Tree cutting skills. Be careful who you learn or take advise from

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for starting this thread, which has got me thinking. Seems that no matter how much there is to learn about falling, there's always the chance that something's going to drop or blow back. Nearly all of the local white oaks have dead branches in the mid story and there's no telling when one will let go for no apparent reason. I've seen this. Then there's storm damage, hangers, carpenter ants, & windy days. And ticks, which put me in the hospital the better part of a week last year.

Got a thinning job coming up shortly with a local logger, who hopefully will keep an eye on me.
Aww thanks for the kind words I'm humbled. Yeah, sometimes no ryme or reason. I laid down a sudden oak death, dead standing tan oak. Coastline once, 18inches maybe 24 inches around. Maybe 80 or 90 footer, laid it against a tree down hill of it. Super steep hillside, the tree I layer it against I can't remember pepperwood I think, and 3-4 foot or better base, all limbed out. Not even a super hard lay, I was across the.small creek and canyon from the tree I just layer the tan oak against, which was now flat on the ground. I'm catching my breathe, fueling my saw, maybe 5 minutes went by, and that whole pepperwood just sealed off the hillside, like someone just reased it, or wiped it right off the hill. I was blown away, totally safe across where I was, but eyes open wider. Couldn't really explain that one, because it still seems like not a hard enough hit, and shouldn't of happened. And the other tree falling, nobody cared, except in another minute or two, I was going to be bucking my way toward it, getting the oak in a few cuts to decompose faster. Who knows what might have happened.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yessir! And I can tell ya, if something just doesn’t feel right, leave the woods and come back tomorrow. You gotta have a clear head, and your gut has to agree. A wise old logger also taught me: “If 2 things go wrong in the woods, don’t stick around to find out what the 3rd will be!”
Yep, there's been some days it just seems like everything branches etc is whacking ya, and the trees fighting ya. Some days we have literally packed up or called a early day, and some days are off.

Last edited:

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I saw in the wood score pics thread that @Hinerman has a Log Mule. I wanted to see one in action so I searched it on YouTube. This video popped up and looked interesting. I’m sure @Funky sawman will like it. But I think the guy needs some schoolin on felling:eek:…one of those “been doing this for 40 years wrong” things. Also the loader is hilarious. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about building contraptions to get stuff done and using what I have vs. conventional methods, but the process just looks funny when it goes. I don’t want to spoil it, you’ll see.
Bob with mules is cool! Bob's a pretty stout dude too

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Takin kids to camp. Have other trees to do this winter after that but nothing scheduled yet. After the XPW gets here would be kewl…get Jeff over and swap dolmars.
I'd love to run an XSXPW and one of the legendary Dull-more's. Back on topic, without naming names I had a guy critique my hinge cut to face cut ratios and "excessive use of wedges". I turned my saw over to him and he proceeded to have three trees fall in the exact opposite direction than he was intending. After the third one he shut the saw off and handed it back to me with a grin on his face, and that was the end of the critiquing for the day. To be fair, the guy can safely drop a tree, but the timing was pretty funny.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Show us what ya got Norm! Teach us your ways!
I figure it's alot of just everyday life, not always Glory or precision cuts. Sometimes we get beat up. I figure I'm just an everyday guy, who tries to be humble when I can. The crews here I tried and lead and inspire on my county job. And everyday I get to cut in God's country I can't complain l. And let's be honest I love what I do and I love saws. When I was able to apply for what's called the countywide Rover position, and pretty much give up Asphalt work, and truck driving. And get my own truck and chipper and outfit it full of saws, here at the county. And be able to cover 1,500 road miles. I was thinking I'm getting a dream job!

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to run an XSXPW and one of the legendary Dull-more's. Back on topic, without naming names I had a guy critique my hinge cut to face cut ratios and "excessive use of wedges". I turned my saw over to him and he proceeded to have three trees fall in the exact opposite direction than he was intending. After the third one he shut the saw off and handed it back to me with a grin on his face, and that was the end of the critiquing for the day. To be fair, the guy can safely drop a tree, but the timing was pretty funny.
That's legit. I like that too, show me what you can do attitude handing over the saw. Classic, humbling.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure it's alot of just everyday life, not always Glory or precision cuts. Sometimes we get beat up. I figure I'm just an everyday guy, who tries to be humble when I can. The crews here I tried and lead and inspire on my county job. And everyday I get to cut in God's country I can't complain l. And let's be honest I love what I do and I love saws. When I was able to apply for what's called the countywide Rover position, and pretty much give up Asphalt work, and truck driving. And get my own truck and chipper and outfit it full of saws, here at the county. And be able to cover 1,500 road miles. I was thinking I'm getting a dream job!
If my county hwy dept had a position like that, I’d probably still be working there!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure it's alot of just everyday life, not always Glory or precision cuts. Sometimes we get beat up.
People have to see this too. Of course everyone wants to see the cool stuff when things never go wrong, but newbies and others interested in the work need to see the real life struggles of it as well.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing that affects cutting here is temperature change. If the walnut is froze you have to leave more hold points because it will want to tend to snap off. When it's thawing it tends to hang on till the last dogs hung! Sometimes it'll pull the root up on your last hold point. Doesn't hurt anything but a guy needs to be aware of it! Every day and tree is different as we all know.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often think how much knowledge I have gained in 46 years of logging and appreciate being blessed enough to have been able to have that opportunity. But if I went west or east I am sure it would be a lot of learning again!

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best instructional videos in the internet today are the BC Faller Training series from WorkSafe BC.

This was going to be my contribution to the thread. As a complete tourist these are what I'd trust and obviously represent the same classroom material that you'd be studying as part of a course.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often think how much knowledge I have gained in 46 years of logging and appreciate being blessed enough to have been able to have that opportunity. But if I went west or east I am sure it would be a lot of learning again!
Sometimes I think that I should come down and follow you around for a day - gain some tips and tricks so when I get into more Walnut here, I don’t cost myself lots of valuable timber!

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes I think that I should come down and follow you around for a day - gain some tips and tricks so when I get into more Walnut here, I don’t cost myself lots of valuable timber!

That would be fine sometime, Be glad to share and likewise I may pick up something from you!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uhm...I have not done tons of trees, but I have never had one go the wrong way. (knock on wood) Can't afford to, so I make sure...

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There most definitely is some stupid chit on the internet in regards to tree work....best advice ever is to stay humble, trust your gut, learn proper felling, climbing, and rigging procedures and practice with a "safety first" approach at all times.....

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There most definitely is some stupid chit on the internet in regards to tree work....best advice ever is to stay humble, trust your gut, learn proper felling, climbing, and rigging procedures and practice with a "safety first" approach at all times.....

This!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never say never. One day it will happen, question is, “Can you afford the mistake?”
Oh, I know...I have a backup plan but I intend to never need it.When it counts, around houses and such, which is usually, I change limb weight and put cable(s) in the tree. A lot less fun that trying sizwheels in the woods where it's not the end of the world if it goes wrong. Though occasionally I get to do some of that.

I was just pretty unimpressed with the story. Talk smack and then dump three over backwards? How do you profess to know something about dropping trees and lose 3? I've missed my lay by a bit here and there, but backwards?