Tree cutting skills. Be careful who you learn or take advise from

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was about 20 years old when the "sawmill" from the village came to cut down a tree near me so I went to see him in action. First, he cut off a branch that would help him bring the tree down in the right direction, and then he was greatly surprised that the tree flew in the opposite direction, catching on the power line. Of course, I mentioned earlier that this will happen, but of course he will not listen to the young one ;-)

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be the first one to step out with my 25 years of western softwood timber cutting experience and tell you I would be afraid to sink my saw into a oak or other standing hardwood without a seasoned mentor by my side. I might know a thing or two about a thing or two cutten trees, but hardwoods are not my game.
Yeah, I have very little experience one way or the other but cutting oaks on a clearing job was pretty different. Fortunately I was just slashing them before a dozer came through and plowed them into a pile, but they responded way different. The ones I cut were more like 4-10 trunks coming from one base, after you had half a dozen on the ground it became a twitchy, brushy mess. I escaped unscathed but there were a few hairy moments.

I sorta guessed as much David, I was just giving you a hard time. Those trees were in really poor spots and I'm not looking forward to dumping the rest of them, but Slashers can't be choosers. Now, a pine with a clear line of fire or un-snagged top is an absolute joy to drop!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I saw in the wood score pics thread that @Hinerman has a Log Mule. I wanted to see one in action so I searched it on YouTube. This video popped up and looked interesting. I’m sure @Funky sawman will like it. But I think the guy needs some schoolin on felling:eek:…one of those “been doing this for 40 years wrong” things. Also the loader is hilarious. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about building contraptions to get stuff done and using what I have vs. conventional methods, but the process just looks funny when it goes. I don’t want to spoil it, you’ll see.

Last edited:

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, what're you doing next weekend? ;) I'm trying to get my diff outta my neighbors shop before I tackle much else, but as soon as that project is over the trees are next.
Takin kids to camp. Have other trees to do this winter after that but nothing scheduled yet. After the XPW gets here would be kewl…get Jeff over and swap dolmars.

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I saw in the wood score pics thread that @Hinerman has a Log Mule. I wanted to see one in action so I searched it on YouTube. This video popped up and looked interesting. I’m sure @Funky sawman will like it. But I think the guy needs some schoolin on felling:eek:…one of those “been doing this for 40 years wrong” things. Also the loader is hilarious. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about building contraptions to get stuff done and using what I have vs. conventional methods, but the process just looks funny when it goes. I don’t want to spoil it, you’ll see.
Ive seen this style loader quite a few times. Quite effective. Simple and cheap.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he says he doesn't scar up the forest floor or hurt young timber as he scours the bark off every young tree in the woods. And he did a great job splitting (barberchair) that oak,
Kudos to him for carrying on tradition but I cringed when I watched him drop both trees - he wrecked the butt log on both!

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.. Be careful when you are learning how to cut and takedown trees, where you get the advise from... Be safe out their my friends, its one of the most rewarding jobs in the world, but one of the most dangerous too.
Thanks for starting this thread, which has got me thinking. Seems that no matter how much there is to learn about falling, there's always the chance that something's going to drop or blow back. Nearly all of the local white oaks have dead branches in the mid story and there's no telling when one will let go for no apparent reason. I've seen this. Then there's storm damage, hangers, carpenter ants, & windy days. And ticks, which put me in the hospital the better part of a week last year.

Got a thinning job coming up shortly with a local logger, who hopefully will keep an eye on me.

Last edited:

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a salvage and shelterwood cut on a gun club property here in pa. Took out dead oaks, hemlock, black birch etc.
It was about 7 years ago. There were 4 20" red oaks with 3 marked to fell. I failed to realize as it was sunny that the one top was broke and hanging in the one i was felling. I had that top strike me in the head. Yes i wore a helmet that day, i compression fractured 1 vertebrae in my neck. Was real lucky. Was only 5" diameter but it did its damage.
The morale is i love guys thats say they can cut xx feet in a day or cords etc. If you dont your not a logger etc. Every situation has its own scenario. We all know what we know and yup i listen to anything anyone says until i hear cow pies flopping and than i just turn them off.
Heres one that i knew was hollow first bore in. It had to go and well i just adapted after i found it out. Sometimes the game changes as you find out.20221002_124631.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's right. Some days you just don't get much done and some days you do it all.
Yessir! And I can tell ya, if something just doesn’t feel right, leave the woods and come back tomorrow. You gotta have a clear head, and your gut has to agree. A wise old logger also taught me: “If 2 things go wrong in the woods, don’t stick around to find out what the 3rd will be!”

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yessir! And I can tell ya, if something just doesn’t feel right, leave the woods and come back tomorrow. You gotta have a clear head, and your gut has to agree. A wise old logger also taught me: “If 2 things go wrong in the woods, don’t stick around to find out what the 3rd will be!”

I like that attitude! I agree there's sometimes a guy gets a feeling that this isnt a safe tree at all! Sometimes when the escape route isn't safe and such. Never any harm by being aware of extra hazards out there!

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's also times when your hair stands up and you know something else is out there besides you. That's when I put my tail up and beat tracks for home. Come back another time and it's just fine.
I almost got to be cat poop once. Some owls warned me.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a salvage and shelterwood cut on a gun club property here in pa. Took out dead oaks, hemlock, black birch etc.
It was about 7 years ago. There were 4 20" red oaks with 3 marked to fell. I failed to realize as it was sunny that the one top was broke and hanging in the one i was felling. I had that top strike me in the head. Yes i wore a helmet that day, i compression fractured 1 vertebrae in my neck. Was real lucky. Was only 5" diameter but it did its damage.
The morale is i love guys thats say they can cut xx feet in a day or cords etc. If you dont your not a logger etc. Every situation has its own scenario. We all know what we know and yup i listen to anything anyone says until i hear cow pies flopping and than i just turn them off.
Heres one that i knew was hollow first bore in. It had to go and well i just adapted after i found it out. Sometimes the game changes as you find out.View attachment 363209
Wow close one glad your ok. I've had a few like that