High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

When are the cookie cutters gonna learn how to run a saw???

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen so many cookie cutting vids where the guy evidently has no clue how to run a saw for what he's trying to show... (cut speed, rpm, torque, power, and just the improvement over stock), they dog in and rock back and forth, or stall the chain, or the bar is too short for the log, or the log starts to roll away, or some other mistake that makes the vid nearly useless.
A little planning ahead might be helpful, how would it be if Hollywood just shot vids without set up and testing?
But maybe some guys just want to look like they don't know what they are doing???
Lot's of guys appear to know their stuff when it comes to the mods, but then the technique they use in the vid ruins the outcome of the work they put into the saw.

Rant over.....

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
3:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen so many cookie cutting vids where the guy evidently has no clue how to run a saw for what he's trying to show... (cut speed, rpm, torque, power, and just the improvement over stock), they dog in and rock back and forth, or stall the chain, or the bar is too short for the log, or the log starts to roll away, or some other mistake that makes the vid nearly useless.
A little planning ahead might be helpful, how would it be if Hollywood just shot vids without set up and testing?
But maybe some guys just want to look like they don't know what they are doing???
Lot's of guys appear to know their stuff when it comes to the mods, but then the technique they use in the vid ruins the outcome of the work they put into the saw.

Rant over.....
Let’s see your vids filmed in HD quality with the best log securement! For teaching purposes…

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Rant over.....

Well, as long as they're having fun......

I hope it doesn't wreck your life.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never tried to post a vid. I don't doubt there are lots of challenges involved, and I'm thankful for the people who put the time into these vids for the rest of us.
I just wish the well meaning folks that put the time into it would eliminate as many variables as possible.

It's frustrating when you find a vid of a saw that you are looking for, and then there are so many variables it the demo that there is no real useful info to be gleaned.

No, it's not gonna wreck my life....

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear what you’re saying, sometimes I watch people start cutting and instantly move on. 10” log and a 28”+ bar, along with other things you’ve mentioned. We all like modded saws, but the videos where a saw is really tested or setup to shine on its improvements are the ones you keep coming back to and take the time to appreciate.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you want see many pro arborist doing vids or surfing saw forums! notice the word "many" .

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never tried to post a vid. I don't doubt there are lots of challenges involved, and I'm thankful for the people who put the time into these vids for the rest of us.
I just wish the well meaning folks that put the time into it would eliminate as many variables as possible.

It's frustrating when you find a vid of a saw that you are looking for, and then there are so many variables it the demo that there is no real useful info to be gleaned.

No, it's not gonna wreck my life....

Once again the variables creep in and cause mayhem.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We get questioned for running too short of a bar on a big saw, we get questioned for running too long of a bar on a small saw, people bïtch when we cut wood that’s too soft, people bítch when we cut wood that’s too hard.

Someone should head up the Ways and Means For Proper Cookie Cutting Etiquette and set forth some guidelines.

And then they can GFT

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what saws are you looking for??

Mr Awesome

I'm always looking for info on different saws, looking for comparison vids and such, this saw vs that saw type thing.

However, I wasn't really trying to start a war or anything, just complaining bout the way it's not very scientific when there are all the variables, (oops, there's that bad "v" word again).
I look at the vids for information or facts not entertainment, maybe that's where I go wrong, if they're not supposed to be for showing actual performance, then it certainly doesn't matter how it's being done.
When a person is trying to decide between two $1k+ saws it would be nice to have an accurate comparison vid to go by, but I guess it's not intended for that purpose.
The tube is full of worthless vids that do no more than demonstrate that the guy shooting it is clueless as to how to do a thing, I read threads on here all the time of guys criticizing the guy in the vid for being ignorant, but idk, maybe that does not apply to cookie vids...

I'm sorry if I offended you guys, I didn't mean it that way.
Btw, I think there are quite a few guys that do a great job with the saw vids, and they totally know their stuff when it comes to the mods.

But, if'n y'all are enjoying slapping me around, please carry on!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm always looking for info on different saws, looking for comparison vids and such, this saw vs that saw type thing.

However, I wasn't really trying to start a war or anything, just complaining bout the way it's not very scientific when there are all the variables, (oops, there's that bad "v" word again).
I look at the vids for information or facts not entertainment, maybe that's where I go wrong, if they're not supposed to be for showing actual performance, then it certainly doesn't matter how it's being done.
When a person is trying to decide between two $1k+ saws it would be nice to have an accurate comparison vid to go by, but I guess it's not intended for that purpose.
The tube is full of worthless vids that do no more than demonstrate that the guy shooting it is clueless as to how to do a thing, I read threads on here all the time of guys criticizing the guy in the vid for being ignorant, but idk, maybe that does not apply to cookie vids...

I'm sorry if I offended you guys, I didn't mean it that way.
Btw, I think there are quite a few guys that do a great job with the saw vids, and they totally know their stuff when it comes to the mods.

But, if'n y'all are enjoying slapping me around, please carry on!
We’re just having some fun. It’s all good.

I make quite a few videos. Sometimes it’s hard to remember what shape a particular chain might’ve been in the last time I used it, did it need sharpening, did it need the rakers dropped a little bit, was it cutting straight? And then sometimes we cut out. Sometimes the saw bogs in the cut. The point is, there is such a huge variation in the chains that one guy uses versus the next guy that unless you’re familiar with the author and how he runs his chains, the videos aren’t really of much use.

If you’re curious about a couple models, send a PM to someone you trust and ask. Or ask in the open forum, but be prepared to get 25 different answers all with a different perspective

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh..... My internet sucks I don't do videos. And if I do happen to watch a saw vid. I want to hear the saw more than see it.

You can't hide a Shi t job in the audio. But a good chain in a half ass log will make a wildthing look good. There are some good books on acoustics and performance. Once you get that down it takes the fun outta watching videos.

Ie something loud isn't necessarily fast, but the right pitch and tone for the volume.......... And the rest is history.

Think Joe was doing some pipe testing. Think along those lines if it helps.

Steven

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think our builders do a good job of showing the results of their work. Part of what you need to keep in mind is some of our builders live in town, so they don't
have a lot of room to spread out and set up different work stands or just have a big log out in the open.

Some of our builders live in a more rural setting and can have a single big log to test multiple saws on.

With mine, I'm just mainly posting videos of the vintage saws I rebuild and there I'm not trying to prove anything other than showing them running
and cutting.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think our builders do a good job of showing the results of their work. Part of what you need to keep in mind is some of our builders live in town, so they don't
have a lot of room to spread out and set up different work stands or just have a big log out in the open.

Some of our builders live in a more rural setting and can have a single big log to test multiple saws on.

With mine, I'm just mainly posting videos of the vintage saws I rebuild and there I'm not trying to prove anything other than showing them running
and cutting.

Makes sense!

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they try to wiggle on ya, hold ‘em down with your left leg! If you’re spry enough… “high leg stance” @chipper1 :-D
My wife walked by when I was reading your post, she did not realize that you were talking about holding down a log. Her idea of what was happening was um.......a little different. :buenrollo:Had to explain the topic to her.