NEPA Mill

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for someone with some live edge slabs near me. I'm located in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Area. Currently working on a project with my cousin who is a carpenter to build a bar for some close friends. There is one guy around us that did slabs, I reached out to him and he doesn't think he has anything in the dimensions, but he said he will check.

The bar is going to be a general "L" shape, and on the front of it we are looking for something around the 8' mark, and then 5' on the leg portion; trying to find hardwood at least 30" in diameter. If anyone has any experience and has already built one, if the dimensions seem off feel free to chime in.

Any help is appreciated, and I would always like to support someone smaller who just does it as a hobby than going to one of the larger rough cut mills in the area. Whether you use a granberg chainsaw mill or an actual bandsaw one, no preference seeing as we are going to be smoothing it out.

Appreciate any feedback, and please move this if it's in the wrong section. Thanks in advance!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you'd be up for a roadtrip: https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/store-welcome/
Not exactly your neighbor but they'd have what you are looking for.

I was just in Carbondale Wednesday for work. That was almost a 3 hour drive one way. How thick are you wanting? I've been sitting on some big ol' walnut slabs for about 10 years...

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well in the past I made some shelves out of ash that were about 1/2" thick after being planed down, I would like to find something at lease 1-3/4" thick. I don't think we'll be putting a drink rail on that, those can be in the 4" range. Walnut would probably be the most preferred wood, I wouldn't be opposed to meeting you half way, or even coming all the way down to the Gettysburg area. PM me if you have any photos, or wanna discuss further, appreciate the response!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well in the past I made some shelves out of ash that were about 1/2" thick after being planed down, I would like to find something at lease 1-3/4" thick. I don't think we'll be putting a drink rail on that, those can be in the 4" range. Walnut would probably be the most preferred wood, I wouldn't be opposed to meeting you half way, or even coming all the way down to the Gettysburg area. PM me if you have any photos, or wanna discuss further, appreciate the response!
Let me get some measurements and I'll send PM.