High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Using a hydraulic press to assemble cases ?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya... I really do. For me its just not worth the risk. But to each his own. Let us know how it goes!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I might add to the above post after being around every aspect of building automotive engines I have adapted both machining methods and assembly methods on various engines .Chainsaw naturally are much smaller than say a Ford 460 V8 but the same methods can apply .The tools just need to be smaller .For example the circlip installers I have made are almost the same as used in the factory ,again much smaller but they work .

circlip installer tool pics please.....( said the fat fingered arthritic old SOB in the back of the room ) :confundio:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Worked like a dream, totally overthought this. Lubed everything with some mix oil and pressed the crank into the flywheel side first. Then the pto case onto the crank using a large pipe nipple. Stopped when the case gasket made contact and finished with the case bolts. Easy as can be, required little to no pressure from the press really. Seals look absolutely fine to me, I will of course pressure test at the end.
IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2297.JPG

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worked like a dream, totally overthought this. Lubed everything with some mix oil and pressed the crank into the flywheel side first. Then the pto case onto the crank using a large pipe nipple. Stopped when the case gasket made contact and finished with the case bolts. Easy as can be, required little to no pressure from the press really. Seals look absolutely fine to me, I will of course pressure test at the end.
View attachment 73650 View attachment 73651
Cranks in backwards......

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought the Stihl ones from DD...they work great
I have the 8mm one for the 200t..and it does work great with Stihl clips...unfortunately I find the bux tool one I have for the 12mm loves the Stihl clips only too. and the Meteor pistons im using more of now dont always align perfect with the stihl clips.

if there is a better/cheaper way...im all fer a pic er two

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 8mm one for the 200t..and it does work great with Stihl clips...unfortunately I find the bux tool one I have for the 12mm loves the Stihl clips only too. and the Meteor pistons im using more of now dont always align perfect with the stihl clips.

if there is a better/cheaper way...im all fer a pic er two
I did have trouble with one clip ,in the Stihl tool but I think it was a hyway. ...not had any trouble with meteor or husky clips

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
circlip installer tool pics please.....( said the fat fingered arthritic old SOB in the back of the room ) :confundio:
I had a pic I thought I put on here .Give me a couple of days,lady friend is coming for a visit .--I'm old but I damned sure aren't dead .That aside it will take me a while to find it ,can't remember what external hard drive it's on .

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 73650 View attachment 73651

Nice looking job -- the seals look fine. I purchased a new old stock OEM case for a MS460 project. The seals are still in, but I'm not sure I could do as well as you did.
My fear is that the seal-spring on the back side may pop loose. Does that sound unrealistic?

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Part of being able to get away with this may be the crank itself. I don't have a lot of Stihl saw experience so I'm not real familiar with their crank machining. What I noticed is that all the shoulders on the China crank are very rounded and smooth. Maybe this was done intentionally as to not catch the seal on the way through ? Anyone have a factory crank and a China crank they can compare ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed that too, but the seal wouldn't go over the rounded lip without the spring coming off. A tiny pick would probably help to roll the lip of the seal onto the larger part of the crank.

Stihl and husky oem cranks have a sharper step on them