What oil is best? and what ratio?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill disagree. Not all junk oil will do that good of a job. Done seen too many with stuck rings, clogged filters, plugged exhaust ports, etc
Clogged fuel filters? from oil? must be some nasty oil.. Most of what you said is from to cold (fat) a tune like all engines chainsaws need to get up to its designed correct operating temperature a fat tune is a cold tune does more harm than good without the workload to justify this cautious approach in tuning, to tune a ported work saw fat to hold it back is a over ported work saw IMHO.

Last edited:

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Keith i'm the first to admit i'm far from an oil expert, but who here is? Really there isn't a right or wrong answer to what oil or ratio to use, it all opinion, speculation, preference, etc.

I will say IMO yes as long as my saw starts and runs who cares what it looks like inside. Others have a different opinion which is fine, and it doesn't mean either is wrong. This thread will go on for infinity and nothing will change, everyones opinion on what is best, clean, dirty, smelly, whatever is different. It is what it is.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran the orange bottle of Stihl oil for 20 years no problems at all.
Had two saws, joined two chainsaw forms. Now I have over 10 saws.
Not sure what oil to use,but I'm not scared of none of this.
I have two bottles of red armor that is not in picture. Need to use some of this up before I buy more, that's hard to do. I'm just a firewood hack. With all this warm weather not burning much wood either. Running everything 40-1 now, no longer 50-1. The more you learn the harder it is sometimes. LOL This is fun, CAD IS A BAD THING.
IMG_1277.JPG

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keith i'm the first to admit i'm far from an oil expert, but who here is? Really there isn't a right or wrong answer to what oil or ratio to use, it all opinion, speculation, preference, etc.

I will say IMO yes as long as my saw starts and runs who cares what it looks like inside. Others have a different opinion which is fine, and it doesn't mean either is wrong. This thread will go on for infinity and nothing will change, everyones opinion on what is best, clean, dirty, smelly, whatever is different. It is what it is.
I agree BUT I want my saw to last as long as they can as I dont buy a new saw every year or two. Do I think some oils will prolong longivity better than others? Yes 100%

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When u tear saws, trimmers, blowers down daily and see what cheap oil does that will merit more credit to me than someone who runs a saw and never sees the insides or cares. Some oils burn cleaner, lubricate better, protect better, etc. Its that simple! Not all oils r equal

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When u tear saws, trimmers, blowers down daily and see what cheap oil does that will merit more credit to me than someone who runs a saw and never sees the insides or cares. Some oils burn cleaner, lubricate better, protect better, etc. Its that simple! Not all oils r equal

Ok.....if my saw lasts 5 years on my oil and has 1k hours and yours lasts 20 and has 1k hours but yours is cleaner inside, who wins?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree BUT I want my saw to last as long as they can as I dont buy a new saw every year or two. Do I think some oils will prolong longivity better than others? Yes 100%

Ya but the thing is keith is your saw will decompose before one oil makes a difference over the other , you arent gonna work them hard enough for it to matter..no offense bruh.