Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
1:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is it effective time efficient?
i feel like it would be time consuming….
It is time consuming, but well worth it on suspected logs....the trouble is deciding which logs to suspect.....I often hit iron in places I wouldn't expect, such as one nail 10' + up the tree on "woods" trees, with no outward indicators.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I've posted this before, but the worst damage I ever did to a saw chain was by sawing into a 3/8" chain. The bad thing is that I was the one who put that piece of chain in the crotch of that willow tree 20 years prior. When I broke up the crotch and recovered the chain, I remembered losing it and having to cut myself another length of chain to pull engines with.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I've had my mill set up in my garage for a few weeks but haven't used it bc I need to get my sawmill shed built. I'm having trouble making up my mind on how to go about clear spanning 20' for the area I want to roll my logs into. I'm thinking about a 5.5"x12"x20' white oak beam or a prefabbed floor truss. Any input or pics of how you guys accomplished this?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I've had my mill set up in my garage for a few weeks but haven't used it bc I need to get my sawmill shed built. I'm having trouble making up my mind on how to go about clear spanning 20' for the area I want to roll my logs into. I'm thinking about a 5.5"x12"x20' white oak beam or a prefabbed floor truss. Any input or pics of how you guys accomplished this?
if you dont do the beam like i told you ill cut up the mill when you go out of town the next time

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just build a truss.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yep, build a truss....or if you have a big enough log cut a beam like you said, that size white oak would span that no problem..... assuming there are no gigantic knots in it.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just build a truss.

Yep, build a truss....or if you have a big enough log cut a beam like you said, that size white oak would span that no problem..... assuming there are no gigantic knots in it.
Because I'm dense and want to do this right the first time, by 'truss' you mean a single appropriately sized floor truss style to span the 20', correct?