bridge closer and have to go up to St. Louis. Where is the next bridge south? If I lived there I would go south and through the Shawnee then up to Hartford and Louisville

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha! I know the feeling. Sometimes I freak out on the way to work thinking I forgot my pants!

Closest bridge to the south is Chester, IL.

20190714_113503_HDR.jpg

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carter's Cave is another nice state park Steve. It's in Olive Hill, Ky, about 2 hrs east of Louisville. Congrats an your anniversary and enjoy you time together. Ours is coming up October 13th 34yrs.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha! I know the feeling. Sometimes I freak out on the way to work thinking I forgot my pants!

Closest bridge to the south is Chester, IL.

View attachment 429979
If you go down that way you will skate across the Shawnee and up through Harford on to Louisville. I used to hate going to Louisville because of the long boring drive. It was about a 8 hour drive each way. The majority was the boring 1-74 run to Indy. The south run from Indy to Louisville was a bit better. The real tough one was the 13hr run to Loveland Colorado. Let me tell you crossing Iowa and Nebraska on I-80 is like watching paint dry, only worse.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carter's Cave is another nice state park Steve. It's in Olive Hill, Ky, about 2 hrs east of Louisville. Congrats an your anniversary and enjoy you time together. Ours is coming up October 13th 34yrs.

Congratulations on your 34th Tim!! We are lightweights at 16years on October 3rd!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go down that way you will skate across the Shawnee and up through Harford on to Louisville. I used to hate going to Louisville because of the long boring drive. It was about a 8 hour drive each way. The majority was the boring 1-74 run to Indy. The south run from Indy to Louisville was a bit better. The real tough one was the 13hr run to Loveland Colorado. Let me tell you crossing Iowa and Nebraska on I-80 is like watching paint dry, only worse.

I was just on I-80 in Iowa last Saturday. It was only for a few miles though through De Moines. Worst drive for boring I've done was Kansas City to Wichita.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just on I-80 in Iowa last Saturday. It was only for a few miles though through De Moines. Worst drive for boring I've done was Kansas City to Wichita.
I live very close to I-80 and I absolutely hate driving it mostly because of the idiots that are horrible at driving. I have driven I-80 all the way to California and I think the most boring section is just west of Salt Lake City through the salt flats. It's about 45 minutes of dead straight highway with no hills bumps or curves and absolutely nothing to look at.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As "big cities" go Des Moines is not bad. I have been to St. Louis...................

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live very close to I-80 and I absolutely hate driving it mostly because of the idiots that are horrible at driving. I have driven I-80 all the way to California and I think the most boring section is just west of Salt Lake City through the salt flats. It's about 45 minutes of dead straight highway with no hills bumps or curves and absolutely nothing to look at.
If you are in the CR area then you are coming down 380 to 80. My son says they are making it 3 lanes now. If so you enter 80 at #239. Now if you have been there awhile you remember heading west to Des Moines the only food was at #220. From there it was #142 at Altoona. I know after the track at Newton was added they put some places there. The 100 mile stretch from #242 to #142 was hammer down.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Indiana side has lots of fun things to do and isn't as scary. If you are into trains, there are many places to watch them cross the Ohio and two really good railway museums in Bardstown and Versailles. Lagrange is a really nice little town one county over.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So have you got some plans made yet.