Tree cutting skills. Be careful who you learn or take advise from

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with norm, no short bars for me felling, and so does Walt.
Good morning Amigo, like 70mph winds here this AM, cool comparison your neck of the woods to Australia, I like that. Gotta be rugged I'm sure. I was trying to load a video to share, a good storm tree, uprooted fir I had to cut. But darn thing won't allow not sure why, it's on my end though..some days I think I'm getting a little computer or tech savvy, someday, I realize I'm not:)

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who here has ever applied the Coos bay cut? I have twice on the coast, because I wanted to apply ot two something, so when it really counted if I had to use it I could be familiar and apply it. So happened the two coast trees, pretty much required it. Beyond psi, and lean was unbelievable, head and side.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve done some 45° leaners in wood that doesn’t hinge and even swung one a little, plunge and trigger. Norm, I may have sent you those on FB. Never done the Coos but read and studied it, for some reason I liked the one on the left better but I don’t remember why now.

896BC246-6A05-4E54-9BB1-C500F4DAD6E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the Coos Bay (triangle) cut on even really heavy leaning straight trees. The T cut does the same thing but has a faster trigger. The downshot is because of the shape of what there is when it lets go it can pull more center fiber.

For stuff with brittle fiber or things with convoluted leans… Like most east coast trees, bore cutting is a safer bet. I’ll still try to use a Coos Bay cut where I think it’s safe, and often I’ll push it where I probably should bore cut because it’s just a LOT easier.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve done some 45° leaners in wood that doesn’t hinge and even swung one a little, plunge and trigger. Norm, I may have sent you those on FB. Never done the Coos but read and studied it, for some reason I liked the one on the left better but I don’t remember why now.

View attachment 363103
Nice

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found that interesting and good. If Beranek had not mentioned and described in his book and in detail I never would have attempted. I like the way Berabek has done it the best, and these leaders I'm referring too, I would not attempt, any other cuts wouldn't dream of even a shallow face..I wish I had pictures of these trees, worst leaders I've ever encountered. One came down in a storm on its own, so I never got to cut it, but saw that as the only way. It was a tall fir about 2 foot around or so, like a leaning tall and bend like a banana.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is always something to learn. Every tree is different, and you need as many tricks in your bag as you can carry.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I were to go to work for @Cat 525 or @Loony661 tomorrow - I'd probably have to learn the job all over again. For example - I was unaware that a guy needs to sever the base of a Walnut in order to save it out.

I can easily see why eastern techniques are why they are - Euro fallers have similar techniques although some of theirs are mandated by Euro safety governing agencies.

If @bitzer were to come around - he could contribute a lot to this discussion.
Likewise, if I traveled west, those tall firs and pines would be unlike anything I’ve dealt with here! Not that I couldn’t cut one down, but you guys would probably be laughing, or cringing, at me the whole time.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is always something to learn. Every tree is different, and you need as many tricks in your bag as you can carry.
Exactly. Just when you think you have it all figured out, the next tree humbles you and reminds you that you don’t.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On walnut which we never face I just bore in on the side it's leaning to. Leave maybe an inch or so to hold it up . Keep boring towards the back side till you get close. Pull out and slash down on the face just enough it will break and not pull any meat. It should set down. Then bore the back side out.
Hope that explains it a bit!
Easier said than done sometimes. If it's a veneer butt you just have to make sure you don't pull or split it. Believe me it happens.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Likewise, if I traveled west, those tall firs and pines would be unlike anything I’ve dealt with here! Not that I couldn’t cut one down, but you guys would probably be laughing, or cringing, at me the whole time.
The ones I’ve done were pretty easy.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. Just when you think you have it all figured out, the next tree humbles you and reminds you that you don’t.

I started tippin sticks when I was 10. Mostly birch and poplar with a double bit. I only had my grandma to teach me, since my grandpa died shortly before I was born. The rules were no cuttin in the wet and tell someone when I was gonna cut. When I was 12 I got to use grandpa's 031 that had been sotting in the shed my whole life and then some. I read that old felling manual from cover to cover and then again. It had all sorts of felling diagrams and pictures to better explain what it said. It was worth it's weight in gold. It showed how to sharpen a chain, maintain a bar, everything. We got the saw running and I spent every summer using it to cut wood until my grandma died and the land got sold (my uncle took the saw and I'm not sure what happened to it).

I miss those days. I have since bought/collected my own saws. It's a passion and a lifestyle.

Too many yuppies on youtube tryin to look cool. I just keep to myself and keep learnin.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 363103
Is the one on the right a “coos bay” technique?