What oil is best? and what ratio?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
4:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see most the problems with saws that have barley been ran. The guys that run gallons through them have less problems. Even when when it's a home owner model Stihl.
I think low rpm, bad tune, and low operating temperature contributes alot to the carbon buildup

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Someone mentioned not running fuel additives/stabilizers in their non ethanol fuel mix a couple of days ago. I have to agree since I've quit using seafoam, I've had no carb issues as I had before.
i only use seafoam in my 2 cycle mowers they run dirty no matter what kind of oil or gas used in them.
they stay clean at 1 oz per 2 gallon and no more cleaning the exhaust port.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
3 years on supertech outboard mixed with seafoam and cheap farmers CO OP gas mixed at 32:1
torn down for routine inspection all rings and bearings where still in spec very clean with the seafoam.
d600.jpg

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 years on supertech outboard mixed with seafoam and cheap farmers CO OP gas mixed at 32:1
torn down for routine inspection all rings and bearings where still in spec very clean with the seafoam.
View attachment 56421
Your not suppose to tear it down to check it!! Run it til it locks up??!! Cmon man

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When u tear saws, trimmers, blowers down daily and see what cheap oil does that will merit more credit to me than someone who runs a saw and never sees the insides or cares. Some oils burn cleaner, lubricate better, protect better, etc. Its that simple! Not all oils r equal

I've been inside a lot of 2ts not just saw's and we all know Not all oils are equal hell a lot of bike oils leave a hell of a mess in a saw as good as they are for there designed purpose and all just not in saws a lot of them.. And no one is saying whatever oil you run does not work most oil works as oil doing oil stuff, I don't think anyone really cares what people run as for as oil or mix I sure don't.
If you add up all the hrs over 20+ years or so our work saw's have done with no oil failures or carban or gummed up rings in saw's with thousands of hrs and no excessive wear and tear on moving parts but that means nothing as I don't fix badly tuned homeowner saw's weed eaters and blowers daily ok I'm all ears what am I doing wrong apart from running cheap nasty mineral oil? lol..
Besides I've not read anyone pushing any mineral oil few say yeah it works and does its job. Only pushing going on is for the you beaut good expensive oil if we don't run it our saw's will gum up or something no one seems to care about atul failures anymore? my rings aint gummy what am I doing wrong lol..

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I blend Lucas and 927 for my weed eater and power blower cause I like the smell. Something has to be satisfactory about it. I hate those two pieces of equipment.
Any problems with the spark arrestor screen plugging on the blower? The Stihl handheld units r horrible to gum and harden carbon on the screw in arrestor and even more so if running Stihl Ultra

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been inside a lot of 2ts not just saw's and we all know Not all oils are equal hell a lot of bike oils leave a hell of a mess in a saw as good as they are for there designed purpose and all just not in saws a lot of them.. And no one is saying whatever oil you run does not work most oil works as oil doing oil stuff, I don't think anyone really cares what people run as for as oil or mix I sure don't.
If you add up all the hrs over 20+ years or so our work saw's have done with no oil failures or carban or gummed up rings in saw's with thousands of hrs and no excessive wear and tear on moving parts but that means nothing as I don't fix badly tuned homeowner saw's weed eaters and blowers daily ok I'm all ears what am I doing wrong apart from running cheap nasty mineral oil? lol..
Besides I've not read anyone pushing any mineral oil few say yeah it works and does its job. Only pushing going on is for the you beaut good expensive oil if we don't run it our saw's will gum up or something no one seems to care about atul failures anymore? my rings aint gummy what am I doing wrong lol..
What oil r u running? U must tune correctly and use a decent oil or u r lucky as hell:D

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any problems with the spark arrestor screen plugging on the blower? The Stihl handheld units r horrible to gum and harden carbon on the screw in arrestor and even more so if running Stihl Ultra
It's because the screens are ridiculously small. I pulled it out quickly.

e7f209a32af100e92bc2f9f00c5936a3.jpg

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's because the screens are ridiculously small. I pulled it out quickly.

e7f209a32af100e92bc2f9f00c5936a3.jpg
I think alota of it is low rpm and engine isnt hot enough to burn the oil off and its half burned gummy mess in the ringlands and screens and dries to a hard carbon and causes problems

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago I had a 2t Ag bike and mixed up some fuel in a 5L steel degreaser tin yup you guessed it I picked up the wrong tin! lol.
I filled it up with degreaser it started an ran I rode it around for a few hrs but it was blowing heaps of smoke and getting less and less on power (of course I was thinking what's wrong with this thing) but it never seized later I pulled it down after I worked out what I did wrong picking up the wrong tin and yes it was a mess but it ran on degreaser! lol.
Only thing I could put it down to the degreaser must of had some lube to it? was like a kerosene type degreaser that you can rinse off with water.
True story and no I do not recommend degreaser as a 2t mix substitute after having real world testing on the matter lol.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be looking for Castrol mineral oil when I get home. Got some playing to do and need some of that to flush with. I'll run some in the other saws just to use it up.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then they dont tune correctly or run some kind of trash gas..i took an old ms 250 apart that ran our local eth free gas with stihl orange stuff for 3 years commercially with probably 6 different guy pullin on the throttle with a filthy air filter..the screens werent blocked and the cylinder walls looked fine with a little brown on the top of the piston..it would still be runnin if the tank handle wasnt smashed.
Id venture to say that 9 out of 10 people dont tune at all. They run whatever the shop set it at and some of thoso shops do a piss poor job. I paid 614$ today for a new HT250 polesaw and they took it in the back and serviced it. When I get home guess what? Damn thing wouldnt even think about running they had it so out of whack on the L and H!! 1st thing I did was pour that piss poor Stihl Ultra out they put in it and put some red oil in it. Point is most people dont tune and alota the shops do a pitiful job and bad tune with sorry oil is a bad deal.

Last edited: