WANT MORE OUT OF SHINDAIWA 757

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 48028

this is a 660, that's about as wide of a squish band as you can have without issue
Thanks for putting up the pics and explaining it to me , theres a lot more involved when you get down to it
m__10fe-jpg.47989

this really has no squish band to speak of, it's all a dome with steeper angles then the piston. I think this is the worst head/ chamber design in the word of saws.

and the pic shows the 757 has a flange.

the saw I did was a work saw.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yes wont be doing any off the modding now , decided to leave it stock
but thank you every one that has commented on here
at least now there is some sort of info out there on theses saws
Peter

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just send it to Brewz or Tree Monkey with a blank check and when it comes back to you, they won't be able to wipe the smile off your face!

I like to play with saws, and also know when I need someone's help. I do a little of the first, and a lot of the second!

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just send it to Brewz or Tree Monkey with a blank check and when it comes back to you, they won't be able to wipe the smile off your face!

I like to play with saws, and also know when I need someone's help. I do a little of the first, and a lot of the second!
i,ll end up selling i recon or maybe not

Last edited:

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if its a reliable saw hang onto it as a good back up saw.
I never go cutting with less than 3 saws.
if you get one stuck you will need another one to cut it out or it will be good for trimming up logs while your milling saw is bolted on the mill.

Looking at those numbers and pics that TM posted, Its not a good saw to modify.
When I said it would be no fun to mill with, I was referring to the fact it will have low compression due to the WIDE squish, crazy high exhaust and low intake will not make good power and it will just end up being a slow boggy saw that will likely increase your workload.

What is the largest size timber you see yourself milling?
The saw you need will be determined by how long of a bar you want to pull.

If your only going to be running up to a 28" bar, something like a Husky 371/372 may do the trick. Massive cheap parts availability!
Next step up in a Husky would be a 394/395 but that are less common and usually pull $1200+ without a problem in Australia.

If you watch and wait, decent Stihl 066's can be had for good prices but are less suited to hard core milling with their inboard clutch.

I'm no Dolmar expert but I am sure you have been speaking to Nick about them. As they are a "lesser know" brand in Australia, saws that will be fantastic for milling will sell cheap if you can find them.

HEre you go:
Stihl 056 Mag II, 93cc or so
I recon you would get it for $400 to $450 if its still available. Id offer $500 posted.
The ignitions on these are the trouble but it has a new one.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moun...s-diy/stihl-056-magnum-ii-chainsaw/1131017077

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if its a reliable saw hang onto it as a good back up saw.
I never go cutting with less than 3 saws.
if you get one stuck you will need another one to cut it out or it will be good for trimming up logs while your milling saw is bolted on the mill.

Looking at those numbers and pics that TM posted, Its not a good saw to modify.
When I said it would be no fun to mill with, I was referring to the fact it will have low compression due to the WIDE squish, crazy high exhaust and low intake will not make good power and it will just end up being a slow boggy saw that will likely increase your workload.

What is the largest size timber you see yourself milling?
The saw you need will be determined by how long of a bar you want to pull.

If your only going to be running up to a 28" bar, something like a Husky 371/372 may do the trick. Massive cheap parts availability!
Next step up in a Husky would be a 394/395 but that are less common and usually pull $1200+ without a problem in Australia.

If you watch and wait, decent Stihl 066's can be had for good prices but are less suited to hard core milling with their inboard clutch.

I'm no Dolmar expert but I am sure you have been speaking to Nick about them. As they are a "lesser know" brand in Australia, saws that will be fantastic for milling will sell cheap if you can find them.

HEre you go:
Stihl 056 Mag II, 93cc or so
I recon you would get it for $400 to $450 if its still available. Id offer $500 posted.
The ignitions on these are the trouble but it has a new one.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moun...s-diy/stihl-056-magnum-ii-chainsaw/1131017077
Thanks for that , i do have a few other saws and ive picked up a 394 xp to build into my milling saw, the most i would milling in width is about 600mm unless i found the right tree ofcourse , but as just starting out milling i would be looking at 300mm maybe , want to learn slowly but right
I appreciate the help and advise given
so far ive learnt quite a bit , thanks every one
Peter

Last edited:

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just send it to Brewz or Tree Monkey with a blank check

Did someone say blank cheque?

I would need to buy a lathe and tooling to do that cylinder and it still would never be great.
Those lowers look tiny! Only make it 3/5 the way across the piston window area.

Cheaper to buy a new Husky 395

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did someone say blank cheque?

I would need to buy a lathe and tooling to do that cylinder and it still would never be great.
Those lowers look tiny! Only make it 3/5 the way across the piston window area.

Cheaper to buy a new Husky 395
or rebuild one haha