High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What are you building with your milled wood?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone is interested, I used Loctite PL Premium to glue it together and to fill some cracks. Stuff is slow drying but strong as anything, and takes a stain well. For stain, I used just one coat of Behr Semi Transparent.

Very satisfied with the way both products worked.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothin wasted, the legs are made from the side slabs cut in half, than 4" wide. The remaining wood (approx 2") is used to for bracing the legs together.

I never had opportunity to work with Black Oak before, I really like it! I don't think it is very common. Seems to be smoother and denser than Red Oak.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How can you tell difference? I think we only have red and white here in RI.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black Oak is in the Red Oak Family, but look a the bark (a small piece is on the table), it is much different. I'm sure you also have Chestnut Oak (which is in the White Oak family), but different leaves, bark and wood. Also, Pin Oak … etc.

From the internet: "The bark is thick, nearly black in color and deeply furrowed with narrow scaly ridges; the inner bark is orange-yellow in color."

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black Oak is in the Red Oak Family, but look a the bark (a small piece is on the table), it is much different. I'm sure you also have Chestnut Oak (which is in the White Oak family), but different leaves, bark and wood. Also, Pin Oak … etc.

From the internet: "The bark is thick, nearly black in color and deeply furrowed with narrow scaly ridges; the inner bark is orange-yellow in color."
It is very common here in the Ozarks..
Maybe more common than Red Oak.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We seem to have a lot of stands of Chestnut Oak around here (generally on rocky slopes), but I have not noticed a lot of Black Oak. Looks like we are near the edge of the range.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, I think White Oak is generally harder than Red Oak, but this stuff is real hard. It seemed tougher to mill than the Red Oak. May have been because it was dryer. (I forgot to hit post)

So thanks for the clarification Hedgerow, that is what I thought, but was not sure.

I think the toughest stuff may be Chestnut Oak, AKA Rock Oak. I'll have to mill some of that one of these days.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, I think White Oak is generally harder than Red Oak, but this stuff is real hard. It seemed tougher to mill than the Red Oak. May have been because it was dryer. (I forgot to hit post)

So thanks for the clarification Hedgerow, that is what I thought, but was not sure.

I think the toughest stuff may be Chestnut Oak, AKA Rock Oak. I'll have to mill some of that one of these days.
Sometimes growing conditions make more difference than species..

Black is hard, but on the whole, it’s not as dense as white oak.

Also does not smell as good as white oak.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mike. I never knew all these different types of oak existed. Lol

At least 58 native to North America. Over 600 different oak species in the world. They hybridize with each other so classification/identification can be difficult and why they are generally lumped into broad categories of white, red, black, swamp, etc. Had a real stumper of an oak tree once and started doing a little reading... blew my mind.

http://www.mast-producing-trees.org/2009/11/native-oaks-of-north-america/